Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best broadheads on the market ? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=295025)

Buck du Nord 07-31-2016 09:03 PM

Best broadheads on the market ?

It has been a long time since I bought my last broadheads. But I need new ones for the coming hunting season and I was wondering which is the best one on the market right now for deer hunting ? Fix or mechanical, I would like to know your opinion about it. I know there is a lot of knowledge on this forum. Thanks you for sharing !

Martin

jeffreys 21234 08-01-2016 12:15 AM

I shot some 100 grain ram cats at my bear this spring for the first time an all I can say was holy did they make a hole and he didn't even go forty yards an broad head woulda been good to go after shot but I build a barricade with big trees around barrel so it went threw bear and smoked logs but I can replace the blades for dirt cheap and wat I like about them was if they don't go al way threw blades will pivot and have razor sharp edges on both sides so all its doing is cutting and creating a huge hole gonna hopefully test one out on a moose this fall

Prdtrgttr 08-01-2016 12:50 AM

For deer...I'd choose a mechanical. We've killed a ton of deer with Wasp Jak Hammers. Cheaper than the big names, fly like darts, leave big holes, short and prolific blood trails.

bowhunter9841 08-01-2016 01:35 AM

I am shooting (100gr.)slick trick standards myself. I love them!!

jmichelin84 08-01-2016 05:58 AM

I love the ace heads on trad, magnus on my carbons

wcbarker 08-01-2016 08:14 AM

Every broadhead out there is someones favorite

xring_assassin 08-01-2016 10:07 AM

I love the solid, one piece construction of montec broadheads. Our Alberta critters are bigger and tougher than any of the cute animals in the USA - and they need a tough broadhead.

Someone copied them - I think they are called hellrazor.

Pretty much anything with all steel components is fine. Avoid aluminum - it snaps when it hits bone. And avoid any cute little switchblade flippy dippy mechanical BS - they fail and break too. Animals deserve better than junk.

Lefty-Canuck 08-01-2016 10:30 AM

Know how and where and when to shoot and any broadhead with solid construction will work, I use grim reapers because they have proven time and again to work.

LC

Bergerboy 08-01-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3291743)
Know how and where and when to shoot and any broadhead with solid construction will work, I use grim reapers because they have proven time and again to work.

LC

Which Grim Reaper do you use?

Lefty-Canuck 08-01-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergerboy (Post 3291748)
Which Grim Reaper do you use?

100gr 1 3/8 razortips but I have some of the new 4 blade carnifour 100gr on order.

LC

Moreland 08-01-2016 11:45 AM

I love the Rage broadheads for a mechanical head and the Slick Tricks for a fixed blade. Both of them will leave a big hole and a messy blood trail!!

reddeerhunter 08-01-2016 03:13 PM

F15 Carbon express for WT
Innerloc Shapeshifters for 40yd mule shots
VPA 2/3 blade for moose and elk. Non vented.

I am a bit of a broadhead junkie. But everyone has a favorite.

Exodus is huge right now, and for mechanicals I say Grims are top notch. I read and re-read every stat know to god on these.

ABrocket 08-01-2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moreland (Post 3291794)
I love the Rage broadheads for a mechanical head and the Slick Tricks for a fixed blade. Both of them will leave a big hole and a messy blood trail!!

^^^ this

Stumpslayer 08-01-2016 04:44 PM

Wac Em.

Big fan of the fixed blade Wac' Ems...I have killed several animals with them, and I have to say the tuning is minimal if at all, shoot the 4 blade 100's and have several friend that use the three blade.

I understand that a lot of guys like mechanicals/expandable, but there are some draw backs to consider, loss of energy when the blades open and the possibility of blade failure.

I had a buddy loose and elk only to find it a couple days later complete pass through, but minimal blood and the mechanical had no blades, there have been improvements in the durability of the mechanicals on the market today, its just not worth the risk and your quarry deserves the most lethal option. for that reason...Wac' Em is my choice.

Buck du Nord 08-02-2016 08:13 AM

Thanks for your answers guys !

blgoodbrand1 08-02-2016 08:29 AM

Hard to beat the Montecs in a fixed blade. Hellrazors are very similar but I don't feel they're as week built or consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raw outdoors 08-02-2016 03:25 PM

Used all sorts before i tried slick tricks i realy liked the slick tricks but i only draw 60lbs because of a bad arm and just couldn't get enough penetration for my likeing I switched QAD Exodus and they are deadly accurate ,tough and penetrated very well on elk and moose last season.

Jamie Black R/T 08-02-2016 04:13 PM

used slick trick standards,100gr with good results.

Trying some grim reaper razortips this season.

apanano 08-02-2016 08:23 PM

Slick trick Mags work great and fly same as feild points out to 80yrds no issues

Packmule 08-04-2016 09:09 AM

I had some older fixed grim reapers that I loved but since then I haven't found anything that I enjoyed as much. I know I've had a could of unfortunate experiences with mechanical broadheads which has soured my outlook on those.

coyotekiller 08-04-2016 11:43 AM

NAP makes some good broadheads

ocarcheryrangeairdrie 08-04-2016 02:04 PM

after doing some extensive research we have decided to start selling ramcat broadheads at our shop now at OC Archery Range! come check them out.

Gunfever 08-04-2016 02:29 PM

Depends on the type your looking for?

Lortadan 08-14-2016 02:32 PM

I use well-known montec fixed blade for bigger animals. The mechanical broadheads ... to many things can go wrong, some brands improve quality and perform better then fixed blade and get bigger blood trail. is not 100% guarantee the second mechanical broadhead you use will perform as good the first one.

GoneOutdoors 08-15-2016 03:57 PM

Been using the 100gr 1 inch slick tricks for the last ten years. Sucks they keep jumping in price witg popularity! Great weapon. Game has rarely made it 30yards when shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heckler 08-16-2016 03:06 PM

New doesn't necessarily mean something is the best or better than what is available. For me personally, I would never choose mechanicals. A good cut on contact fixed blade is about as good as it gets, and I have found the Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts to fly and perform better than any other broadhead I have ever used. Most people don't hear about them because they're not new and flashy - but they don't need to be, because they are tried and true.

dbllung 08-16-2016 03:39 PM

Shot 3 bull elk in last 4 years with rage hypos
All pass through's .....2 of them lodged in trees on the opposite side
I have harvested a lot of animals with that broad head since they hit the market
Never had a failure . Not even a partial one ..
Staggeringly huge entry and exit wounds, and VERY short blood trails.. I only take broadside shots, and never shoot at an animal past 40 yards so they work well for my scenario..

Every hunter has their " go to" choices and each one of us sets differing limits on shot angles and distances .

Find what suits your hunting style and give er

madball 08-16-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbllung (Post 3303323)
Shot 3 bull elk in last 4 years with rage hypos
All pass through's .....2 of them lodged in trees on the opposite side
I have harvested a lot of animals with that broad head since they hit the market
Never had a failure . Not even a partial one ..
Staggeringly huge entry and exit wounds, and VERY short blood trails.. I only take broadside shots, and never shoot at an animal past 40 yards so they work well for my scenario..

Every hunter has their " go to" choices and each one of us sets differing limits on shot angles and distances .

Find what suits your hunting style and give er

How do you find they fly compared to a field tip?

dbllung 08-16-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madball (Post 3303343)
How do you find they fly compared to a field tip?

They fly the same as my field tips

BigRackLover 08-17-2016 08:48 AM

Many of the broadheads mentioned above we're tested with ballistics gel at Cabela's. Come find out the results this Saturday (20th) at 12pm at the Edmonton North Store.

More info here

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...dShowdown1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...dShowdown2.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...806_083653.jpg