Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CFO Shutdown? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=378187)

1stLand 03-18-2020 12:31 AM

CFO Shutdown?

I talked to Cabelas customer service (for shipping orders) today and I was told by the person on the phone she heard that the CFO office is being closed down during this emergency.

Can someone confirm if they heard rumblings of this?

She didn't sound very experienced or knowledgeable in general so maybe she was confused or just ill informed. I am not looking to spread rumors, just want some information from some people on this forum that may know more

Ken07AOVette 03-18-2020 12:49 AM

It's true, was on the radio.

Email only, expect long delays.

waldedw 03-18-2020 06:20 AM

Yup old buddy of mine retired RCMP still hangs with the local members for coffee told me yesterday CFO closed for a min 2 weeks, expect longer than normal wait times, mine expires in 2024, hope they are open by then :thinking-006:

Jigsalot 03-18-2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldedw (Post 4129610)
Yup old buddy of mine retired RCMP still hangs with the local members for coffee told me yesterday CFO closed for a min 2 weeks, expect longer than normal wait times, mine expires in 2024, hope they are open by then :thinking-006:

Ok I’ll bite. What is CFO?

blgoodbrand1 03-18-2020 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsalot (Post 4129614)
Ok I’ll bite. What is CFO?

Chief firearms officer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky buck 03-18-2020 06:48 AM

Glad I did my renewal early just got my new PAL 2weeks ago

Jigsalot 03-18-2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 (Post 4129616)
Chief firearms officer

Ok got it. Thanks did not know that👍

Au revoir, Gopher 03-18-2020 07:02 AM

From their website: "Due to measures taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we are currently experiencing service delays. We apologize for any inconvenience."

ARG

JeanCretien 03-18-2020 07:17 AM

Heaven forbid that Betty the clerk has to log in via VPN and work from home to proses applications. I’m sure CUPE is ensuring that she is still paid and is given a stress pillow to squeeze. Remember, it’s for the common good.

saskbooknut 03-18-2020 07:24 AM

The Federal computer system is not designed for the loading of remote work in this emergency, so they will prioritize.
CUPE has nothing to do with the Federal employees of the Firearms Centre.
Paper pushing is far from the highest priority.

Au revoir, Gopher 03-18-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskbooknut (Post 4129646)

Huh? Paper pushing is their raison d'être.

ARG

CBintheNorth 03-18-2020 07:45 AM

Anyone else think that they half did this on purpose?

muirsy 03-18-2020 07:58 AM

Dang, just sent in my RPAL application a month ago. Will be waiting a while!

saskbooknut 03-18-2020 08:24 AM

Sure, paper pushing is much of the reason for the Firearms Centre.
So let's be clearer, the Firearms regulations paperwork are not the highest priority in an unprecedented epidemic.
The last epidemic of such threatening public health dimensions was the 1918/19 flu. The economic implications, in an information technology world, are worse.

CritterCommander 03-18-2020 08:54 AM

Did my RPAL renewal on line about 3 weeks ago. Got the letter asking for a range membership, etc. Faxed them the info last Friday, not sure what to think. It would be nice if they gave you an email to send that info to.

BCSteel 03-18-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskbooknut (Post 4129646)

Without a valid PAL, you are committing a federal offence if you own firearms. That's a little more important than just "paper pushing".

elkhunter11 03-18-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCSteel (Post 4129712)
Without a valid PAL, you are committing a federal offence if you own firearms. That's a little more important than just "paper pushing".

And apparently some people that have never owned firearms, are suddenly running out to buy them, only to discover , that it isn't as easy, as the anti firearms groups were ranting. They are learning that it will takes months to get licenses to buy firearms.

Twisted Canuck 03-18-2020 09:45 AM

Glad I got my renewal done and in my hands a month ago....

saskbooknut 03-18-2020 11:54 AM

Expect a grace period for expired PAL if they cannot process renewals.
Is everything a panic these days?

zabbo 03-18-2020 12:10 PM

Mine is good to 2023. One way or another, think they all have much bigger fish to fry at this point! :snapoutofit:

brendan's dad 03-18-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBintheNorth (Post 4129658)
Anyone else think that they half did this on purpose?

What? The corona virus? Naw

Cement Bench 03-18-2020 02:51 PM

handgun transfer I am the owner

on hold for 11 minutes at 230pm Alberta time
transfer for handgun took another 7-8 minutes

thought you should know,

no holdup at this time today

Cement Bench

the world did not fall although she was working from home and did not invite me over for coffee

jrowan 03-18-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanCretien (Post 4129642)
Heaven forbid that Betty the clerk has to log in via VPN and work from home to proses applications. I’m sure CUPE is ensuring that she is still paid and is given a stress pillow to squeeze. Remember, it’s for the common good.

I'm ok with this simply because they might be re-distributing the clerks to front-line positions (it is being planned for in the health care sector).

Also, not that it is a good excuse, but given that I work in IT I'd rather not trust the RCMP to quickly roll out remote work tools like VPNs in a secure manner. Most police stations are likely stuck in early 2000s software/hardware because of privacy concerns and budget restrictions.

boah 03-18-2020 05:26 PM

Mine was going to expire in July. I am now good for much longer now.
As long as your in the process of renewing you can still posess firearms????
Might have trouble getting ammo though.

jrowan 03-18-2020 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boah (Post 4130039)
Mine was going to expire in July. I am now good for much longer now.
As long as your in the process of renewing you can still posess firearms????
Might have trouble getting ammo though.

That is correct, however, I'm not sure if you are allowed to transport them. Buying ammo would be impossible. RCMP may issue a notice automatically ending PALs for a short period of time, but I wouldn't count on that as it would be pretty low priority right now.

old30-06 03-19-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrowan (Post 4130142)
That is correct, however, I'm not sure if you are allowed to transport them. Buying ammo would be impossible. RCMP may issue a notice automatically ending PALs for a short period of time, but I wouldn't count on that as it would be pretty low priority right now.

If your PAL expires, you have a 6 month grace period to renew or complete the renewal process. You may or may not receive a letter from the CFC advising you that your PAL is expiring, so the onus is on you to check your PAL expiry date.
During the 6 months with your expired PAL, you cannot transport firearms or purchase ammunition.
After the 6 months has pased, the police can seize your firearms.
If you are renewing, use the online renewal process. The CFC accepts a selfie picture (head and shoulders) for the online renewal.
For RPAL's, monitor the CFC website to see when the application is passed to the CFO. Call the CFO when they have your application, get an email address from the clerk and send a scanned image of your range pass to the CFO.

guysmiley 03-19-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CritterCommander (Post 4129698)
Did my RPAL renewal on line about 3 weeks ago. Got the letter asking for a range membership, etc. Faxed them the info last Friday, not sure what to think. It would be nice if they gave you an email to send that info to.

Here is the Email I sent my range membership to just last week:

cfpcfounit@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

saskbooknut 03-19-2020 08:51 AM

Send a scan or photo of your range membership with your renewal for RPAL. Why wait ? You know they are going to ask for it.

Au revoir, Gopher 03-19-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskbooknut (Post 4130398)
Send a scan or photo of your range membership with your renewal for RPAL. Why wait ? You know they are going to ask for it.

It would be nice if that was an option for the online renewal.

ARG

CBintheNorth 03-19-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendan's dad (Post 4129936)
What? The corona virus? Naw

On Saturday cabelas set a record for firearms sold.
On Sunday they beat that record.

I don't think it was all people gearing up for spring bear.:)