Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guy on a buffalo returns to a park near you (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=349510)

bat119 08-14-2018 04:40 PM

Guy on a buffalo returns to a park near you

Rick Guinn starred in low-budget, little-known film about cowboy who wrestles a cougar
A rancher in Kananaskis Country is enjoying his new-found fame as viral videos of him riding a buffalo and fighting a cougar are being used by Alberta's tourism marketing agency.
The first I saw the Guy on a buffalo short films I rolled laughing the song that stuck my head then returned when I saw this article

The cougar scene was a little more real than it looked

When the crew was getting slow motion shots of a cougar for a different production, the cougar escaped, Guinn said. The cat sneaked out of the woods to leap onto his back and bite his neck.
"I had to kind of fight him off," Guinn said. "It was kind of a life-or-death situation, kind of had to do something real quick."
Luckily, the camera was still rolling.
"We had lots of shots like that that were built into the movie that were accidents. Just changed the script up a little bit and continued on," he said.

Always good for a laugh

Part two is in the article
a link to part one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4T9CQA0UM

creeky 08-14-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat119 (Post 3826474)
Rick Guinn starred in low-budget, little-known film about cowboy who wrestles a cougar
A rancher in Kananaskis Country is enjoying his new-found fame as viral videos of him riding a buffalo and fighting a cougar are being used by Alberta's tourism marketing agency.
The first I saw the Guy on a buffalo short films I rolled laughing the song that stuck my head then returned when I saw this article

The cougar scene was a little more real than it looked

When the crew was getting slow motion shots of a cougar for a different production, the cougar escaped, Guinn said. The cat sneaked out of the woods to leap onto his back and bite his neck.
"I had to kind of fight him off," Guinn said. "It was kind of a life-or-death situation, kind of had to do something real quick."
Luckily, the camera was still rolling.
"We had lots of shots like that that were built into the movie that were accidents. Just changed the script up a little bit and continued on," he said.

Always good for a laugh

Part two is in the article
a link to part one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4T9CQA0UM

you have a link to the article?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bat119 08-14-2018 05:12 PM

whoops!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...erta-1.4784585

creeky 08-14-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat119 (Post 3826485)

thanks Bat

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

buckbrush 08-14-2018 07:56 PM

I first watched this in a doghouse on a rig. Thought it was great.
A few weeks later my sister sent me the link saying it was my uncle Rick!
I had no idea, although we did have some old polaroids at one time of rick on a buffalo.

One of the best days of my life was realizing I'm related to 'guy on a buffalo'....Pretty much makes me famous.

CaberTosser 08-14-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrush (Post 3826561)
I first watched this in a doghouse on a rig. Thought it was great.
A few weeks later my sister sent me the link saying it was my uncle Rick!
I had no idea, although we did have some old polaroids at one time of rick on a buffalo.

One of the best days of my life was realizing I'm related to 'guy on a buffalo'....Pretty much makes me famous.

While I imagine you were a well mannered kid anyways, I would expect that if you had seen that footage when you were young it would have inspired a whole lot of "Yes Sir, Uncle Rick" & "No Sir, Uncle Rick"

Kids at school wouldn't believe you and teachers would send you to the office for lying about Uncle Rick fighting cougars and riding buffalo :)

nimrod 08-14-2018 08:40 PM

I met Rick a few years ago, boy he sure aged, from our last meet

wolf308 08-14-2018 08:50 PM

Ha.

Seen the 1st one long ago.

2nd was new to me. Bahahaha. Wow. All animals hurt during the making of this , lol.

marlin1 08-14-2018 09:55 PM

I always liked these

Red Bullets 08-14-2018 10:31 PM

Here's part 3 and 4 too. Must have been fun doing the bar scene in 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L55dKrjxcCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXtpNm_a4Us

Okotok 08-15-2018 09:19 AM

Thanks for sharing. These are great!

Albertadiver 08-15-2018 09:29 AM

Love it.

Also really neat to hear that Rick Guinn was the guy! I've got a book on the history of K country, and Alvin Guinn was quite the character. Wish I would have had an opportunity to meet him.

Albertadiver 08-15-2018 05:50 PM

An interview with Rick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSaiDsjXBHU

Don_Parsons 08-15-2018 06:16 PM

Ha, now that is to funny.

I wounder who on the forum might be related to the Buffalo.

I can see that it would be one tough season working with a critter that has a mind of its own. LOL

I can hear the producer yelling cut cut cut as the Mayhem continues with no control what so ever.

I bet there were a few wrecks on those movie sights. Ha

ReconWilly 08-15-2018 07:20 PM

How have i never seen this?!

Thanks for sharing this magnificent series!

Don_Parsons 08-16-2018 08:27 AM

Oh my God

I guess I'll have to buy a buffalo and take up singing.

Ha

Nothing like chasing Grizzly Bears around in the West country on a steam roller that just won't stop.

Look out Bear, here him comes again. LOL

Stinky Buffalo 08-16-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReconWilly (Post 3827090)
How have i never seen this?!

Thanks for sharing this magnificent series!

Yup, pretty cool movie! I'm still in awe over how he manages to ride that beast.

CaberTosser 08-16-2018 09:34 AM

I was on the YouTube channel for the musicians that did the viral rewrite song and some comments were hysterical. I especially liked one noting how he should team up with other ‘super hero’s’ who ride unconventional steeds. I immediately thought of someone on a giant bull moose, the elk rider would need serious eye protection and the grizz rider would have to bathe in that bitrex stuff that’s added to household chemicals, just to be careful ;)

buckbrush 08-16-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3827320)
I was on the YouTube channel for the musicians that did the viral rewrite song and some comments were hysterical. I especially liked one noting how he should team up with other ‘super hero’s’ who ride unconventional steeds. I immediately thought of someone on a giant bull moose, the elk rider would need serious eye protection and the grizz rider would have to bathe in that bitrex stuff that’s added to household chemicals, just to be careful ;)

That would be great! Imagine the places you could go on a mountain goat.

Years ago I was visiting a girl who was working on a Ranch by Banff. Some of the wranglers she was bunking with told me that they had roped a big horn sheep in the park and one went for a ride. When they went to pick up the developed pictures a CO was waiting for them... Not sure if the story was true and I would never condone harassing wild animals but that would have been a sight to see.

bat119 08-16-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Parsons (Post 3827288)
I guess I'll have to buy a buffalo and take up singing.

You can't just buy a buffalo you have to sneak up, jump on grab a handful of hair and hang on till he stops bucking then saddle him. I heard there's a couple strays around Banff..... good luck!

Don_Parsons 08-16-2018 07:07 PM

Oh My God

Now I can't shake the Guy on a Buffalo tune from my head,,, I hope this dosen't mess up the 2019 hunting season. Ha

buckbrush 08-16-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Parsons (Post 3827611)
Oh My God

Now I can't shake the Guy on a Buffalo tune from my head,,, I hope this dosen't mess up the 2019 hunting season. Ha

That song sticks in my head for days. Just a side note, if its stuck in yer head don't sing it out loud in bed...:fighting0030:

YYC338 08-16-2018 09:24 PM

He had the band out at Boundary Ranch this past June for a charity event. Rick was riding the buffalo and the band was playing the tune.

Red Bullets 08-16-2018 09:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3827320)

Riding moose and elk has been done in the past. Riding a bull elk would be a neat way to get into the herd during hunting season.