Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tikka Single Shot Loading issues (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=325768)

PeterLester 07-19-2017 11:41 AM

Tikka Single Shot Loading issues

Just curious..... I have heard a limitation on the most excellent Tikka rifles is the single shot loading capability..... otherwise an exceptional series of rifles.

Anyone know of solutions for this issue?

Husty 07-19-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterLester (Post 3586592)
Just curious..... I have heard a limitation on the most excellent Tikka rifles is the single shot loading capability..... otherwise an exceptional series of rifles.

Anyone know of solutions for this issue?

Get a T3x as they opened up the action a bit or get a 5 round mag if you have a 3 round mag. Miss less (if hunting). Honestly I have 2 T3s and they are not hard to single load, never really understood this complaint about them. Maybe hard to single load if its cold out and you're wearing gloves.

PeterLester 07-19-2017 12:05 PM

Tikka magazines

Thx 4 the feedback....... have you heard of the following?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...equestSource=b

dave99 07-19-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterLester (Post 3586612)
Thx 4 the feedback....... have you heard of the following?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...equestSource=b

Interesting video and gadget. Funny though, my T3 in 30.06 can single load with the magazine in without any difficulty feeding. I just pop the round into the opening, close the bolt on it, and am good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterLester 07-19-2017 12:38 PM

Longer bullets won't load from magazine

Apparently the BobSled solves one other issue.....
longer bullets won't fit into the magazines nor load....

But what about the situation for your caliber....?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 3586624)
Interesting video and gadget. Funny though, my T3 in 30.06 can single load with the magazine in without any difficulty feeding. I just pop the round into the opening, close the bolt on it, and am good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

averagejoe 07-19-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterLester (Post 3586633)
Apparently the BobSled solves one other issue.....
longer bullets won't fit into the magazines nor load....

But what about the situation for your caliber....?

If you have a short action cartridge you can modify the bolt stop and the magazine or just buy a long action magazine to load the longer cartridges.

If you are at the range and want to single load without buying anything just flip up the follower like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wguTqj3XsNA

Kevlak 07-19-2017 05:56 PM

I have 2 tikkas, one in 308 and the other in 6.5x55. While hunting I load the mags up, but while target shooting one at a time, I've never had any real issues single feeding them. I actually find it easier than my savages and Remingtons, maybe that's just me, maybe cause on the tikkas I put it in more to the side and it cradles the round, where the others they kinda go on top and the scope gets in the way. Thats my 2 cents.

Kevin

marxman 07-19-2017 06:11 PM

To single load you put a round in the port on top of the magazine and close the bolt, its as easy as any other gun , i havent used the new tikka with the bigger ejection port and i dont know why they made it or why anyone complained about the original one

Dick284 07-19-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxman (Post 3586794)
To single load you put a round in the port on top of the magazine and close the bolt, its as easy as any other gun , i havent used the new tikka with the bigger ejection port and i dont know why they made it or why anyone complained about the original one

^X2

Unless you are challenged in the dexterity department, or trying it in mittens, it's not much harder than a 700/70 etc. with a one piece base or a multi slot base.

6.5 shooter 07-20-2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxman (Post 3586794)

X3

Smokinyotes 07-20-2017 11:10 PM

My 6.5-284 was built on a tikka t3 action. If i try to single load 140berger vld's seated to 3.105" the tip of the bullet tips down and hits the end of the barrel and will not chamber. I put a yodave single shot follower in the mag. It works great.

260 Rem 07-21-2017 08:45 AM

I had a couple of T3's about ten years ago and both required "fiddling" to top load.

teledogs 07-21-2017 09:26 AM

We have 3 Tikkas T3's (223, 7-08, 308) in our family and have had NO issues top loading single shots.

As Marxman said...

Full Curl Earl 07-21-2017 03:00 PM

Long port

The longer port was needed for Magnum cartridges to be able to seat bullets out farther. For instance. .300 win Mag cartridges need to be seated about .200 off lands or you can't eject an unfired cartridge without removing the bolt. That coupled with the short magazine lengths make older good shooting Tikka T3's a limited tool for playing with different bullet designs.

gitrdun 07-21-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl (Post 3588111)
The longer port was needed for Magnum cartridges to be able to seat bullets out farther. For instance. .300 win Mag cartridges need to be seated about .200 off lands or you can't eject an unfired cartridge without removing the bolt. That coupled with the short magazine lengths make older good shooting Tikka T3's a limited tool for playing with different bullet designs.

Thus why I've always prefered the old M695, M65's. :)

PeterLester 08-10-2017 10:02 AM

Tikka T3 T3X Single Shot loader

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl (Post 3588111)

I use a small yellow Delrin device called a Bob Sled Insert all the time in my Tikka T3 223.....Single shot loading is very frustrating without this device. And it also makes it easy to single load bullets that are too long for the magazine.

PeterLester 08-10-2017 10:11 AM

YoDave Single Shot follower?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokinyotes (Post 3587707)
My 6.5-284 was built on a tikka t3 action. If i try to single load 140berger vld's seated to 3.105" the tip of the bullet tips down and hits the end of the barrel and will not chamber. I put a yodave single shot follower in the mag. It works great.

Never heard of "yodave" and can't seem to find it on the internet. Here is what I did find though. Buying from USA really drives up the price though.... after the customs excise/duty and parcel "extortion" fees...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tikka-T3-T3X-...0AAOSwBw1ZcDur

marxman 08-10-2017 04:13 PM

You cant top load the magazine its a single stack you have to remove it the op. Is talking about single loading through the port