Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hospital Hotspots? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=173305)

omega50 03-31-2013 10:44 AM

Hospital Hotspots?

My mother-in-law heading back to the Foothills Hospital for heart surgery on Tuesday.
Got me thinking I would like to bring a tablet so she could Skype with relatives in Hungary.

Does anyone know if I can access a wireless network there in a patient room?

Clgy_Dave2.0 03-31-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega50 (Post 1910765)
My mother-in-law heading back to the Foothills Hospital for heart surgery on Tuesday.
Got me thinking I would like to bring a tablet so she could Skype with relatives in Hungary.

Does anyone know if I can access a wireless network there in a patient room?

I can't find any official source, but I've heard from friends that Foothills does have a wifi you can hook into.
If not, you could always use a smart phone and tether into that with the tablet. Just have to watch your data use and make sure you've got a good plan on your phone.

lbj88 03-31-2013 01:45 PM

Yes there is wifi there. The nurses will have the password.

roger 03-31-2013 01:49 PM

There are rules about using recording devices during actual delivery of babies, there maybe other rules in potentially sensitive areas in the facility. Might want to check nursing mgmt or even the onsite security dept beforehand. Recording someone in the hospital cafeteria with a new baby is alittle different than someone in intensive care with machines and lines everywhere.

Kanonfodder 03-31-2013 01:51 PM

Get her a tablet with built in 3G technology

TrollGRG 03-31-2013 02:38 PM

I don't know if it is still true but a few years ago you weren't allowed to use a cell phone in certain parts of the hospital for fear of the radio waves interfering with heart monitors/pacemakers.

omega50 03-31-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanonfodder (Post 1910950)
Get her a tablet with built in 3G technology

But What if she doesn't survive the surgery!!!!!!!!:)

Kanonfodder 03-31-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega50 (Post 1911009)
But What if she doesn't survive the surgery!!!!!!!!:)

Lol then you get a tablet I guess :scared0018:

roger 03-31-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrollGRG (Post 1910997)
I don't know if it is still true but a few years ago you weren't allowed to use a cell phone in certain parts of the hospital for fear of the radio waves interfering with heart monitors/pacemakers.

Its now no big deal. At the time it was refering to those monster XJ suitcase phones and the early model 5watt bag phones.
Now with the recording abilities of devices, the photo evidence could lead to be used against in a litigation contest, there is also the potential of interuption to the recovery, like having a stress related issue then conducting business from bed.
There are thousands of bylaws in healthcare.