Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do you Catch and Realse or Keep fish (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=88851)

Dust1n 04-13-2011 09:43 PM

Do you Catch and Realse or Keep fish

Do you C&R, Keep what you catch, A bit of both?

Dust1n 04-13-2011 09:48 PM

Do you Catch and Realse or Keep fish?

Do you C&R, Keep what you catch, A bit of both
Please give me feedback on your thoughts

Dust1n 04-13-2011 09:49 PM

I choose C&R with the odd shore lunch. 95% C&R fisherman.

ShhImFishing 04-13-2011 09:53 PM

i almost always C&R especially if they're a decent size, let them big genes reproduce :sHa_shakeshout:

Every now and then when i go fishing with my bro, he left town so i hardly see him anymore and hes the one who started me fishing, and we catch one or two thats just over the required length ill keep it for a shore side lunch, mostly for nostalgia, but also for some good eats :D

redranger15 04-13-2011 10:00 PM

I keep what I catch till I get my limit. Fish for walleye mostly, through back all the jack. If i'm going for monster cats they all go back, or what ever else I catch out of the Red River:sick:. Keep the trout till my limit as well, but haven't gone in a long time. Keep the odd perch if we don't have enough pick for shore lunch.

bloopbloob 04-13-2011 10:00 PM

I probably keep only 2 or 3 fish a year, the rest go back. Never keep big ones either (except maybe perch, but can't seem to catch big ones anyways... :thinking-006: ). Approx sizes I'll keep for eating: Pike 3-4lbs, Walleye 2.5-4lbs, trout 2-3lbs, perch 1lb or bigger

Dust1n 04-13-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloopbloob (Post 905236)
I probably keep only 2 or 3 fish a year, the rest go back. Never keep big ones either (except maybe perch, but can't seem to catch big ones anyways... :thinking-006: ). Approx sizes I'll keep for eating: Pike 3-4lbs, Walleye 2.5-4lbs, trout 2-3lbs, perch 1lb or bigger

the tiny cutties in the creeks are incredible after a hard day of hiking.

bloopbloob 04-13-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 (Post 905238)
the tiny cutties in the creeks are incredible after a hard day of hiking.

never caught one...... Only trout i've ever caught has been rainbows

ShhImFishing 04-13-2011 10:05 PM

i dont know why but i never could justify keeping monsters :D
I remember when my bro took me out when i was still young, maybe 5-6 years old, he "taught me" how to "properly" use a jig, anyway I hooked a nice pike, my bro had to pull it in lol... he wanted to keep it, i told him i wanted to try holding it and i put it back into the water lol he was ****ed....

Dust1n 04-13-2011 10:06 PM

walk up a small moutain creek throw on a small adams and they readly rise and are very esy to catch easer then bows IMO

RandyBoBandy 04-13-2011 10:06 PM

CNR here...In Alberta I believe there is way too much pressure:)

ShhImFishing 04-13-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloopbloob (Post 905240)
never caught one...... Only trout i've ever caught has been rainbows

same here, and ive only ever caught maybe 3 rainbows, my roots were in pike and walleye fishing, got a fly rod over the winter, planning on learning to fly fish this year, should be able to add to the tally on rainbows hehe

Daceminnow 04-13-2011 10:09 PM

90 percent of the waters i fish are c&r only by regulations, the other 10 percent of the time my son won't let me keep what we are permitted to take home. we take a lot of photos.

Dace

pickrel pat 04-13-2011 10:13 PM

mostly catch and release. i love to eat fish. if the fish is from a healthy population i will take one or two. on the other hand, if the fish are overpopulated and stunting i wont hesitate to limit out.

densa44 04-13-2011 10:16 PM

Haven't kept a trout in years

It's not a religion or anything like that it is just that I'd rather eat Cod or the like and I have just let the trout go. I used barb less hooks long before it was the law because I had me, my clothes etc. more than the fish, so I just started squeezing them down.

I you like to eat them, just keep the little ones and let the spawners go.

Braun 04-13-2011 10:31 PM

CnR mostly but i definitely keep a few fish. I have an amazing smoked whitefish recipe. Thanks to stang i have an amazing recipe for perch.

I dont go for perch often(maybe twice a year) but if I do I will keep enough for a meal for me and the GF.
Ill keep a couple trout a year.
maybe one walleye a year but most go back.
But ill keep more whites than any other fish. I loved my smoked white

Jamie 04-13-2011 10:43 PM

When Salmon fishing at Great Pacific Salmon Lodge, if you didn’t practice some catch and release during the Coho season, your day would be done in a hour or 2.

We are leaving that decision up to our guests. Anyone who releases a 50# + Salmon gets a free trip out of it.

It's a very personal thing and one I wouldn’t want to force on our guests.

Jamie

Speckle55 04-13-2011 10:52 PM

yes i do but i will eat some sometimes.. today i released a 5#10 Rainbow and a 6#6 Bull Trout/ 4#2 Bull Trout... took three smaller Rainbow at 19 inches and less to eat nice day on Kootenay Lake miss 5 hits may be one a nice fish although you never know..bed time up early tomorrow:sHa_shakeshout:

horsetrader 04-13-2011 10:54 PM

I keep the odd fish especially if fishing perch most walleye is C&R keep the odd pike in the winter.Don't fish for trout so if I do catch one it's by accident so it's released. And when i start fishing Alberta Small mouth bass that will be C&R also................:)

JJRND 04-13-2011 11:07 PM

During the summer and fall I'll only keep fish caught in mountain lakes and streams. Ice fishing, I'll keep fish from most places. However, I catch and release the monsters. They aren't great for eating, and maybe you'll have (or allow another fellow fisherman) the thrill of catching them again someday.

lifesaflyin 04-13-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJRND (Post 905346)
During the summer and fall I'll only keep fish caught in mountain lakes and streams. Ice fishing, I'll keep fish from most places. However, I catch and release the monsters. They aren't great for eating, and maybe you'll have (or allow another fellow fisherman) the thrill of catching them again someday.

I am the same. mostly C&R. But I like the occasional fish fry once and a while.

Sooner 04-13-2011 11:43 PM

I prefer to catch and quickly release. My ex bro inlaw keeps every walleye allowed. I didnt tell him to release his fish but he always wanted me to keep one for him. Glad he's not my bro inlaw anymore and no I didnt keep one for him but when I go fishing with my kids, if one wants to keep a fish the rule is they have to eat it with me. We dont keep any fish yet.

bigcougar 04-14-2011 12:10 AM

When ice fishing, I keep most of my fish; they are stocked triploids anyways.
In rivers, the majority of my fish are released with the occasional salmon and trout kept. Sometimes, I may target mountain whitefish in rivers and keep them.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES 04-14-2011 01:00 AM

Out of all the fishing I do in a year which is just a little bit , I keep fish maybe 5 times . I'm not a huge fish fan but love salmon and seafood .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 905306)
When Salmon fishing at Great Pacific Salmon Lodge, if you didn't practice some catch and release during the Coho season, your day would be done in a hour or 2.

We are leaving that decision up to our guests. Anyone who releases a 50# + Salmon gets a free trip out of it.

It's a very personal thing and one I wouldn't want to force on our guests.

Jamie

Jamie that is a really good incentive for promoting catch and release fishing . I like that .

Isopod 04-14-2011 03:24 AM

I keep 3 whitefish or so each year for the smoker, everything else gets tossed back for me (and others) to catch again!

grind stone 04-14-2011 03:46 AM

If it's legal i keep it other wise it goes back.

Kokanee9 04-14-2011 05:21 AM

If I went fishing to eat fish, I could have saved a bunch of money by just going to Safeway instead of putting the money that I have into fishing. Nothing ever stays in the boat.

thedonald 04-14-2011 07:18 AM

I keep some from a few hike in mountain lakes and a few prairie potholes with good water. I find if the lake smells swampy than that flavors the fish especially the big ones. So at Sparrows Egg, caught lots of keepers this year but let them all go. Might sample one at Police out of the cold water but when I fish for food, I like salmon and other ocean fish. Fishing for trout for me is more of an exercise, scenery, search and technique session and a lot of humble pie eating as I watch others do a lot better. So I always pack a snack when I head out.

honda450 04-14-2011 07:23 AM

Mostly fish for cutties on the ES. Catch and Release, fun to catch but don't really like to eat them.

Jwood 456 04-14-2011 08:06 AM

I usually catch and keep my limit of the legal size walleye and will leave the lake alone for a little while. I usually release any pike under 8lbs even though many 4+lbers are legal keeping size and probably would only keep 1 pike over 10lbs. I generally keep one large fish, relase the small ones so they can get big and mainly keep the medium sized ones. I then usually leave the lake or spot alone for a while.

Also, next time I go perch fishing too, I will probably only keep 5 perch instead of 15 perch. I usually release any perch under 8''.