Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fish Police (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=96569)

Private Ear 06-26-2011 11:17 PM

Fish Police

I just want to give a quick shout out to the officer that stopped me last night as I was leaving CVR and ask everyone to leave the walleye in that lake.

I was leaving my little fishing spot on a secluded road and got pulled over for crying out loud.

The officer was surprised to see headlights from that direction and asked me where I came from.

I replied "Wouldn't you like to know!". He laughed and then measured my jackfish (70cm), checked my license, asked if I had any firearms then said with a grin "enjoy your honey hole".

I really appreciate having the fishcops out and about. Are you supposed to tip them because he didn't really want to take that 20?

Just kidding, but wouldn't it be funny to tip them?

BobLoblaw 06-27-2011 12:03 AM

Good to hear a positive story.:)
Got checked down at Pine Coulee Reservoir last week while fishing with my 2 bro's & nephew. Checked licenses & checked to see that we were fishing barbless. Very pleasant fella; chatted for a few minutes, wished us luck & was on his way. I've probably had less than a half dozen encounters with F&W/CO's over the years & they've all been along those lines. I don't doubt that there are some jackholes doing the job, but I've yet to meet one.

FISHnRIG 06-27-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Private Ear (Post 990906)
I just want to give a quick shout out to the officer that stopped me last night as I was leaving CVR

Was it a younger guy?
Me and a buddy were fishing there couple years ago and got checked by a newby... really nice guy and friendly.

Private Ear 06-27-2011 06:46 AM

Yeah he was a young guy.

rhuntley12 06-27-2011 07:37 AM

Never had a run in with fish police in Canada but can say the few run ins I've had in the states they have been great. I don't think they get many bad apples as you kind of have to like the outdoors I would imagine.

Have had them come into camp and check things down there and they've always been polite and chatted.

When a teenager hunting with my brother got a flat tire and sure enough no jack. Fish cop stopped and helped us change tire, told us where he had seen game and what he heard lately where they are.

FishBrain 06-27-2011 09:57 AM

Funny how most of the people who complain about the fish cops are the ones causing the problems. Other than the "fish cops cant get there in time."

Would be funny to start tipping them, I bet if they got tipped once in a while the issue with them not being able to get somewhere in time would go away, Money is a great motivator!!!

pseelk 06-27-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishBrain (Post 991185)
Funny how most of the people who complain about the fish cops are the ones causing the problems. Other than the "fish cops cant get there in time."

Would be funny to start tipping them, I bet if they got tipped once in a while the issue with them not being able to get somewhere in time would go away, Money is a great motivator!!!

For some it might also be a great motivator to not write a ticket if that was the case.might be better left the way it is jmo.

FishBrain 06-27-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pseelk (Post 991460)
For some it might also be a great motivator to not write a ticket if that was the case.might be better left the way it is jmo.

Good point!!!!