Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First Time Beaver Under Ice (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=280394)

KegRiver 03-30-2016 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill9044 (Post 3187471)
I use a 1/8 cable as well. I have them wrapped up in my box with quick clips ( snapping caribeaners) on either ends. Then around a tree or stump. Even a rebar steak. Then attach the other end to the trap spring and your trap goes nowhere. I have some long cables to reach from the shore line abut 30yards so I can hook to a tree. Nothing worse than loosing a 40$ trap over a 4$ beaver.

That sounds like a great idea. One thing I never solved, never really worked on solving was my cables get a bit tangled at times.
Your way would solve that for sure, and make replacement should they get too badly kinked, really easy.

I like your way a lot.

bill9044 03-30-2016 07:22 AM

Well I just tie them off the same as you but I use a quick clip instead of trying to loop the cable around a tree and pulling it all the way through. I use the same quick clip on my yote snares. Only issue is the cost. About $3.50 in the store approx. My bro works at a large shop and they get a huge discount through some suppliers. I have over 200 of the quick clips some are rated for 280lbs and 340lbs approx.
I like them cause I am a lot faster.

The Spruce 03-30-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill9044 (Post 3187606)
Well I just tie them off the same as you but I use a quick clip instead of trying to loop the cable around a tree and pulling it all the way through. I use the same quick clip on my yote snares. Only issue is the cost. About $3.50 in the store approx. My bro works at a large shop and they get a huge discount through some suppliers. I have over 200 of the quick clips some are rated for 280lbs and 340lbs approx.
I like them cause I am a lot faster.

I use the clasps from backpacking, forget what they are called. about $1.25/pc at home depot. They are slick, don't freeze, aluminium, very fast to use, and would hold me, so not worried about a fur animal.

Spruce

HunterDave 03-30-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spruce (Post 3187934)
I use the clasps from backpacking, forget what they are called. about $1.25/pc at home depot. They are slick, don't freeze, aluminium, very fast to use, and would hold me, so not worried about a fur animal.

Spruce

Carabiner?

The Spruce 03-30-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3187974)
Carabiner?

Yah that's it, minus the safety the actual climbing ones have, and a lot smaller. None left on southside, they are all in my shed:)

Spruce

bill9044 03-31-2016 10:50 AM

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...psz1d4eylk.jpg
I use these on all my snare ext or anything I need to tie off. I have them so I can clip them onto my snaresteaks

The Spruce 03-31-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill9044 (Post 3189002)
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...psz1d4eylk.jpg
I use these on all my snare ext or anything I need to tie off. I have them so I can clip them onto my snaresteaks

Same thing, but a little smaller and aluminium, so no rust...they always work.
I also have steel ones that I use on Fisher/Marten sets, but phasing them out also with the no rust aluminium.

Spruce

HunterDave 04-07-2016 09:07 PM

I figured that I'd provide an update about this one location. I'm not sure who commented that I ought to be able to catch about 12 beaver out of this spot but I think that he was darned close. I caught my seventh today and they have all been large or bigger.....no kits yet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3143120)
This is my first location that is very similar to the one in Ryan's video except the lodge is about 50' back in the reeds. There are two clearly identified runs coming from the lodge to the feedpile. The landowner wants the "two beavers" out......I'm thinking that there's more than just two!

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...psadtzugws.jpg

[URL=http://s743.photobucket.com/user/lifetimepassion/media/008_zpsadtzugws.jpg.html]

parfleche 04-08-2016 08:51 PM

depending on the depth of the water that appears like it could hold 6 to ten beaver , likely third year in there . male and female, two year olds and a new set of pups from last year. The shallower the pond the wider the feed bed.
But there is always the hidden factor!

Tfng 09-10-2016 01:11 PM

Bump. Too bad Parfleche is gone, he had some good advice.

nube 09-10-2016 06:40 PM

What he do to get banned?

Tfng 09-10-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3325797)
What he do to get banned?

I don't know? Someone will know. He's been gone quite a while.

HunterDave 11-02-2016 03:27 PM

This was such an interesting thread filled with information. I just got back from Halford's where they just got #330 Deep Water Stabilizers 48" long in stock if anyone is interested. They cost $12.95 each if you buy a dozen or more. Fancier than the H frames that I made from dead branches. Thanks for the idea TFNG!

Ssteward 12-21-2019 10:08 PM

Very interesting thread, a lot of good information. I was out setting beaver traps today and thought has anyone ever used there underwater fish camera around a beaver house to find runs or lodge entrances?

HunterDave 12-21-2019 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ssteward (Post 4078568)
Very interesting thread, a lot of good information. I was out setting beaver traps today and thought has anyone ever used there underwater fish camera around a beaver house to find runs or lodge entrances?

This thread was epic! Too bad that a lot of the pictures have disappeared.

A little late now but before the water freezes over put a stick in the lodge with flagging where the entrance is. If it does freeze over you can see the runs from the air bubbles in the ice. If I go to a lodge that I don’t know where the entrance is I find it by sticking the tip of my chainsaw through the ice to find where the ice is thinner than either side of the run. Once you find it and cut a hole you can see the channel on the underside of the blocks of ice. Once you find the run you put a 330 or two side by side down there on a stabilizer. That might work better for you than drilling/cutting holes everywhere to find the entrance.

Saskfly16 12-23-2019 03:34 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fb2d64c21a.jpg

12+ inches of ice everywhere else but around one side of the feed bed and the entrance. It was truly scary how thin the ice was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ssteward 12-30-2019 06:41 PM

Did my fourth check today on 6 beaver houses I have traps and snares set at. Been very successful with the 330’s in the runs but not so with my snare poles. I watched 5911 Ryan’s video on beaver snaring and am following his setup but just can’t seem to produce. I’ve got 2 beavers in snares out of 5 sets in 4 checks. Is it to early for snares? Are snares more effective later in the season when the feed bed gets eaten and starts to go bad? Just wondering if I should just focus on setting more 330’s, thanks in advance!

HunterDave 12-31-2019 12:10 AM

Although snares work I’ve Found that setting 330’s on H frames in the runs are much more productive. The beaver have to come out of the lodge but they don’t necessarily have to choose the green poplar at the snares. Unless i’m Showing someone the snare setup I trap exclusively with 330’s in the runs. Snaring is a good skill to learn and fun to do but if you are trying to put up numbers i’d Stick with 330’s in the runs.

How big are the castors on the ones that you’re catching?

Ssteward 12-31-2019 09:41 AM

In the 40-50lb beavers I’m catching the castors are about the size of a plum.

HunterDave 12-09-2020 12:45 PM

Tfng 12-12-2020 06:42 PM

My son and I set half a dozen traps on a condo sized house this afternoon. There’s lots of runs to cover, I should have brought more traps.

All set in runs using metal trap stands.