Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Should we get this guy scored? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=354812)

Swolf 11-19-2018 03:04 PM

Should we get this guy scored?

4 Attachment(s)
My brother shot this WT 2 weeks ago, and a few people have commented that it’s a "Trophy" buck and that we have to get it scored. I have 3 questions,

1 - What is a "Trophy" buck? I can’t find a definition anywhere.

2 - If we were going to get it scored where would we take it and how much does it cost?

3 - Do you think its worth getting scored?

Cheers,

JDK71 11-19-2018 03:07 PM

very nice buck good job

astepanuk 11-19-2018 03:09 PM

Cabelas does Horn scoring every year you can either do it your self or take it to get it officially scored. Check out the Boone&Crocket Scoring sheet and give it a try yourself for now.

Jamie 11-19-2018 03:10 PM

Do it yourself.. It's very easy and actually kinda fun. (Go to the B/C site, they will walk you through it)
Get the boys around here to guess the score.
Nice Buck.

SageValleyOutdoors 11-19-2018 03:29 PM

Whereabouts are you located?
If you’re in the Airdrie/Calgary area, I’ll score it for you. Looks like a great buck! I would think that mass would help put it in the 160’s.
Don’t get too concerned about what the score is though. There are many other ways to consider it a “trophy” than just some numbers on a paper.
I’m not an official scorer, but as an outfitter, have scored dozens of mule and whitetail deer. As a typical whitetail, it needs to net score 170” or better to make the book.
To get it officially done costs $35US and you’ve gotta have an official guy do it. The nearest official scorer should be on the Boone and Crockett website, or alternatively, you can go to the AHEIA website and they should be able to hook you up.

KyleSS 11-19-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors (Post 3875118)
Whereabouts are you located?
If you’re in the Airdrie/Calgary area, I’ll score it for you. Looks like a great buck! I would think that mass would help put it in the 160’s.
Don’t get too concerned about what the score is though. There are many other ways to consider it a “trophy” than just some numbers on a paper.
I’m not an official scorer, but as an outfitter, have scored dozens of mule and whitetail deer. As a typical whitetail, it needs to net score 170” or better to make the book.
To get it officially done costs $35US and you’ve gotta have an official guy do it. The nearest official scorer should be on the Boone and Crockett website, or alternatively, you can go to the AHEIA website and they should be able to hook you up.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't cost anything to get it scored, only cost the $35USD if you want it entered and it is called a recording fee. That's how P&Y is any ways

Twisted Canuck 11-19-2018 03:51 PM

Those are very thick beams....:scared0015: Amazing mass.

Very nice buck for sure. I'd be grinning too. Good job! Where are you located, that would help give you direction on where to get it scored if you want to have it done....?

saskbooknut 11-19-2018 03:56 PM

Nice buck, and a trophy - memory of a hunt.
You will always have questions about score, so do it yourself, following Boone and Crockett instructions found on their website.
I also think the mass of the main beams will help the score.
Certainly beats my best WT.
Official scoring is only worth it if you care about such things. I never cared to enter a deer in big buck competitions. The memories are what matter.

SageValleyOutdoors 11-19-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSS (Post 3875133)
Correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't cost anything to get it scored, only cost the $35USD if you want it entered and it is called a recording fee. That's how P&Y is any ways

Yeah, thats right. Doesn’t cost anything to score it, unless you’re entering it in the books.
I had my elk officially scored, and keep procrastinating about sending off the form and a check to P&Y.

Swolf 11-19-2018 04:20 PM

Thanks for the great info guys. I am going over to my bros (In Calgary) tomorrow so maybe we will try and score him. I will check out the B/C web page.I will let you know how it scores.

BTW how long would it take to get a professional to score it?

blgoodbrand1 11-19-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swolf (Post 3875154)
Thanks for the great info guys. I am going over to my bros (In Calgary) tomorrow so maybe we will try and score him. I will check out the B/C web page.I will let you know how it scores.

BTW how long would it take to get a professional to score it?

10-20 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooner 11-19-2018 04:35 PM

Try the online guide or find a horn scoring night, thats what we did for the kids bull moose.

Nice buck by the way, congrats.

Big Sky 11-19-2018 04:37 PM

I would just score it myself using the B&C sheet. It's fun to know how big a deer is according to their system and it's not hard to do. Once you get your rough score you can decide if you want to take it somewhere to be scored.

That's a nice buck. Congrats.

Sitting Bull 11-19-2018 04:54 PM

Wow! very nice.
A trophy buck to me is any buck that brings a big smile to my face. I think it did to you.
Congratulation.

Bluedog 11-19-2018 05:44 PM

168” Gross 161” Net
Bluedog guess

Swolf 11-19-2018 05:44 PM

Oh ya totally pumped. I don’t think I have ever seen a bigger rack in the wild.

We hunted this area for 4 years and had yet to shoot anything. So it was nice reward.

Stinky Buffalo 11-19-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitting Bull (Post 3875175)
Wow! very nice.
A trophy buck to me is any buck that brings a big smile to my face. I think it did to you.
Congratulation.

Exactly! Great buck. Congratulations!

JReed 11-19-2018 05:50 PM

Congratulations, thats a heavy and unique rack for sure. Regardless of score, I'd be hanging that one on the wall.

drake 11-19-2018 07:17 PM

164”...scored

You can EMT me $35 and I’ll enter it for you :)

Jk pal...heck of a buck. Congrats

220 Swift 11-19-2018 07:38 PM

Yes get it scored. I am going to say 170 gross and 162 net.

Howard Hutchinson 11-19-2018 07:42 PM

Wow!! Score him or not, he's a beauty!

Is there a story to this fella?

Howard Hutchinson 11-19-2018 07:44 PM

Excellent brows too! Love em

reddeerhunter 11-19-2018 08:17 PM

Go for it

Score it yourself. 158 net typ

About 163 gross.

Thanks for sharing.

Jwolf557 11-19-2018 08:34 PM

I’m the lucky brother to put my sight on this big buck and drop him. To be perfectly honest, the first WT buck I have ever harvested. I scored him at 150 based on B&C website scoring sheet and guideline for typical. This included 5 points deduction for the abnormal points on the brow Tines. Regardless scoring is more of interest than anything for me. I was shocked when I crested the hill and caught sight of his rack. He darted out of sight, and I assumed he was gone, but then then came back into sight shorty after. He was darting in and around a group of willows. It turned out he was hot in a doe. He was putting on a bit of a show for the doe and eventually (after I stopped shaking and relaxed enough to calm down for a shot) presented himself by turning 2/3 broadside I pulled the trigger. Right place at the right time. The buck didn’t take 2 steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbl170 11-19-2018 08:36 PM

He's a good one,congrats! Try scoring it yourself. Lots of info out there. For sure 160 +

fordtruckin 11-19-2018 08:36 PM

will your local Fur and Fins office do it? I know if you bring one in to us we have several people trained how to score B&C but it wouldn't be official. Would give you an idea if its worth getting officially scored. Either way that's a heavy heavy buck! I'd be tickled to harvest a deer like that. Good Job!

JimW55 11-19-2018 08:44 PM

Get him measured and post it.

Refur 11-19-2018 09:00 PM

WOW, Nice Job I've noticed some very spectacular Antlers out their this season but I have to say (NICE RACK) lol. Its always good to record keeps like that even for research but the trophy is in the eye of the hunter just my two cents, the real trophy is the experience and how it gets served on my plate!

bezzola 11-19-2018 09:05 PM

High 150’s

Swolf 11-19-2018 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a copy of his B/C score