Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Decent but affordable drop away rest (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=242076)

.Stephen. 01-11-2015 11:34 AM

Decent but affordable drop away rest

Hey everyone. Looking to purchase a new rest and wondering what you would suguest. Would like to keep it at 100 or less. Thanks.

normanrd 01-11-2015 11:59 AM

Look for a used Qad ultra rest if all you got is $100. Imo all the others just don't have the features and reliability of the qad. I've been using them for the last 5 years on my hunting bows and target bows for 10's of thousands of arrows in all kinds of environments and have never had a failure of any kind. I started with the rocked before that and had a couple of problems with it when it got wet. Before that I used the shaky Hunter. They were good, but a little on the loud side. I still have a couple shaky hunters kicking around. If you want one to try let me know and you can have it for the price of postage.

RayM77 01-11-2015 12:16 PM

QAD also makes a hunter ultra rest which is under $100 new.http://www.qadinc.com/shop/hunter-ultrarest/

RoscoeP 01-11-2015 03:57 PM

Drop away

Try an APA

brohymn2 01-11-2015 07:18 PM

Ripcord

L.O.S.T.Arrow 01-12-2015 07:49 AM

:D Put the money out for a QAD ...Or for under a $100.00 you can get a top end Ugly Cookie [WB] with no moving parts with deadly accuracy in right hands...

Neil

NBFK 01-12-2015 07:59 AM

I'm on the fence about qads. I found the mole skin on the rest loud when bowhunting in -25. I also had a brand new hdx pile up a few weeks before hunting season. The good thing with qad is the warranty. It was an over the counter exchange and I was in good shape again. Check out trophy taker I ran one of these for two seasons and liked it a lot. If trophy taker made a smack down that latched up you could have my qad.

.Stephen. 01-12-2015 08:21 AM

Thanks everyone. I have heard good things about trophy taker from a few people and actually have seen the smackdown pro on amazon for 99.00 instead of 180.00

BigRackLover 01-12-2015 09:52 AM

trophy ridge HX is also another one to consider.

Lefty-Canuck 01-12-2015 09:54 AM

I switched out my Ripcord for a QAD HDX, they are now on all my bows and I don't even look anywhere else.

LC

SonofDixie 01-12-2015 10:23 AM

I'm using the PSE Phantom. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Kurt505 01-12-2015 10:54 AM

In all honesty, a QAD ultra rest is the way to go. It might cost a bit more but they are arguably the best rest on the market and will last for thousands of shots. Their warranty is second to none as well. If I were you I'd just save up a little longer, there's plenty of time before next hunting season.

Ddawg 01-12-2015 07:01 PM

Ripcord

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2694309)
I switched out my Ripcord for a QAD HDX, they are now on all my bows and I don't even look anywhere else.

LC

Lefty did you have problems with your ripcord? In your option what make's the Quad a better product over Ripcord. I replaced my WB with a Ripcord, so far no issues, really like the drop away over the WB.

Thanks

nelsonob1 01-12-2015 07:07 PM

I have 2014 QAD Ultra, hardly used that you can have for $100. PM me if interested.

Lefty-Canuck 01-12-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddawg (Post 2694996)
Lefty did you have problems with your ripcord? In your option what make's the Quad a better product over Ripcord. I replaced my WB with a Ripcord, so far no issues, really like the drop away over the WB.

Thanks

I never personally had an issue with reliability, I find the QAD easier to set in an up position with one hand holding the riser. I can have my release attached and set the rest, not as easy to do with the Ripcord. Also if I have to draw down the bow the QAD stays up....the ripcord doesn't. I personally know of more folks that have had issues with the ripcord failing over the QAD, but I know the QAD is not without failures.

LC

reddeerhunter 01-12-2015 09:21 PM

Whisker

Lose 5fps and get a whisker biscuit. Ultimate hunting unit. The best in the world are accurate with WB. I don't want to start a crazy thread about it. But for 60$ u can get one and know failure is not an option.
To me a drop away is like a mechanical, if it can fail, with my luck, it will. My time is precious as I work 320 days a yr. So I get closer and get her done. Fixed BH's, 70lb bow and a WB.

338Bluff 01-12-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddawg (Post 2694996)

Thanks

I went the other way....pulled the Ripcord off and replaced it with a WB. There is zero effect to accuracy at hunting distances and it is bomb proof.

Two years ago I came to full draw 3 times on the same moose. It is an incredible pain when your arrow does not stay `loaded`. Ripcord came off the next weekend.

Other than that I found the Ripcords to be great for reliability and accuracy. Seem to be well built. Have had a couple of Trophy Takers but had issues with the internal spring mechanism breaking.

Might go back to a QAD on the hunting rig. Target bow has a metal launcher on a micro-adjust rest for simplicity and reliability.

backyard 01-13-2015 11:29 AM

I have tried a few different ones , revolution, twister, wb, octane, axt recon(will never go to this again), so far I like the twister and revolution

BigRackLover 01-13-2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm360 (Post 2695824)
I have tried a few different ones , revolution, twister, wb, octane, axt recon(will never go to this again), so far I like the twister and revolution

revolution worked good for you? What do you use for hunting?

backyard 01-13-2015 07:08 PM

It worked good not sure but seems to be getting some fletching hitting now. That was on my mathews my hunting for bow 2014. But this year I will be using my RPM which has the twister on it right now.