Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computer problems....?? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=86230)

Bushmaster 03-19-2011 03:59 PM

Computer problems....??

Took my computer into the Dr.s last week as it was a little bunged up. Well, he got it running but when I brought it home and plugged it in, it won't connect to the internet. It just keeps saying it can't find the internet connection, doesn't recognise the IP.

I'm running on Xplornet, so its just a matter of plugging in the ethernet cable and it should work . I have no clue where to go from here. I have my work computer at home right now and it works fine on the same cable....

Any ideas from the gurus..

Thanks for any helpful hints !

deerhunter 03-19-2011 04:03 PM

Call your provider they can help you

lone wolf 03-19-2011 04:18 PM

call

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerhunter (Post 873956)

x2 Any ISP (internet service provider) worth their salt will provide (over the) phone support to get you up and running.

BallCoeff.435 03-19-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerhunter (Post 873956)

Or not. Most of them are just Microsnot flunkies who don't have a clue when confronted with a real operating system, like Solaris or SuSE or OpenVMS or CICS.

In this particular case, it looks like either the I.S.P. is not servicing DHCP requests, or the OP's machine is not issuing them, or is not using the response correctly. First step would be to cycle the xDSL/IP gateway (ie. reboot it). Then check the configuration of the operating system to make sure it can send out requests for a new ip address. Some work on it was apparently done, maybe the repair tech set it up to use a static address or adjusted the mask a bit so routing packets can't get through, at this home connection. Release the ip address and restart it, similar to:
# ifconfig <interface_name> dhcp release
# ifconfig <interface_name> dhcp start
# ifconfig < " > dhcp status

A list of available interfaces would be shown with his equivalent to:
# ifconfig -a

In addition to calling the ISP's help number, a call to the repair place where he got the work done might be appropriate.

grind stone 03-19-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushmaster (Post 873951)
Took my computer into the Dr.s last week as it was a little bunged up. Well, he got it running but when I brought it home and plugged it in, it won't connect to the internet. It just keeps saying it can't find the internet connection, doesn't recognise the IP.

I'm running on Xplornet, so its just a matter of plugging in the ethernet cable and it should work . I have no clue where to go from here. I have my work computer at home right now and it works fine on the same cable....

Any ideas from the gurus..

Thanks for any helpful hints !

you could check your control panel then find network connections click on it and see if its connected or not some times its just a click away.

Photoplex 03-19-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 (Post 873993)
Release the ip address and restart it, similar to:
# ifconfig <interface_name> dhcp release
# ifconfig <interface_name> dhcp start
# ifconfig < " > dhcp status

A list of available interfaces would be shown with his equivalent to:
# ifconfig -a

It is extremely unlikely that the OP is using a *nix based OS.

doetracks 03-19-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grind stone (Post 874004)
you could check your control panel then find network connections click on it and see if its connected or not some times its just a click away.

x2

BallCoeff.435 03-19-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photoplex (Post 874007)
It is extremely unlikely that the OP is using a *nix based OS.

Pity.

Photoplex 03-19-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 (Post 874043)
Pity.

For who? Him? Hardly. I'm certain his OS is doing everything he needs of it.

You know a handful of CLI commands. All of which can be done through a GUI.

hassihand 03-20-2011 02:16 AM

You could also try cycling your modem...unplug and power down for a full minute then fire it up again. I've had the same problem after connecting mine at a buddy's place....worth a shot!

clarki 03-20-2011 08:11 AM

I just went through this issue in the last 2 days. Picked up a laptop from a co-worker, was at his place saw it working just fine. got home plugged it in and i got the same issues as the OP. after trying all the diagnostic stuff as directed, I gave up and went to bed. I get home from work yesterday and decide to try again before calling Shaw, Lo and behold it was working. WTF?? anyway, I know this is not much help but sometimes weird things happen with computers.

M

Bushmaster 03-20-2011 08:32 AM

Thanks for the ideas....I have already tried thecycling the modem, etc...but that's about as far as I go ! :D

And clarki....I thought the weird thing was that it QUIT !!! LOL

The gal in town says the boss will call me Mon. and walk me thru it....not a totally uncommon problem.