Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Two Alberta First Nations want to appeal decision against Grassy Mountain coal mine (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=401545)

K45 07-23-2021 09:49 AM

Two Alberta First Nations want to appeal decision against Grassy Mountain coal mine

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...mine-1.6113693

elkhunter11 07-23-2021 10:13 AM

It all comes down to money, if the price is right, the environment doesn't matter. And if they can get compensation from the government, and don't have to actually have mining to earn that money, even better. Welcome to our 21st century society.

Anvil1010 07-23-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4396890)
It all comes down to money, if the price is right, the environment doesn't matter. And if they can get compensation from the government, and don't have to actually have mining to earn that money, even better. Welcome to our 21st century society.

^This. :angry3:

CBintheNorth 07-23-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Stoney to Piikani: "We'll just hide in the weeds here until this is over and then jump out and yell "What about ME?!" "No one asked ME!"
"They'll have no choice but to pay."

Dean2 07-23-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

YUP!!!:angry3:Keepers of the land don't you know, unless there is cash crossing their palms.

gman1978 07-23-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4396915)
YUP!!!:angry3:Keepers of the land don't you know, unless there is cash crossing their palms.

They are taking advantage of a weak society and weak government. I am sure they just sit back and laugh. This has nothing to do with the environment.

Simplefarmer 07-23-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

No different than anyone else really... Is TC Energy not suing the Biden administration for the loss of the pipeline and revenues ? Not a race thing at all.

Jim

elkhunter11 07-23-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplefarmer (Post 4396932)
No different than anyone else really... Is TC Energy not suing the Biden administration for the loss of the pipeline and revenues ? Not a race thing at all.

Jim

As I posted, welcome to the 21st century society. Virtue signaling is the trend, for all races
except when it costs you money.

Vantage Point 07-23-2021 12:38 PM

Riversdale Resources - letters of support

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBintheNorth (Post 4396910)
Stoney to Piikani: "We'll just hide in the weeds here until this is over and then jump out and yell "What about ME?!" "No one asked ME!"
"They'll have no choice but to pay."

A look at Riversdale Resources website of Crowsnest Complex shows letters of support were received from all local first nations Chief and Councils. Few renegade nation members complaining they don't want this is the same issue Northern Gateway Pipeline run into issue with " traditional chiefs ". Who actually represents the people of these nations.

densa44 07-23-2021 04:12 PM

Its sad but I think that Elk is right

I'm afraid that the natives have picked up the worst traits of our society. It goes back farther than this century too.

270person 07-23-2021 04:35 PM

Is the mine on an IR? If not don't give them the time of day.

Hevishot 07-23-2021 07:09 PM

But I thought Shannon Phillips and Corb Lund spoke for all the first nation's people :thinking-006:

CNP 07-23-2021 11:16 PM

This mine has the support of the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass. I attended the meeting linked below. It is an old mine site that was not reclaimed. Mining was to be undertaken on already disturbed ground with the newest technology used to mitigate selenium release and the mine reclaimed to a state that does not exist today.

Opposition to the mine is largely from special interest groups who wouldn't support any mine, anywhere, at any time, spinning their agenda and influencing low info activists. I can see not supporting a mine for a particular issue that does not appear to have any resolution but to categorically deny a mine on the basis that it is a mine is contrary to reason.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8056002/s...-pass-alberta/

Vantage Point 07-24-2021 06:55 AM

local economy

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 4397100)
This mine has the support of the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass. I attended the meeting linked below. It is an old mine site that was not reclaimed. Mining was to be undertaken on already disturbed ground with the newest technology used to mitigate selenium release and the mine reclaimed to a state that does not exist today.

Opposition to the mine is largely from special interest groups who wouldn't support any mine, anywhere, at any time, spinning their agenda and influencing low info activists. I can see not supporting a mine for a particular issue that does not appear to have any resolution but to categorically deny a mine on the basis that it is a mine is contrary to reason.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8056002/s...-pass-alberta/

As CNP points out, this mine's footprint was to a large extent on previously worked land on a pre-existing coal lease from years ago. It's unfortunate but this mine application got all caught up in the uproar caused by the governments rescinding of the foothills exploration moratorium. It was perfect timing for special interest groups and sparkle socks climate agenda/build back better plan to use to whip up public opposition to this and all future mining period. As far as being a foreign company running mine, what's difference between this and BHP Bilitons proposed massive Jansen potash mine in Saskatchewan. Crowsnest Pass has been bleeding off good industry jobs for years and finally had the prospects of some meaningful employment for local young families to stay and earn good wages and some stable tax base for the municipality. I would like to think [maybe dreaming] first nations looked at this as hope for some employment of their youth also. Would be interesting to know how much money the NDP paid to buy out logging, mining and oil/gas leases in the Castle region to create their utopia that a large number of locals were blindsided by. Lots of empty storefronts now in the region as the Passes economy is turning into seasonal RV parking lots. The need for metallurgical coal continues to grow and as usual Canada will stand on the sidelines and watch other countries fill the need just as our oilsands/pipelines industry is running into. Nortern Gateway, Keystone, Enbridge Line 5, proposed liquified natural gas facility and pipeline recently turned down by Quebec government. As a once very proud resource exporting country that along with Australia was known for our world class mining resource companies that also did work in other foreign nations.

bessiedog 07-24-2021 07:46 AM

Yea….. that meeting…. The one where ‘if you don’t support.. don’t attend’ was pass around the towns. Real real democratic id say.

So….. Benga or ANY of the other mine companies have YET to produce a paper or technology that Proves effective in mitigating selenium problems in the water.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6022966

This paper discusses several issues.

This one explores the amount of selenium in downstream waterways. Fine wayyy back in ‘98.
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/6dd7...nload/5843.pdf

So… our government KNOWs this is a persistent problem…. And I’m assuming the industry does as well…. (Teck in the Elk Valley knew for 20+ years …. They STILL haven’t found a fix.. and have been slapped a 62million$ fine)

So I’m guessing…. The ‘latest technology’ ain’t gonna quite cut it. If anyone has good documentation to refute this…. I’m happy to read and accept it.

And ya… fire up that existing mine.

But… until then…. No thank you. Prove its safe… with stuff that’s got a track record… then have at er.

Accusing people who oppose these mines as ‘special interest groups’ is pretty dang false and is a nice dog whistle phrase to discredit what are actually ranchers, shop owners, other town councils and regular folks that have done a simple dive into the relevant resources and research (like I’ve done) and said “hey!!! Um.., waitaminute”

These people need to be heard. Not painted with a ‘whack job treehugger’ brush and duly dismissed.

The Alta govt has been SUPER underhanded in the handling of this issue until people held them accountable…, it’s VERY disappointing that several regular town hall meetings didn’t happen on this (the Pass is actually lil divided on this issue… and it tends to be demographically divided) where research and science could have been presented (not by a corporation)

There’s a citizen science group that’s formed around here to start collecting water samples from around the various watersheds…. I think they’re anticipating the mine’s go ahead and are acting to monitor their waterways on their own.

Interesting times here.

Again for me… I’m ‘hey if you can show me it’s safe… then sure have at er’… but my semi interested digging has provided me enough with…. Maybe no…. Cause no ones figured out how to not screw up our water….

Red Bullets 07-24-2021 08:56 AM

IMO, Not one of us has the right to pillage our lands and waters for the greed of a few of one generation. Coal mines are so last millennium thinking. If humans were so smart they would figure out another way to create steel products without destroying or altering our landscape. Amateurs caught up in their own minds and greed.

"The earth provides enough to supply everyone's needs but certainly not everyone's greed."

6.5 shooter 07-24-2021 10:01 AM

The Crowsnest pass was taken over by Cityiots when the housing prices were cheap and the miners were all broke due to the Chinese not buying our coal during the last great depression started by PE Turd'o back in the day. Now they have Hollywood talking heads to support their agenda. Having never grown up in the area they have no idea what hard times look like. Amazing how big money from the smog laden cities migrates to the country side, then tells the locals how they should follow their lead to keep the area pristine after they have stripped the country bare to create their own wealth. Now they come in and tell others how they should live, yet continue to maintain their own wealth and keep the locals in the poor house.

Colonization in the micro sense??

bessiedog 07-24-2021 10:11 AM

….. from the Medicine Hat perspective….. lol

Yup…. Sellin to the Chinese… do your research…

And ya… you got nuthin bout the selenium impact..?

Bet u still think smoking is still safe and that research is all fake news too.

Let’s try a measured approach here…. Show me how research on selenium mitigation measures will work and be successful and sustainable…. And I’m
In.

Or just whine about rich city folks and their ‘dang mannipulashins’ …..

WinefredCommander 07-24-2021 11:38 PM

The fact that SOME cnp pass residents want to RUIN watersheds forever to put 6 figures in their pockets is appalling. The FACT that Australia LOATHS Gina Rinehart and all her mining subsidiaries should be a HUGE red flag!! If it was TECK maybe! We don’t want these Aussies in Canada!!!! **** off!

As for the chiefs? What else is new? Bunch of Allan Adams.... Paid off cronies.. Call for an election FN.

270person 07-25-2021 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter (Post 4397183)
The Crowsnest pass was taken over by Cityiots when the housing prices were cheap and the miners were all broke due to the Chinese not buying our coal during the last great depression started by PE Turd'o back in the day. Now they have Hollywood talking heads to support their agenda. Having never grown up in the area they have no idea what hard times look like. Amazing how big money from the smog laden cities migrates to the country side, then tells the locals how they should follow their lead to keep the area pristine after they have stripped the country bare to create their own wealth. Now they come in and tell others how they should live, yet continue to maintain their own wealth and keep the locals in the poor house.

Colonization in the micro sense??

Isn't Medicine Hat a city?

59whiskers 07-25-2021 06:23 AM

As long as everyone on this site wants to drive new trucks, have big rv’s, big houses, shop at Costco, Walmart,,etc buying cheap stuff made in Asia on credit, have pavement and concrete to drive and walk on we need coal mines like it or not.

bessiedog 07-25-2021 08:11 AM

Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4397433)
Isn't Medicine Hat a city?

Ya know…. Your deliveries always seem to work so much better…..

:)

elkhunter11 07-25-2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 59whiskers (Post 4397440)
As long as everyone on this site wants to drive new trucks, have big rv’s, big houses, shop at Costco, Walmart,,etc buying cheap stuff made in Asia on credit, have pavement and concrete to drive and walk on we need coal mines like it or not.

I support industry, I just find it ironic that some of the same people that protest a pipeline, because of environment concerns, will openly support mining that will likely have a larger impact on the environment . It all seems to come down to whose pocket the money is going into.

Sporty 07-25-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4397476)
I support industry, I just find it ironic that some of the same people that protest a pipeline, because of environment concerns, will openly support mining that will likely have a larger impact on the environment . It all seems to come down to whose pocket the money is going into.

Where's the irony? There are many FN who support pipelines too. You know, just like how you support industry yet oppose this project, individualism also happens in the FN community.

elkhunter11 07-25-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporty (Post 4397497)
Where's the irony? There are many FN who support pipelines too. You know, just like how you support industry yet oppose this project, individualism also happens in the FN community.

Where did I say that I oppose this project?
But you made my point, race isn't what usually decides whether a person supports a project, but who stands to make money, is usually a huge factor. Money in a person's pocket, usually over rides any environmental concerns or virtue signaling, regardless of race.

tirebob 07-25-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporty (Post 4397497)

This is a very good point. If the same individual people sewered one industry under the guise of environmentalism while championing the other, then there could be reason to raise the proverbial eyebrow, but lumping all individuals together simply because they were all born FN is a stretch.

That said I do not know this particular band and their stances on how this all went, but even the more reason I don't want to call out any hypocrisy or lack there of.

bessiedog 07-25-2021 10:29 AM

Would the Benga mine directly lower my taxes and improve my community?

Yep.

Have they donated a craptonne of $$ to schools and charities around here over the past 6 years or so?

Yup yup

I just need a solid, research verified, sustainable solution to the ole selenium in the water an plants ( which affect our bighorns and prolly ungulates)….

Then I’ll say

Yup yup yup

Times change, it’s clear to ALL that

1. Some things we do as humans as industry are really really damaging g to stuff in the long run….. so now that we know better… we ought to stop.

2. Corporations in the resource industry RARELY act as responsible LONG TERM community citizens. They are in for the $ then they are out…. And they fight like hell to protect their profit.

3. Corporations are this way b/c we the people encourage it.

If WE want responsible corporations, we need to act to make them responsible.

There’s another mining co
Company here flinging out pamphlets showing a proposed mine on BOTH SIDES of the OMR headwaters…

Strip mining the headwaters…..

Ok…… I guess….. ya better have an iron clad system to prevent dangerous contamination.

Otherwise… no… I will not accept your tax decrease and free money/infrastructure

Not worth it.

lannie 07-25-2021 07:35 PM

There is a group called the "Crowsnest Network" on Facebook and it has a lot of information on the mine. There are many local people who are for the mine and some who are against it. One thing I like about this Facebook group is the majority of the people on it use their real name and are much more accountable because of that. You will also be able to get a better idea of the support for it or the push back by the locals.

Hevishot 07-25-2021 07:47 PM

I'm still trying to figure out which one of you CNP residents is Kevin Turner.

bessiedog 07-25-2021 07:58 PM

??

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannie (Post 4397692)
There is a group called the "Crowsnest Network" on Facebook and it has a lot of information on the mine. There are many local people who are for the mine and some who are against it. One thing I like about this Facebook group is the majority of the people on it use their real name and are much more accountable because of that. You will also be able to get a better idea of the support for it or the push back by the locals.

So… wat u trying to say Lannie? Accountable? In what way?

Also…. I really wonder if this issue is JUST limited to the Pass deciding.

Pretty sure it ain’t.

Also

Talk to me about your position on selenium contamination? You cool with the lack of any real way to mitigate the process?

3 wells for human consumption are apparently contaminated…. Thoughts on that?

Have you fished the Elk lately? Do you like them fish numbers now?

Itll prolly be Gold creek first, then the Crow….

Add the selenium to the Crow’s whirling disease troubles….. that should really do a number on the trout.

Show me proof of a provable mitigation system for the contamination…. And I’ll support the mine just fine.