Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dude shot out of his stand near Fairview by a 14 year old neighbor. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=388846)

Jays toyz 10-12-2020 02:19 PM

Dude shot out of his stand near Fairview by a 14 year old neighbor.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...27206501131844

My wife asked "was he wearing Orange" I responded "nobody in Alberta wears hunters orange

Poor b**yard. Speedy recovery.

Savage Bacon 10-12-2020 02:28 PM

Jeez I hope he gets to use his arm again. Hopefully people learn from this kids mistake.

Outbound 10-12-2020 02:29 PM

Damn that's rough. I hope he recovers fully. I feel bad for the kid who shot him too. That stupid mistake, that rushed shot before he verified his target will haunt him the rest of his life.

I've seen some pretty dumb crap pulled in the woods, so I've been giving serious thought to wearing orange even if it's just an orange cap.

Twisted Canuck 10-12-2020 02:30 PM

I'm trying to imagine how any 7mm shot from 100 yards didn't blow right through his shoulder? That is a stomach turning situation for sure. Not sure how you mistake a person in a stand for a cougar, but it was at last light....but still. Know your target folks, 110%, or don't shoot. That fellow is damn lucky to be alive. Sounds like he may be a cripple for life from it though. Tragic.

I'm surprised I didn't hear about it, how local was this to GP, Jay?

tri777 10-12-2020 03:02 PM

Stupid..stupid stupid stupid..should be banned from firearm usage for life! Full stop.
I don't ever tug on any triggers not knowing what the hell I am trying to take out!
Stupid.

elkhunter11 10-12-2020 03:36 PM

The incident was the result of negligence, luckily nobody was killed by such stupidity.

JohnB 10-12-2020 03:38 PM

How did this not make the news when it happened. . My buddy told me about this a couple days after it happened and expected it would have made the news.

58thecat 10-12-2020 04:18 PM

I like the fella's perspective on this...he was grateful...we should be too...mistakes are made...live and learn...hopefully all gain another level from this....

tri777 10-12-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4246833)
I like the fella's perspective on this...he was grateful...we should be too...
mistakes are made...
live and learn...hopefully all gain another level from this....

Completely 100% disagree.
If anyone has anything over 500FPS, they must have the required training course's to aquire the firearms.
If they are found going against the firearms training course & shooting at targets unknown = Fail !!
If 100 people a yr were shooting at unknown targets, the laws would have to change then because of the stupids.

You should not be in the care of any firearm if the dumb 'shoot & hope' for the best.
The guy who got shot will never recover because of this absurd, over the top, stupidity.

.264 Win Mag 10-12-2020 04:30 PM

Amazing outlook by that guy for sure. Tough lesson for kids and good reminder to always be 110% sure before you pull the trigger. Being the daughter and son sound like young kids it’s amazing how sometimes you eyes are tricked into seeing what you were told was there. Very tragic incident that could have been far far worse. Hopefully a full and speedy recovery

58thecat 10-12-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri777 (Post 4246837)
Completely 100% disagree.
If anyone has anything over 500FPS, they must have the required training course's to aquire the firearms.
If they are found going against the firearms training course & shooting at targets unknown = Fail !!
If 100 people a yr were shooting at unknown targets, the laws would have to change then because of the stupids.

You should not be in the care of any firearm if the dumb 'shoot & hope' for the best.
The guy who got shot will never recover because of this absurd, over the top, stupidity.

you never made a mistake?...be it this young fella did..horrible for all involved...be nice is one small step....its an easy step and we are all capable of this....you, me and the other keyboard jury's have no clue...other than hope all a recovery from this.

tri777 10-12-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4246850)
you never made a mistake?...be it this young fella did..horrible for all involved...be nice is one small step....its an easy step and we are all capable of this....you, me and the other keyboard jury's have no clue...other than hope all a recovery from this.

If I drink & drive and kill/heavily injure someone, kindly remove my licence please.
I don't give a poo if he is young, he is playing with items that are for proper minded adults. This is far
beyond making a mistake. Far.Period.

This "oops is dam near intentional, a very dangerous operator if he is in possession of a PAL.
(what good was the training?)
There is nil reason to shoot anything you cannot confirm, if dim lighting is the excuse >>
you have no rightful reason to pull that trigger. If I get shot out in the bush, I will not be nice !!

Agb Crash 10-12-2020 05:54 PM

is this the same shooting that happened in Sept.

Published Thursday, September 24, 2020 1:54PM MDT

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/stars-ta...dent-1.5118923

Crash

kujoseto 10-12-2020 06:13 PM

Yikes!!!
Sure hope he recovers.
Senseless and preventable and he is fortunate to be alive

bezzola 10-12-2020 08:36 PM

That’s such crap that kid should have the book thrown at him.
I had it happen to me a truck stopped on the road scope me Out in a field with round bails and boom dirt flies beside. And I had an orange togue on.

Jays toyz 10-12-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agb Crash (Post 4246898)
is this the same shooting that happened in Sept.

Published Thursday, September 24, 2020 1:54PM MDT

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/stars-ta...dent-1.5118923

Crash

Yup. https://www.mygrandeprairienow.com/7...ting-incident/

Bergerboy 10-12-2020 08:46 PM

It would be interesting to know how old the shooters sister was. If she was not 18, the shooter should not have been in possession of the firearm.

wildwoods 10-12-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bezzola (Post 4246986)
That’s such crap that kid should have the book thrown at him.
I had it happen to me a truck stopped on the road scope me Out in a field with round bails and boom dirt flies beside. And I had an orange togue on.

Wow that’s scary. Were you able to confront them? That gives me the creeps.

wildwoods 10-12-2020 08:56 PM

Awful awful stuff. This is mostly on this kids mentor in my opinion. We need to be teaching these things and driving them home. We can’t take these lessons for granted. I just hunted pheasant with my 11 year old today and read him this Facebook post after a great day afield. Now he understands why I harp on every little safety item in the field. Totally a training issue

Jays toyz 10-12-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergerboy (Post 4246990)
It would be interesting to know how old the shooters sister was. If she was not 18, the shooter should not have been in possession of the firearm.

Article said sister came and left and then her brother and father arrived. People seen to be missing that point. No pal issue as the 14 year old was with his pal carrying father.

TrapperMike 10-12-2020 09:01 PM

What does her age have to do with it, his father was there.

elkhunter11 10-12-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jays toyz (Post 4247001)
Article said sister came and left and then her brother and father arrived. People seen to be missing that point. No pal issue as the 14 year old was with his pal carrying father.

Then the father was legally responsible for the firearm the 14 year old was carrying. The son was supposed to be under his direct supervision.

Bergerboy 10-12-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jays toyz (Post 4247001)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrapperMike (Post 4247002)
What does her age have to do with it, his father was there.

My apologies, I reread the article and the father was there. The kids dad needs to be held responsible for this one.

elkrub 10-12-2020 09:33 PM

Yes ...The Father Is Responsible.
It's Obvious that identifying your Target is something he was Never taught!!

tri777 10-12-2020 09:45 PM

"..when they got there before the dad even got a chance to look the 14 year old son had pulled the trigger.."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bolded doesn't even make sense, and is written so fast like it's leaving out crucial details..so what was
the father looking at as the minor loaded the chamber, lowered the long gun, then aimed. That is a pretty
long time for him to not be looking..almost can't help wondering if the son took the heat or something as the
whole story is wrapped up in a reckless, hastey firing.

elkhunter11 10-12-2020 09:58 PM

The 14 year old legally had to be under the direct supervision if the father, so yes, the father should be legally responsible.

tri777 10-12-2020 10:23 PM

I guess this story bugs me so much as a few years ago one afternoon I suddenly had an issue with
a hunter shooting on the land he was on, ending up on mine. His many ricocheting .308 bullets were
zinging down the long hill & into my yard. I raced up there by foot about 2000ft away to find said idiot and
found it was 4 of them target practicing, of course I told them about their pure stupidity.

Who Da Fisherman 10-12-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4246833)
I like the fella's perspective on this...he was grateful...we should be too...mistakes are made...live and learn...hopefully all gain another level from this....

And he said he is happy how things were dealt with!!
Why are some making more out of this?
Hoping for a speedy recovery.
WDF

elkhunter11 10-12-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman (Post 4247046)
And he said he is happy how things were dealt with!!
Why are some making more out of this?
Hoping for a speedy recovery.
WDF

Why? Because this type of behavior should never be acceptable. A life could easily have been lost due to negligence with a firearm.

britman101 10-13-2020 02:32 AM

Man shot out of stand

This is terrible as the young man in the stand might never regain use of his left arm, and it sounds like there is damage to the nerves that might cause him to feel pain in that arm for the rest of his life. The young fella made a serious error and if the guy who got shot ends up suing his family for compensation who can blame him. His working life could be ruined forever.