Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Browning X-bolt 30-06 (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=43348)

Springer 10-14-2009 02:43 AM

Browning X-bolt 30-06

Ok I need some of you gun Nutz to give me your Honest opinion on the Browning x-Bolt in 30-06 with composite stock and rotary magazine.

I want to buy a Rifle for my sons 27th Birthday coming up at the end of the Month and he is also going on his first deer hunt with me this year.
I was trying to decide on the 270WSM,280,308 ,30-06 and 300 WSM in a Tikka t3.
So with advice from most people i asked ,the 30-06 kept coming up with the range of loads it will take.

Any advice on an all round starter rifle would sure help. I will buy something by next weekend just have to decide which one.

I found this 30-06 new in the box for $ 905. For the scope we were looking at the Bushnell elite 3200 in 3x9x40.

209x50 10-14-2009 07:13 AM

I have an X-Bolt in 270 short mag and the cartridge has become my favorite. 150 grain bullets at 3150fps and 110 Barnes TTSX at 3650 fps. I also have it in an A-7 and both rifles shoot the lights out. Me, I'd recommend the X-Bolt in 270 short mag as a great first gun

ACKLEY ABE 10-14-2009 07:52 AM

Well..you asked for oppinions so ...... One rifle ....new shooter....280 rem. Versatile all rd. Not serious recoil..... It's basically a 7 rem mag with a 15 yard point blank disadvantage on a 10" target.....on a whole bunch less recoil than the mag. Great cartridge and becoming more and more popular every year..... and out of all of my rifles........none is a Browning. So I guess you know where I stand there..... I havn't used an X-bolt but......

Scope: OK...for the money they are hard to beat...in fact they are probably better than a lot of higher priced scopes. Warrenty is done in Canada and done "Quickly" and without fuss. Thats if you ever need it fixed....I have had a cpl done, but one was abuse...can't blame that on Bushnell (by the way they fixed it anyway).

Whatever you get him, it will be great. Good for you and congratulations to him...he's got a pretty good dad.

Whiskey Wish 10-14-2009 08:40 AM

I am in agreement with A-Abe here. You could chose a lot of different calibers but a 280 or 270 would excellent places to start. Not knowing the age, ability and size of your son..... a 30-06 could be too much recoil for him although it could be tamed with a brake and a high quality recoil pad. I agree that the 30-06 is arguably the best caliber choice around but I have also seen grown men put their rifles down after one box of shells and chose to be spectators.
Abe and I go seperate directions on Browning weapons....I like them.
My two cents worth.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.

dsp 10-14-2009 09:11 AM

X-bolt

I just picked up a X-bolt in 25-06. I have shot it abit and am very happy with it. I have always enjoyed this calibre because it is fairly flat shooting and a good deer gun. The 30-06 is also a good choice as ammo is pretty much everywhere you go and has been around for along time. The range of bullet weights is also good for various hunts one can get into. But it still comes down to shot placement.

As for a scope I have always been fond of Leupold and if something goes wrong send it in as the repair is located in Okotoks, and the turn around time is fairly fast. However it is one's personal choice. Bushnell puts a good line, however I had a couple of issues with them but then again not alot. Another descent scope is Vortex and should be looked at as they offer a very good warranty and price as well.

As for price, well you have to shop around and if you find someone that has it well there you go. Buy it and enjoy. I had looked around at a few stores WSS $819.00, ( I had ordered it this past March and still haven't heard from them, Also about 2 months ago while in WSS, I had staff member check for me and located a 25-06 in Saskatoon, well they were having it shipped to Edmonton and yup I still haven't heard from them ), Bass Pro can not remember how much there but had a 30-06 in stock. I ended up buying from a small dealer as he had it in stock and the price was only a few dollars more like 10-20 bucks than WSS, but like with anything the service is what means alot.

Also a nice feature on this rifle as you stated your son is going on his first deer hunt, is the fact that while the bolt is closed and the safety on, it can be unloaded by pushing the button on top of the bolt. This is a good safety feature no matter how much experience one has with firearms.

Good Luck and Enjoy

Jeromeo 10-14-2009 10:10 AM

X-bolt has eight mounting lugs in comparison to regular rifles with 4 in total. So in essence you have more screws holding down you mounts or rings. You have the option of going with the browning rings that mount directly onto the rifle or the weaver or leupold bases. The x-bolt from what I've read seems to be a great shooter. The detachable clip is a plus. I also really like the duratouch stock. Not only does it look nice, it feels amazing and provides that extra bit of grip. As previously mentioned before you can unload and remove the bolt with the safety on. The action is also really nice. Although it is not quite as smooth as the tikkas and Sakos it is definitely respectable. I am going to be ordering this rifle in late November and can't wait to shoot it. I say go ahead and buy it for your son. The x-bolt in 30-06 is going to be quite easy to find. WSS has them for about 820 bucks for the black synthetic stock with blued barrel.

tbosch 10-14-2009 10:34 AM

A buddy of mine shoots the x in 30-06 and loves it. Says he'll never buy another hunting rifle.

Springer 10-14-2009 03:06 PM

Great info guy's ,Thanks. Its just to bad we cant shoot each caliber,like taking it for a test drive before deciding. Aaron is not a big guy,probably 170 or so so the recoil is a factor for sure. I like the 30-06 all round gun thing but i keep thinking 270 & 280 as well. I own a Tikka t3 lite in 300WSM and i figure if he goes after bigger game he can use mine for that..

Rich I read your articles and i know your very knowledgeable in calibers & firearms so your opinion holds a lot of weight for me.
The x-bolt is very comfortable for sure & lightweight. I like the factory recoil pad. I had to change the one on my Tikka,sitting at the range i could not go through half a box of shells.

tbosch that is good feedback you know someone who is very satisfied with their 30-06.

I dont do any reloading and the WSM cartridges seem to be a lot more $$ .That is a factor as well when doing lots of shooting.

Thanks to the rest of you on your info,this all sure helps out. I will have to include photos of the New rifle whichever it might be with the Buck he gets come mid November.

Phil.

browning.300mag 10-14-2009 03:39 PM

calibre of choice

I beleive the calibre depends on what and where you will hunt. If you hunt alot of bush I believe you should stick to a 30 cal. but if you are shooting more open area pick something flatter, faster shooting.My 13 year old son 115lb son shoots my parker-hale 30/06 and doesn't even flinch.He will shoot 10 rounds in one hour without a jacket on and shot 2 mule does in 3 standing shots with no complaint. I personally shoot a Browning x bolt with 150 grain shells and believe that the 300 will do it all with very little difference in recall from my parker hale 30/06.I have shot elk,moose and deer and nothing has ever walked away. I am only telling you my opinion.

Alta_Redneck 10-14-2009 04:03 PM

My friend has a xbolt in 30 06 he has the wood stock. He loves the rifle it shoots great and that factory recoil pad is decent. He has his topped off with a leupold VX-2 3-9x40. its a great little package. I tend to shy away from bushnells myself but thats just me, Lots of people love them.

wildroseSS 10-16-2009 08:09 AM

Personally I'd buy an a-bolt, 30-06 is an exellent 1st choice for a 27 yr old male. minimal recoil and very versitile. As per Browning, after you've shot your 1st 1/4 inch group you'll know . BROWNING THE BEST THERE IS.

redranger15 10-16-2009 08:45 AM

I just bought a new rifle , it was between the X bolt ss. or the vangaurd sub moa. I ended up with the vangaurd it just felt better for me.Your best bet would be to let him hold a few and see what feels good to him.There is a lot of nice rifles out there.As for calibre if it's only deer I'd go .243,257wby,25-06.If you might go after something bigger then I'd say .270.I was never a big fan of the 30-06, don't really know why.

catnthehat 10-16-2009 08:58 AM

Every person I ever met that I either loaded ammo for or mounted a scope for, that owned a browning , simply LOVED them!
I have accurized about 4 of them over the years, the culprit always being the recoil lug/ recess was not proper, but after an easy bedding job they were very accurate.
the 7MM and the '06 seem to be the most popular I have come across.
They are very easy to get the OAL for as well, - just go with what will fit in the mag - yup, it's shorter than what will hit the lands when reloading, but the accuracy is great anyway.
Myself, I don't own one , have never owned one, and probably never wil, for several reasons, the main one being I like single shots!:lol:
However, with no do in this hunt, as I said, every person i run into that has owned a browning bolt action loved them.

That's saying something right there, because I have talked to many shooters who have owned the other rifles out there, and not all were happy with them!:cool:

FWIW, the brownings I shot were very easy on the shoulder , for ths most part.

Cat

Springer 10-17-2009 07:27 PM

What we decided on.

Well we went back to the Sportsmens Den in Red Deer and Aaron tried lots of Rifles and decided on the Tikka T3 300 WSM,Composite Realtree Camo & Stainless Barrel.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/DSC01753.jpg

So we headed out to the Hills and set up for dead on at 100 yds and utilize the other 100 yd markers on the Burris 3x9x40 and try some at 200,300 etc.. It started ****'n rain so we just went through half a deck. All his first shots taken at 100yds. Not Bad i say.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/DSC01755.jpg

Thanks for all your advice. The Browning was hard to pass up but we got the stainless barrel on this one and the Brownings left in stock did not have any stainless barrels. Also put on a better recoil pad, a sling,flip up scope covers, trigger lock and a case for it to travel in ,, oh yeah 2 boxes of 150's.

Whiskey Wish 10-18-2009 08:47 AM

Sounds like a Success story to me. Should be featured in AO magazine IMHO.
Props to you Dad!

"Make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult"

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.

6.5 shooter 10-18-2009 10:57 PM

glad to hear you got a rifle you liked and felt good ...to many times we get swayed by the glitts and the glitter.