Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Spring Lake sucks (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=369502)

Mr Flyguy 09-15-2019 08:55 PM

Spring Lake sucks

I heard that the latest still water fly fishing competition was a bust at Spring Lake today...4 fish from 12 "experts" :sign0176:

Glad I went elsewhere today.

pipco 09-16-2019 08:32 AM

Spring was certainly slow the last couple days for me.

I managed two little guys to the net yesterday in four hours of fishing from 10-2. One on a boatman and one on a black and green sparkle leech.

Missed the boatman activity in afternoon.

Wasn't part of the AFFLT group but know a few of them and they are pretty good fisher people.

I think they probably did much better than you may have heard.

Saturday afternoon. Boatman and backswimmers were there. A few fish rising. One damn fish to the net. Missed a few followers casting to rises.

Tried almost every boatman and backswimmer pattern I had. Floating, sinking, beadhead , chenille, peacock herl, brown tan , black tan, floating line, sink tip line, etc, etc.

Mildly frustrating.

Spring Lake has humbled but not broken me.

ecsuplander 09-16-2019 07:41 PM

Wow sounds alot like my trips to Muir lake. Fish rising all around but could only manage 2 fish. Tried various backswimmer/boatman patterns on intermediate and floating lines. As well very humbling.

Mr Flyguy 09-17-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecsuplander (Post 4027748)
Wow sounds alot like my trips to Muir lake. Fish rising all around but could only manage 2 fish. Tried various backswimmer/boatman patterns on intermediate and floating lines. As well very humbling.

Maybe that explains something very strange last Sunday morning. I pulled into the parking lot at 10 am, expecting to see trucks/cars all over...nobody there, nobody unloading, nobody on the dock. :confused0068: I thought this was weird for the middle of September, either everybody is in church or fishing has been SLOW, so went elsewhere for a good afternoon (but no backswimmer/boatman action).

Mr Flyguy 09-17-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipco (Post 4027506)
Spring was certainly slow the last couple days for me.

I managed two little guys to the net yesterday in four hours of fishing from 10-2. One on a boatman and one on a black and green sparkle leech.

Missed the boatman activity in afternoon.

Wasn't part of the AFFLT group but know a few of them and they are pretty good fisher people.

I think they probably did much better than you may have heard.

Saturday afternoon. Boatman and backswimmers were there. A few fish rising. One damn fish to the net. Missed a few followers casting to rises.

Tried almost every boatman and backswimmer pattern I had. Floating, sinking, beadhead , chenille, peacock herl, brown tan , black tan, floating line, sink tip line, etc, etc.

Mildly frustrating.

Spring Lake has humbled but not broken me.

Have to admit I was misinformed: although some of the participants indeed had no luck, at least one had 4 fish and another had an even better count. Never the less, since all the rain it has been a less than stellar year on Spring.