Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rattlesnake (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339863)

cdkeim 02-22-2018 06:31 PM

Rattlesnake

Hoing to get out onto Rattlesnake on the weekend and just wondering about how the access is onto the lake and how difficult it is to drive around on the lake with the current snow levels. Any info is appreciated.:)

Hunter4ever12 02-22-2018 06:52 PM

I tried last Friday and every access was blown in,had my trailer on so couldn’t get to crazy. Went home after driving a few hours looking. I’m sure it’s all plowed now,from what I could tell by looking from the road the lake had scattered spots of snow. I’m sure the drifts will be hard but not to deep. Hoping for one more trip beginning of March.

cdkeim 02-23-2018 07:42 AM

Thank you for the info. Suppose to be pretty windy Sunday so a little concerned about things blowing in, but the warm temps might help prevent that. Maybe I will do a drive by on Saturday. Thanks again.

Stubb 02-23-2018 08:15 AM

was out sunday, I got on and off with a half ton 4x4 but wouldn't want anything smaller. Fishing was slow and you have to pick your path on the ice as there's some large drifts. And bring an extension for your auger.

cdkeim 02-23-2018 10:17 AM

Thanks Stubb, my 4X4 is so so, just an suv. Kinda takes the fun out of the day if you wind up getting stuck out there.

dutchpirate 02-23-2018 12:58 PM

We tried 40 Mile last Friday and the Murano couldn't take the drifts, buddy's lifted Tacoma (compact one) punched through most of it, but even it got bogged in some of the bigger drifts, I suspect Rattlesnake will be the same. Might try Ressor tomorrow morning, at least it's not a long walk on.

cdkeim 02-23-2018 01:19 PM

I drove a Murano a few years back and yup, got her stuck pretty good trying to get onto Newell one year, right at kinbrook boat launch. Might try out reesor or spruce on sunday with my son who is in town for the day. Smaller lake equals not as far...for my son... to have to pull our sled!:)

dutchpirate 02-23-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdkeim (Post 3738005)
I drove a Murano a few years back and yup, got her stuck pretty good trying to get onto Newell one year, right at kinbrook boat launch. Might try out reesor or spruce on sunday with my son who is in town for the day. Smaller lake equals not as far...for my son... to have to pull our sled!:)

I'll try to remember to give you a road/ice report when I head out tomorrow!

cdkeim 02-23-2018 03:01 PM

Thanks Dutch, much appreciated!

dutchpirate 02-25-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdkeim (Post 3738056)
Thanks Dutch, much appreciated!

Roads were a little drifted, but not too bad, watch out of ice under snow especially on corners.

No one was driving on the lake, some really deep drifts.

Fishing was slower than usual, but still landed 3 fair sized 'bows.

sportster 02-27-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchpirate (Post 3739039)
Roads were a little drifted, but not too bad, watch out of ice under snow especially on corners.

No one was driving on the lake, some really deep drifts.

Fishing was slower than usual, but still landed 3 fair sized 'bows.

"Bow's in rattlesake

dutchpirate 02-27-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportster (Post 3740652)
"Bow's in rattlesake

Sorry, switched to talking about Ressor :sEm_oops2:

davebuck 03-07-2018 10:28 AM

Rattlesnake

Going out to rattlesnake today has anyone been out ther recently how's the sow drifts should bring auger extension

cdkeim 03-07-2018 11:02 AM

X2

Stubb 03-07-2018 11:07 AM

Went on the weekend. Couldn't get on the lake with a truck, had to use side by side and was still sketchy in places. Even if you got on the lake somehow with a vehicle you'd need chains i'd think to get around. I'd recommend an extension, ice was 32". Oh, and the fishing sucked haha

cdkeim 03-07-2018 11:30 AM

lol, that sounds awesome all round. Thank you for the update!

Hunter4ever12 03-07-2018 11:58 AM

I was out there Friday when the snow hit. Used my side by side as well,didn’t have any issues getting around but ya I wouldn’t recommend a truck ad well. Some pretty good drifts in there now. And my fishing experience was the same as Stubb...caught 3 perch and that’s all I saw.

davebuck 03-08-2018 10:21 AM

Out there yesterday got two pike just legal put them back to grow a little more as everyone says to much snow on the lake if you get on tough to get off one truck on he had to shovel out twice still had a nice day out

owlhoot 03-08-2018 01:53 PM

I just got off the lake, Caught 3 dinky perch, I walked on off the Sauder dam.
There was someone out by the Islands in the NW. They must have a trail packed down to that spot.