Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What has hunting done for you? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=430895)

badbrass 04-21-2024 04:57 PM

What has hunting done for you?

What I think hunting has done for me! Well it has giving me friendship, Given me the right to pass my knowledge down to my Son. And given me the knowledge to respect the land and the quarry you are after! It has given me the best I can be, to be in nature and enjoy it. If it's fishing, hunting or just enjoying the outing so be it! It's enjoying that time, and not worrying about other things!

DiabeticKripple 04-21-2024 06:25 PM

drained my bank account

Talking moose 04-21-2024 06:36 PM

Got me a divorce.
I’ll forever be thankful.
Long live the hunt!

badbrass 04-21-2024 07:05 PM

Haha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 4718437)
drained my bank account

BuckCuller 04-21-2024 07:06 PM

Lots!

Probably kept me out of jail.

W921 04-21-2024 07:25 PM

When I was little kid . The men I looked up to were hunters. Only decent childhood memories I have is being alone in the woods with my 22 or shotgun.
My one kid has some really good hunting memories with me.
Its hard to describe but I was full of dreams as a kid and big game hunting,marksmanship were some of them so its a satisfaction of being able to do what I dreamed of doing when I was a little boy.
If any of you get a chance. Take a kid out hunting. It will be the most rewarding hunt for you.

glen moa 04-21-2024 08:15 PM

W921.
I’m with you.
I dreamt of making the shot that saved the pilgrims. When I was about 2yr I went to visit great uncle Dave. He had a deer mount that seemed 10’ off the ground and my dad would lift me up to pet him. On the other wall was a Remington advertisement with a grizzly coming down a rock trail and a man going up. Hunting has made me learn to shoot. I know my dad and his friends would be proud of me. When I’m hunting I feel connected to them.

2 Tollers 04-21-2024 08:42 PM

Given me some amazing sunrise and sunsets, sights that others never will encounter, quiet and peace on my terms, smells like laying in stubble waiting for geese or a wet forest. Just some great experiences with friends and the companionship of hunting dogs. Way to many things to list.

Dewey Cox 04-21-2024 08:46 PM

It's kept me from making deadlines in November...

waldedw 04-21-2024 09:13 PM

Besides the great memories and life long friends I have from hunting, it pretty much takes care of all my spare time and disposable income at the same time, since I retired I have something to hunt or shoot all year long :sHa_shakeshout:

Hoopi 04-21-2024 11:11 PM

Hunting

Hi, Hunting has
- given me a couple of careers
- led to international travel and work
- contributed to a divorce
- created lifelong friendships/relationships
- given me peace of mind when nothing else could
- given me a hobby
- drained my bank account
- fed me and my family

Hoopi

Rvsask 04-22-2024 05:31 AM

Countless memories with my kids
The opportunity to see things that most people will never see
Exercise and adventure
Food
More opportunities for learning
A pretty awesome basement rumpus room.

58thecat 04-22-2024 05:55 AM

Filled the freezer every year while making great memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil McCracken 04-22-2024 06:38 AM

Unforgettable memories...:)

BC7stw 04-22-2024 07:00 AM

Has fed me for 50 plus years, many years wild game was almost the only thing we consumed. Moose, black bears, deer, fish, grouse, rabbits, the freezer was always full. I didn’t bother to put the certified organic stamp on it when I packaged it, but you can’t get to much more from the earth than wild game.

And, wandering around out there ain’t that bad either.

Grizzly Adams1 04-22-2024 09:36 AM

I've met some interesting creatures and killed them. :lol:

Groundhogger 04-22-2024 10:57 AM

Memories I wouldn't have had otherwise. Hunting forced me to make time for the outdoors with friends/family I hold close. Not sure I'd have been so far from home seeing such amazing sunrises/sunsets were I not fishing/hunting.

It helped forge relationships with people I might not have ever met, and pursuing it (and fishing) meant meeting a buddy who'd become the closest friend I ever had. Lost him to pancreatic cancer a few years back and hunting has never felt the same since.

I still pursue it, I still fish, but depending on the day it can be tough to find the motivation honestly. Still feel extremely grateful to have known him.

roper1 04-22-2024 08:10 PM

Just seems like I've always hunted, and always do yet today. Got a toy of some sort I fiddle with while I'm on here. Generally something I like to work the action on or play with the cheek weld.

Watch for game in the fields to & from work, always check my pastures. Enjoy the huns & pheasants, watch for magpies & crows, gophers, badgers, etc. Scan the fields around work, WT, Mulies, yotes, feral horses off the neighbors.

Then try to get to the hills as much as fall allows, either the stock trailer or the wall tent. Always a few attempts at the song dogs after Christmas. My one son hard-core hunter, other boy not so much. I'm thankful & lucky! Hunting just never far away if I'm awake.

Supergrit 04-22-2024 10:07 PM

I talked to one old hunter a friend of my dad’s he was no longer able to hunt but when he was younger he done a lot. I asked him about his hunting trips and experiences and after some talking he said something that I won’t forget.
He said his favourite part of hunting was the fire. The fire at camp sitting around the fire having some drinks with friends and trying to solve the worlds problems is how he put he put it.

Kind of sad cause he knew he could never hunt again but I hope when he’s at home that he can remember those talks around the fire.

Red Bullets 04-23-2024 04:54 PM

Hunting and the outdoors over a mere 6 decades has helped me realize that it is important to understand my insignificance and impact in nature. With hunting it is being able to decide the life and death of family trees of various wildlife species is extremely important to take seriously, even somewhat 'godly.' Hunting has taught me to not be intrusive and overbearing when on the land. To only take the lives of wildlife when absolutely necessary.

Hunting for a lifetime and nature has taught me that we all have a time and place in the grand scheme of nature.

-JR- 04-23-2024 05:27 PM

All in a nut shell .

Looking back . It was the fresh air and all it had to offer and who you where sharing it with .

StiksnStrings 04-24-2024 06:23 AM

Food, friendship, peace of mind and wonderful memories.