Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hunter Sues Local Taxidermist (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=132919)

sheephunter 05-10-2012 11:22 AM

Hunter Sues Local Taxidermist

Yikes, some serious money involved in this one
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/05/0...100000-lawsuit

Quote:

It’s never a good idea to upset a person who travels around the world killing animals for sport.

Edmonton businessman Raymond Moher has launched a $100,000 lawsuit against local taxidermist Clarence Kriaski after alleging he carelessly destroyed the hides of 18 animals he had hired him to preserve.

According to a statement of claim filed in Court of Queen’s Bench on April 18, Moher is an experienced trophy game hunter who travels the world to participate in safaris and hunt remote trophy animals for sport.

Moher alleges he hired Wildlife Originals by Clarence Kriaski to mount 18 animals he had hunted, including a buffalo, a feral sheep, a feral goat and several deer from Australia; a Marco Polo sheep and a Himalayan Ibex from Tajikastan; a Desert bighorn from Mexico; a wart hog, an impala and a kudu from Africa and an Alberta porcupine.

Moher claims he made numerous requests to pick up the trophy mounted animals, but Kriaski kept putting him off and saying the job was not yet finished.

On Feb. 10, Moher says he had the unfinished hides picked up at Wildlife Originals and taken right away to Artistic Taxidermy to have the work completed.

He alleges he was then called by Artistic Taxidermy owner Brian Dobson immediately after the hides had been dropped off and told they were contaminated with silver fish bugs, full of eggs and the hair was falling out.

Moher alleges Kriaski caused “irreparable damage” to the hides as a result of not taking reasonable care in his work and negligently storing them.

He claims the damage stems from the incorrect application of the appropriate preserving chemicals, incorrect tanning technique, incorrect mounting technique and a failure to freeze or freeze dry the hides.

Moher says he is out the money he paid for trophy fees and shipping and will have to pay more fix the damage.

A statement of defence has not yet been filed.

Statements of claim and statements of defence contain allegations which have not been proven in court.

DAVE 05-10-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheephunter (Post 1432940)
Yikes, some serious money involved in this one
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/05/0...100000-lawsuit

X2

buckbrushoutdoors 05-10-2012 11:32 AM

good ol Clarence lol

drake 05-10-2012 11:37 AM

anyone have any pics of his work?

darius 05-10-2012 11:40 AM

what could you buy these hides for on the open market ?

that is all the hunter is legally entitled too . .

DAVE 05-10-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors (Post 1432953)
good ol Clarence lol

Yup. lol

avb3 05-10-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors (Post 1432953)
good ol Clarence lol

Wasn't he known for his fish work?

bonedogg 05-10-2012 11:44 AM

any chance the eggs and larvae were there prior to the first taxi touching them?

gopher 05-10-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drake (Post 1432958)
anyone have any pics of his work?

Ya it's on his web site.

huntinstuff 05-10-2012 11:54 AM

Finally someone got mad enough

Not surprised in the least

Ive paid him a few personal visits in regards to work taking 3 or 4 years.

I hope the hunter gets every cent

CaberTosser 05-10-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darius (Post 1432961)
what could you buy these hides for on the open market ?

that is all the hunter is legally entitled too . .

Nope.

What did his numerous safari's cost him? Damages aren't always limited to an items market value. If your child is killed in a car accident can the insurance co send you an orphan from Somalia and call it even?

If you were a lawyer, you wouldn't be eating very well.

ShawnM 05-10-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 1432988)
Nope.

What did his numerous safari's cost him? Damages aren't always limited to an items market value. If your child is killed in a car accident can the insurance co send you an orphan from Somalia and call it even?

You're partly right, in Canada all a person is entitled to in a civil lawsuit is ACTUAL damages. In this case he may be entitled to some of the money he spent on hunting the hides, transporting them, etc. Having said that your example refers to PUNATIVE damages, which in Canada is FAR below the numbers you hear from the states. He won't get $100k, even if he deserves it.

darius 05-10-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Nope.

sorry . . .

you can 't compare a lost kid to monetary value , since it is not legal to buy or sell children ., no open market per se

if your pet dies and its the vets fault all you are entitled to is the value of the pet . ie- what you paid would probably be the replacement value . if it is a bitch that you sell her litter then you have a case to get more ., a proven loss of income in this case .

if you pay $50k for a hunt and you can buy said hide for $5k, shipped to you and all fees , etc . . that is what you are legally entitled to in this case as this is all the taxidermist damaged . you still recieved the hunt so why should the taxi be liable for that ?

good thing you are not a lawyer .. .:lol:

CaberTosser 05-10-2012 12:28 PM

It's funny when people read intentional hyperbole and interpret it as literal.

darius 05-10-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 1433023)
It's funny when people read intentional hyperbole and interpret it as literal.

Quote:

Nope.

you said it , not me . . . .

depopulator 05-10-2012 12:34 PM

Curious what a Marco Polo and Desert bighorn cape [lifesize I'll bet] go for these days...

wwbirds 05-10-2012 12:50 PM

I don't think the claim is nearly high enough. Anyone with an Ibex, marco polo or Desert Bighorn cape could ask $100,000. just for those capes. Where else would you get one. Not like there are any floating around on Kijiji.

Had a similar experience where a local taxi over bleached my cape on a Dall and promised to replace it. Found a replacement cape for him a couple years later which I know he purchased from a friend of mine in Yukon but never replaced the frizzy cape he ruined. In hind sight instead of trusting him to do the right thing I should have sued to warn off others that sometimes his work was sub standard.
You hate to do that to a guy when this is one problem mount of many he did that turned out well.

Sounds like this fellow had more than an isolated incident of bad work. Hope the hunter gets judgement but then again he stil has to be able to find income or assets to enforce it.

Rob

depopulator 05-10-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonedogg (Post 1432966)
any chance the eggs and larvae were there prior to the first taxi touching them?

Messy! Whats the potential of a countersuit for having the taxi shop contaminated by "dirty" capes ? :fighting0074::argue2:

colour86 05-10-2012 01:17 PM

Clarence's shop is a mess. This was probably a long time coming. I have no idea how he got anything out. Walking in and tripping over a rotting deer skull thats been there for a week isnt how a business should operate. Fiance used to do rugs for him and the stories I would hear. This was just a matter of time. He started taking in too much and got over his head.

DNORTHERNSNIPER 05-10-2012 01:19 PM

Not suprised....

He does great work, I have 9 mounts from him.
Most were done in timely fashion but then it all changed.....

He has had my last White tail deer and a bear for 5 years and gives me a runnaround everytime I go see what the status of them are.

Now Im really going for a visit.....before he closes.

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

ShawnM 05-10-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwbirds (Post 1433043)
I don't think the claim is nearly high enough. Anyone with an Ibex, marco polo or Desert Bighorn cape could ask $100,000. just for those capes. Where else would you get one. Not like there are any floating around on Kijiji.
Rob

The Marco Polo sheep is nearly irreplacable as far as I'm concerned. Extremely rare animal to hunt and the dedication it can take is very high.

I'm getting the run-around from my taxidermist too. Jesus I hope it doesn't end up like this...

Big Daddy Badger 05-10-2012 01:32 PM

5 plus years?

Good Lord... how many guys are waiting in line?

Some guys must have the patience of Jobe.

I'd have flipped my toque a long time ago.

colour86 05-10-2012 01:33 PM

he had 5 or so big deep freezes full to the brim, and hides/ horns all over the place. Im guessing hundreds of people in line at Clarence's shop.

Big Daddy Badger 05-10-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colour86 (Post 1433106)
he had 5 or so big deep freezes full to the brim, and hides/ horns all over the place. Im guessing hundreds of people in line at Clarence's shop.

Wow...and every one with a deposit down I'd imagine.
Long ago spent and many will probably never have a thing to show for it in the end.

Jamie Black R/T 05-10-2012 01:41 PM

not very surprising from his reputation....hope the hunter gets his compensation.

leo 05-10-2012 01:46 PM

Clarence has gotten a fair bit of business from me in the past(deer and birds). Never had an issue and workmanship was outstanding. That changed with the last mount I took there around 6 years ago. I hounded him weekly for 18 months, this after he had it in his possesion for over a year. He didn't even brush out the pelt before giving it to me. Hair was full of salts. I haven't been back since, it's a shame, he is very talented.

WTHunter 05-10-2012 01:56 PM

I have used him for a couple of bear rugs, a moose rack plaque and numerous euro mounts. He has always done a quality job for me.

His shop is a mess....the place stinks....and he takes a very long time.

I know that one fourm member waited over three years for a bear rug from Clarance.....and another one got a big pike done and was unhappy with the job.

Too bad....seems like a nice guy, and he is capable of good work.

scrapper 05-10-2012 02:10 PM

If it really takes this guy 5 years or even one year to do work clearly he is in the wrong business, any business requires quick turn around to make a profit, maybe time for this guy to just call it a career, if he loses this lawsuit I would not want to have anything at his store when the door swings shut. Even if he has Liability Insurance I am not sure they will cover this type of screw up.

209x50 05-10-2012 03:09 PM

I've been through a long line of deadbeat taxidermists as much as the next guy. When you find someone who does great work in a timel fashion you really appreciate them!

Sooner 05-10-2012 03:28 PM

I know of 3 people who have taken nice quality size fish to him, 3 plus yrs later what they got back was a far cry from what they took in. This guy is the master of delays from what I see and hear.