Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alberta's brood trout station (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=388582)

lakerman 10-06-2020 05:56 PM

Alberta's brood trout station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8o-M9ht8S4

SNAPFisher 10-06-2020 08:21 PM

Thanks for the link! That was interesting.

Fishwhere 10-07-2020 02:14 PM

Very cool link. Thanks!

Athabasca1 10-07-2020 05:05 PM

Very informative. Thanks for posting the link.

Red Bullets 10-08-2020 01:53 AM

Thanks for sharing. Interesting.

Smoky buck 10-08-2020 05:35 AM

Way nicer equipment and more technical then I used for this process in the private sector in the past. Very informative video on how they go about creating tripliods.

Personally not a fan of stocking sterile fish. I would prefer to see fertile fish of species that are capable of spawning in the waters they are stocked in. Just feel stocking sterile fish is basically creating an on going money pit that completely relies on on going maintenance. I would rather put money into supplementing a fishery that at least has some % of natural reproduction. But not everything needs to be managed around what I like because I am just one fishermen and we all have different things we enjoy lol

Still a cool video and understand many enjoy the fisheries created with tripliod trout

fishinisgood 10-08-2020 09:07 AM

Makes more sense

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4244496)
Way nicer equipment and more technical then I used for this process in the private sector in the past. Very informative video on how they go about creating tripliods.

Personally not a fan of stocking sterile fish. I would prefer to see fertile fish of species that are capable of spawning in the waters they are stocked in. Just feel stocking sterile fish is basically creating an on going money pit that completely relies on on going maintenance. I would rather put money into supplementing a fishery that at least has some % of natural reproduction. But not everything needs to be managed around what I like because I am just one fishermen and we all have different things we enjoy lol

Still a cool video and understand many enjoy the fisheries created with tripliod trout

👍👍, maybe it’s a make work project?

Sundancefisher 10-20-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4244496)

Problem is most put and take fisheries have no spawning habitat. Plus the rules would need to change significantly to allow fish to get big enough and old enough to spawn if they had suitable spawning habitat.

CardiacCowboy 10-20-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4251583)
Problem is most put and take fisheries have no spawning habitat. Plus the rules would need to change significantly to allow fish to get big enough and old enough to spawn if they had suitable spawning habitat.

I would like to see a rotating one year closure on some stocked bodies. To see fish get big enough and smart enough to allow some to survive year to year.

Smoky buck 10-20-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4251583)

Spawning habitat is an issue if you stick to trout for sure. Regs would need to change if you were trying to make it self sustainable

CardiacCowboy 10-20-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4251828)
Spawning habitat is an issue if you stick to trout for sure. Regs would need to change if you were trying to make it self sustainable

I know trout are a tried and true product but would like to see white fish be looked at. They are hardy and thrive in local environment

wwbirds 10-20-2020 08:00 PM

I recognize that bearded cnp guy

One of AO own members clipping adipose fins. Hint hint no nova scotia toller in the video!!