Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pine Lake camping- where to stay? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=95259)

Ken07AOVette 06-14-2011 10:37 AM

Pine Lake camping- where to stay?

Spruce Bay Resort
Leisure Campground & Cabins
Scotty's Family Resort
Sandy Cove Beach Resort
Content Bridge Campground

Has anyone ever stayed at any of these? What about the lake? We are looking to fish and let the kids play in the water, is it a decent place?

There is absolutely nothing I can find about the place. I was booked for Glennifer lake for the 24th, but the lake has almost dried up, no point going there.

Albertadiver 06-14-2011 12:34 PM

I grew up at Pine Lake. My grandparents had a cabin at Sandy Cove. My other Grandma had a permanent trailer at Green Acres. We farmed just a few miles west of there.

The lake usually has algae, but I swam in it and waterskied every summer for years.

Scotty's, and Sandy Cove are primarily seasonal sites, but I think they have a small assortment of nightly spots. Green Acres is seasonal only.

Liesure and Spruce Bay I think have nightly sites and aren't bad, but I'm the least familiar with those two.

Content Bridge campground is very well looked after, the owners are very strict, so if you are a family you'd be fine. They just want to avoid the partiers. My wife and I stayed at Content while doing a Red Deer River canoe trip about 2 years ago.

There's a decent boat launch at the day use area at the north end of the lake. Sandy Cove has a boat launch too.

whitetailman 06-14-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 976252)
Spruce Bay Resort
Leisure Campground & Cabins
Scotty's Family Resort
Sandy Cove Beach Resort
Content Bridge Campground

Has anyone ever stayed at any of these? What about the lake? We are looking to fish and let the kids play in the water, is it a decent place?

There is absolutely nothing I can find about the place. I was booked for Glennifer lake for the 24th, but the lake has almost dried up, no point going there.

Sandy cove is no longer a public place. It's all private and u have to buy a lot. My dads a partner in it

Grizzled 06-14-2011 12:43 PM

Liesure is seasonal only....

JB_AOL 06-14-2011 07:36 PM

It's all been said, Leisure is seasonal, unless you know someone there, then there is over flow you can camp in. I've been staying there alot, as the inlaws have a seasonal. But lake does have algae/seaweed problem, typically it's really bad in June, once July hits its usually under control by then. Although it's only really noticable on the shore line.

What do you mean glennifer has dried up? Isn't it a controlled lake (dam). Maybe they haven't filled it yet? Seems odd to be dried up with all the rain around here..

Ken07AOVette 06-14-2011 07:44 PM

They are draining the lake in preparation for the big mountain melt that has not yet happened

JB_AOL 06-14-2011 07:58 PM

ok, that makes sense.
I wasn't sure if it was just meant as a fishing term (ie.. no fish)..

Ken07AOVette 06-27-2011 07:42 PM

When we got to Glennifer and looked it over it was up 12' or more, but the deadheads and debris in the water make it impossible to get a boat in. I can not imagine the work that those poor people have to go to, to make it a usable area.

That said, Glennifer is a gorgeous place, and I would definately golf there again.

Pine Lake wont be in our travel plans again though.

Steamer08 06-27-2011 08:24 PM

We have a seasonal lot at content bridge on the east side. They do have some weekend lots or nightly available too. Very nice in there. Before the river came up to much, we were having a lot of fun fishing. Caught about 20 goldeye, a few pike and some walleye. My 10 year old girl's face was priceless when she tied into a 10 lb pike. The fishing hasn't been good for a few weeks. Can't get to our spot anymore. Mostly older folks on this side. We're trying to bring the age down a bit. Tail Creek Campground on the other side is open for all kinds of camping. Get's a bit rowdy over there. Very nice campground though.

Ken07AOVette 06-27-2011 08:30 PM

We looked at the different sites on the way to spruce bay, and they looked nice. Spruce was a hole we thought, but about what we expected.

It's awesome watching the kids get the big ones, thanks Steamer!