Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tag Along With No License (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=334846)

Brbpuppy 12-06-2017 10:08 AM

Tag Along With No License

Just wondering if any of you fellas know if it would be legal to bring my wife for a ride in the bush while possibly getting a few grouse, even though she doesn't have a hunting license? Like, she would just be chilling in the truck kind of thing. As she has a broken leg, and wants to tag along with me this weekend.

Thanks guys,

Albertadiver 12-06-2017 10:09 AM

Legal

Okotokian 12-06-2017 10:11 AM

As long as she isn't actively helping you hunt (like pushing bush, etc.) totally legal.

D4l3k 12-06-2017 06:48 PM

Just ensure that if a CO talks to her she says she is just going for a ride

I have heard of tag along friends getting a ticket for things like having binos around their neck or saying 'WE' are out hunting etc

Dumb, but it happens

Brbpuppy 12-06-2017 08:51 PM

Okay, appreciate it guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBF 12-06-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4l3k (Post 3683872)
Just ensure that if a CO talks to her she says she is just going for a ride

I have heard of tag along friends getting a ticket for things like having binos around their neck or saying 'WE' are out hunting etc

Dumb, but it happens

Have to be a real low life to give someone a ticket for that

raab 12-06-2017 09:14 PM

I dont see how she can be hunting without a gun or bow. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you only have the one shotgun.

dfarms11 12-06-2017 09:31 PM

If she doesn't have a gun she 's not hunting. End of story. When I go fishing, and have other people in the boat with me, do they need a license? Are they fishing as well? Don't think so.

Freerider 12-06-2017 09:41 PM

Ok I’ve heard it mentioned a few times that if you don’t have a license can’t push bush actually couple times in the last week. I honestly hadn’t thought of that not a fan of pushing bush. But here’s a thought would calling not fall under that logic as well. Hypothetical situation (honestly is wish I had this kind of luck) friend and I go on a backcountry elk both have tags he calls a bull in for me I kill it we still have 2days left to hunt. By this logic I would not be able to assist him by calling or glassing for his bull. Because I’d be willing to bet that regulation gets broken 100s of times every year.

bezzola 12-06-2017 10:28 PM

My has been with me lots in the bush and even been stopped by the wardens asked if she was hunting she said no and that was where it stayed.

TBark 12-07-2017 12:44 AM

U see it all the time on hunting shows, first guy tags out, then he calls for the other guy, elk is best example.
Is this ok ? Who knows, the caller may still have his lic but no tag, so is he ok to be hunting elk ?

TBark

Flatlandliver 12-07-2017 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfarms11 (Post 3683987)
If she doesn't have a gun she 's not hunting. End of story. When I go fishing, and have other people in the boat with me, do they need a license? Are they fishing as well? Don't think so.

Nope.

1(1)(o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;

(6) Where
(a) a person has the intent to hunt, and believes or appears to believe that the person is hunting,
(b) what the person is purporting to hunt is actually a representation of a wildlife animal that has been set out by a wildlife officer or wildlife guardian, and
(c) having regard to the time when, the location where and any other relevant circumstances under which the activity takes place, the activity would, if that representation were a real wildlife animal of the kind represented, constitute an act of hunting that would be an offence against a hunting provision of this Act,
then the person is deemed for the purposes of this Act to be hunting such a wildlife animal and is guilty of an offence against that provision.

H380 12-07-2017 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBF (Post 3683958)
Have to be a real low life to give someone a ticket for that

They are out there .:scared0018:

Subaru297 12-07-2017 09:16 AM

For anyone wanting to look this up yourself here is the Wildlife act link.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...BqibXLbORWudSQ

Or just Google Wildlife Act. Took me a while to find as I was searching for regulations or rules and I couldn't find the correct document.

Section 1 (o) has the "hunt" definition
Section 2 (a) has a clause of what is not determined to be hunting.

Bring your paint and easel along and you are good to go!:)

Big Sky 12-07-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaru297 (Post 3684225)

AO forum needs a like button!!

Mulehahn 12-07-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaru297 (Post 3684225)

You may be joking, but that is pretty close to the what is actually the best policy. Take a long a camera (even just a cheap point and shoot) and say have the person say photographer. They can legally call and look for animals for their own enjoyment; then should you be successful hunting they can document your success.

Now most COs will understand a person with a person just coming along for a ride, but it helps to CYA. Always take a camera along. Plus you never know what you might see.

Lefty-Canuck 12-07-2017 10:32 AM

How do you mentor new hunters if they can't observe the hunt?

We didn't all learn from forums and the internet.

LC

Akoch 12-07-2017 10:53 AM

Is every guide ever guilty of hunting without a license? By the definition provided above the argument could easily be made that all guides whether they have a client or not (scouting) is pursuing game for the purpose of hunting but have no license themselves. Do guides get an exception and can legally “hunt” without a license? How about a father who has already filled his tag taking children out teaching them to hunt? The child legally can’t hunt without the father there hunting with them.

If you define hunting as anything without including the intent to kill there are too many scenarios to list that would be illegal.

Lying and saying that you’re rattling deer for photography purposes in the same clearing that your friend is hunting, or you randomly decided to noisily hike through a patch of thick bush while waiting for your buddy who is hunting would not make me feel good about the experience. Helping a friend, family member, or client hunt should not be considered hunting.

Big Grey Wolf 12-07-2017 11:42 AM

When your tag elk/moose etc is filled you can no longer participate in hunt. You need to chill out in camp with your gun locked in the truck. ( Unless of course you have a deer tag etc to fill)

jkav 12-07-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3684310)
When your tag elk/moose etc is filled you can no longer participate in hunt. You need to chill out in camp with your gun locked in the truck. ( Unless of course you have a deer tag etc to fill)

Plus coyote and wolf.

Freerider 12-07-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkav (Post 3684333)
Plus coyote and wolf.

Elk Calls are very effective for Wolves

Flatlandliver 12-07-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3684270)
How do you mentor new hunters if they can't observe the hunt?

We didn't all learn from forums and the internet.

LC

They can observe all they want.
They cannot “push bush” or call animals for you.
Keep them on your hip and enjoy the day.
Knowing the law is a big part of mentoring imo.

Dick284 12-07-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3684310)

Coyotes, red fox, and wolves are probably open at the same time, and a resident doesn't require a licence either. Go hunt some varmints.

Subaru297 12-07-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatlandliver (Post 3684357)
They can observe all they want.
They cannot “push bush” or call animals for you.
Keep them on your hip and enjoy the day.
Knowing the law is a big part of mentoring imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 3684365)
Coyotes, red fox, and wolves are probably open at the same time, and a resident doesn't require a licence either. Go hunt some varmints.

Thanks for this. This is my understanding too.

There is a definition of a "Client" as well for guiding.

For the purposes of subsection (1), a client is accompanied by
another person if the two are sufficiently close to each other that
the other person is able to provide direct advice and assistance to
the client without the benefit of any radio, telephone or other
similar device for electronic communication.

Lefty-Canuck 12-07-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 3684365)

Red fox only on private land.

LC

Dick284 12-07-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3684404)
Red fox only on private land.

LC

I mostly hunt private land.

Akoch 12-07-2017 06:26 PM

(2) A person shall not be regarded as having hunted a subject animal
(a)
for the purposes of subsection (1)(o)(ii), if
(i) the person was not carrying a weapon, and
(ii) the purpose of the person’s activity was restricted to watching, photographing, drawing or painting a picture of the animal,

Exactly, should have followed that link to the wildlife act earlier. It’s perfectly fine for someone to tag along as long as they don’t have a weapon and they are just watching.

cody j 12-08-2017 06:05 AM

So if one of my kids draws a moose tag I can't call a bull in for them? BS

Roderek 12-08-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody j (Post 3684799)
So if one of my kids draws a moose tag I can't call a bull in for them? BS

Pretty sure you can if you have your wildlife certificate.

Freerider 12-08-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roderek (Post 3684871)
Pretty sure you can if you have your wildlife certificate.

I am not sure anymore not the way I read this section of the wildlife act.

(o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to
a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search
for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in
subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person
is so hunting;

I agree it doesn't make sense and I'll admit reading this now after the conversations I had this week. I've broken this regulation before with out knowing it by calling and glassing for game I didn't have a licence for. I am thinking this might be one to have a conversation with a CO about to get clarified. A person should be able to assist others with their hunt its one of the best parts of hunting. Like lefty said how else are you supposed to mentor someone, I guess make sure they tag out before you and then send them back to the truck/camp because their not allowed to hang out with you anymore.