Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Looking for a Tripod suggestion... for a spotting scope (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=352673)

ttankster 10-08-2018 08:23 PM

Looking for a Tripod suggestion... for a spotting scope

As the title suggests, my son is wanting a tripod for his spotting scope that he can attach to his pack that is both lightweight and suitable for backcountry hunting. It's his birthday coming up and I am thinking carbon fibre for sure..
Any suggestions of what you are using and what works would be appreciated.
Thanks
Craig

Evan83 10-09-2018 09:03 AM

Depends on what your budget is but I got this one last year for elk hunting and it worked good. Small, lightweight and won't break the bank.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ou...-1757049p.html

ks.snow 10-09-2018 09:15 AM

I use the Sirui t-025x and it has worked well for me so far. Typically pan heads are better than ball heads for spotting scopes and bino's, but this one works fairly well since there is a separate pan and tilt knob. I think it is roughly 2lbs so fairly light as well.

LJalberta 10-09-2018 09:29 AM

Depends on where the budget falls. I currently have a Slik Sprint Pro II with a Benro S2 Panhead. Great combo for a few hundred dollars. I believe the legs are around 28 oz and the panhead around a pound or so. In the future I'll probably end up with an Outdoorsman Panhead and Promaster XC525C legs. Definitely better quality, but also over double the price.

ttankster 10-10-2018 08:10 AM

Thank you for the input.... I'll have a look at those!

JoshT 10-10-2018 02:03 PM

I have a vortex summit tripod that I bought second hand. Originally it came with just the ball head which right away I realized is a bit of a pain to use. Definitely something to keep in mind, the pan/tilt heads are much more user friendly!

ttankster 10-11-2018 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshT (Post 3853405)
I have a vortex summit tripod that I bought second hand. Originally it came with just the ball head which right away I realized is a bit of a pain to use. Definitely something to keep in mind, the pan/tilt heads are much more user friendly!

Thanks for that...

brightons 10-16-2018 05:20 AM

I have been running a Manfrotto tripod for the last 10+ yrs,
I use this tripod for the spotting scope use, both standing, sitting, lying down and for a SP pistol rest for hunting, LR and target work etc, this tripod will get as close as 6" to ground level or will be usable to a 6'6" height etc.

ttankster 10-16-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightons (Post 3856072)
I have been running a Manfrotto tripod for the last 10+ yrs,
I use this tripod for the spotting scope use, both standing, sitting, lying down and for a SP pistol rest for hunting, LR and target work etc, this tripod will get as close as 6" to ground level or will be usable to a 6'6" height etc.

Thanks... I use a Manfrotto for my photography but it is really heavy. I do like the flexibility it has, just not the weight. I'm guessing they have carbon fibre legs on some of their models as well. I'll have to look - thanks.

Nosler 10-16-2018 08:54 AM

Check out the outdoorsman's medium tripod with a jim white head. That is what I use for sheep hunting and have been very happy with it.

raw outdoors 10-17-2018 08:31 AM

Gitzo is the best you can get. I love mine. I got it for %60 off but I can’t remember who I ended up ordering it from. I am running a manfrotto head and have a larue mount so I can attach my rifle to the mangrotto head and use the tripod to shoot off of.

barkim 10-19-2018 03:29 PM

Take a look at The Slik 624CF

ttankster 10-19-2018 06:09 PM

Thanks again for the options, I'll have a look!

mattyv 10-19-2018 08:41 PM

I’d poke around and see if you can find a used gitzo on Kijiji.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk