Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Giant Mule Deer: missing need help! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=332770)

Jeffbridge 11-04-2017 02:06 PM

Giant Mule Deer: missing need help!

2 Attachment(s)
Looking for information from anyone who has heard or seen anything about this deer. (Taxidermists?) I shot him on Sept 2nd. But it took me a week to find him. (Almost no blood and waste high grass/brush). When I did find him with my arrow still in the body cavity, someone had already sawed the head off. Please help, I'd just like to see him up close and in person. Surely someone on here has heard something about a deer of this caliber.

wildwoods 11-04-2017 02:08 PM

What a slob. Hope you get him back!

J.B. 11-04-2017 03:08 PM

Rotten situation Jeff! Hope this pans out for you!

nube 11-04-2017 05:19 PM

Think there was a post on Alberta hunting addicts a while ago about a big deer like this that was found with arrow still in. They were looking to find the owner

Zuludog 11-04-2017 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3659936)
Think there was a post on Alberta hunting addicts a while ago about a big deer like this that was found with arrow still in. They were looking to find the owner

X2 I think there's a post by Mike Wasylyniuk about finding a deer with an arrow in it. Hope this helps. :)

boah 11-04-2017 06:30 PM

If the guy went through the proper process for found dead wildlife, he has just as much, or more right to it than the shooter. If he’s trying to find the shooter to give it to him, he’s a pretty good guy.

Zuludog 11-04-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boah (Post 3659976)
If the guy went through the proper process for found dead wildlife, he has just as much, or more right to it than the shooter. If he’s trying to find the shooter to give it to him, he’s a pretty good guy.

I could be wrong but sounds like the shooter just wants to see the deer (rack) first hand.

Wolftrapper 11-04-2017 07:42 PM

Beautiful animal.
Good luck with your search. I hope you find it and get to see it.

covey ridge 11-04-2017 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwoods (Post 3659823)
What a slob. Hope you get him back!

If someone found the deer before the week it took the OP to find it, the finder may have a right to keep it. I hope the OP at least gets to see the trophy he tried for.

dshaw 11-04-2017 08:16 PM

lots of guys were after this buck after these photos hit the internet. I hope you get to see him up close. I haven't heard of anybody finding him that I know. good luck with the search.

LKILR 11-04-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covey ridge (Post 3660044)
If someone found the deer before the week it took the OP to find it, the finder may have a right to keep it. I hope the OP at least gets to see the trophy he tried for.

Found dead wildlife permits are not issued to game that has been obviously wounded by a hunter. So if someone found it with an arrow and attempted to get a permit and reported it as killed by a hunter then no permit would be issued.

srs123 11-04-2017 09:01 PM

Where was the arrow?

Jeffbridge 11-04-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srs123 (Post 3660100)
Where was the arrow?

The arrow entered near the right flank, angled steeply forward into the body cavity. It got about 17" of penetration and broke off. The arrow was still laying in the body cavity of the headless deer when I finally found him.

Dewey Cox 11-04-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKILR (Post 3660077)
Found dead wildlife permits are not issued to game that has been obviously wounded by a hunter. So if someone found it with an arrow and attempted to get a permit and reported it as killed by a hunter then no permit would be issued.

So, if you find a deer with an arrow in it, apply for a found dead permit, and get denied, what happens to the deer then?
Do fish and game take it, or is it left to rot?

wildwoods 11-04-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covey ridge (Post 3660044)

Honestly, who cares about rights in this case. Morally, if I found that deer dead with an arrow wound and slapped a found dead permit on it, I wouldn't refuse it back to the original shooter (should he come by seeking it). I couldn't care less about finding previously dead trophies.
I would hope that if I were the poor soul who lost it, someone would do the right thing and see that it was hanging safe and sound in my man cave.
Wouldn't you?

Lefty-Canuck 11-04-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwoods (Post 3660153)
Honestly, who cares about rights in this case. Morally, if I found that deer dead with an arrow wound and slapped a found dead permit on it, I wouldn't refuse it back to the original shooter (should he come by seeking it). I couldn't care less about finding previously dead trophies.
I would hope that if I were the poor soul who lost it, someone would do the right thing and see that it was hanging safe and sound in my man cave.
Wouldn't you?

Agree.

I lost a deer about 6 years ago tracked it over a day and a half. Some other hunters picked me up on the road when I lost the last blood and told me they would call me if they found it. Two days later I get a call, they collected what they could of the deer and had me meet them at their camp. They did a great thing, it was no slouch of a deer.

LC

Lefty-Canuck 11-04-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKILR (Post 3660077)

Umm yes they are. One of the biggest bulls found dead on the base was recovered by a found dead permit...several hunters claimed they were the ones who hit it...the finder was the keeper.

LC

boah 11-04-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't you?

If it was me who shot the deer, I wouldn’t feel right claiming it from anyone. The hunt doesn’t end when you shoot something. It ends when you harvest it.

Bub 11-04-2017 10:51 PM

Lol. Obviously wildwoods is 100% correct ethics wise. Why would one want to keep the head of the deer they refused to give back to the hunter who shot it?

- nice rack! Is there a story to tell?
- nice, isn’t it? Yeah, I found it on a deer shot by someone else. Then I saw a guy looking for it but I figured I would just keep it.
- oh.

Lol.

Hope you find it, op.

Bub 11-04-2017 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boah (Post 3660169)
If it was me who shot the deer, I wouldn’t feel right claiming it from anyone. The hunt doesn’t end when you shoot something. It ends when you harvest it.

I wouldn’t attempt to claim it. But if I was the one who found it, I would feel weird keeping it knowing that there is a guy looking for it.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

covey ridge 11-04-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't you?

I would have no problem letting the OP have the trophy back, but until that time, I would hope that the person who took the trophy made an attempt to find the shooter. I hope that the shooter is reunited with his prize.

But I actually feel more saddened for the loss of meat.

Bub 11-04-2017 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covey ridge (Post 3660186)

Wanted to say that, but I let it go. I would to think that the op feels the same.

boah 11-04-2017 11:22 PM

Quote:

I would have no problem letting the OP have the trophy back, but until that time, I would hope that the person who took the trophy made an attempt to find the shooter. I hope that the shooter is reunited with his prize.

This is where I disagree. It is not his prize if he didn’t recover it. If he got a few buddies together to go recover it, then yes. A total stranger happens upon it after it is no longer salvageable...........

nube 11-04-2017 11:27 PM

Sorry but If I found it then tough luck it's mine if I wanted to keep it. Nothing wrong with a nice cleaned up dead head in a trophy room.

cdales 11-04-2017 11:41 PM

If I found it I'd consider reaching out to find the hunter if it was a regular joe out there flinging arrows around I would probably keep it but after hearing this story the blood, sweat, tears, sore muscles and sunburnt/chapped lips I think I would invite Jeff over for a bunch of beer to personally hand over the antlers to him, and listen to the full sorry of the history with the animal.. just what I would do to be honest. Wouldn't feel right having the trophy in my room when there is a guy out there that gave it his all.

Bassett 11-04-2017 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdales (Post 3660206)
If I found it I'd consider reaching out to find the hunter if it was a regular joe out there flinging arrows around I would probably keep it but after hearing this story the blood, sweat, tears, sore muscles and sunburnt/chapped lips I think I would invite Jeff over for a bunch of beer to personally hand over the antlers to him, and listen to the full sorry of the history with the animal.. just what I would do to be honest. Wouldn't feel right having the trophy in my room when there is a guy out there that gave it his all.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitetail Junkie 11-05-2017 06:15 AM

Quote:

34+ degrees Celsius outside at the beginning of September down south this year....Some guys out hunting in that ain't that too concerned about the meat.

3blade 11-05-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie (Post 3660266)
34+ degrees Celsius outside at the beginning of September down south this year....Some guys out hunting in that ain't that too concerned about the meat.

^ full of crap.

It was 30 across the province all the way up to 510 in the first week of sept, and it usually is more years than not. I know this because I hunt it, every single year. Amazingly, we have these newfangled things called coolers and refrigerators and don't rely on hanging a deer in the garage or shed. I know it must be hard to beilieve for an expert such as yourself, but no meat is wasted. So take your anti hunting bs and stuff it right back where it came from.

rcmc 11-05-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3blade (Post 3660281)
^ full of crap.

It was 30 across the province all the way up to 510 in the first week of sept, and it usually is more years than not. I know this because i hunt it, every single year. Amazingly, we have these newfangled things called coolers and refrigerators and don't rely on hanging a deer in the garage or shed. I know it must be hard to beilieve for an expert such as yourself, but no meat is wasted. So take your anti hunting bs and stuff it right back where it came from.

WatermelonBoy 11-05-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3blade (Post 3660281)
^ full of crap.

It was 30 across the province all the way up to 510 in the first week of sept, and it usually is more years than not. I know this because I hunt it, every single year. Amazingly, we have these newfangled things called coolers and refrigerators and don't rely on hanging a deer in the garage or shed. I know it must be hard to beilieve for an expert such as yourself, but no meat is wasted. So take your anti hunting bs and stuff it right back where it came from.

X2

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk