Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Problem solved: Thanks Cat and Oldgutpile (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=168216)

graybeard 02-17-2013 08:55 AM

Problem solved: Thanks Cat and Oldgutpile

Good morning everyone:
I recently picked up a 1960's vintage; Browning Auto-5, from an old friend. I want to refinish the wood.
I have been on the Steve's Pages and there is not enough information as well viewed several You Tube videos.....no luck yet!

Questions:
1/ how do I remove the stock (the fore end was a cinch)? There is no long screw inside, like the 870. There are however, several screws that appear to enter the stock from just behind the trigger tang; and one through the receiver.

2/ the screws have such a narrow slot in them that a conventional screw driver will not fit nor will the ones I have with my Wheeler torque set.
Where do I find the proper screw drivers to do the job properly?

Thanks for your time.

catnthehat 02-17-2013 10:18 AM

There should be a through bolt in the stock, and also a smaller tang screw .
My Chapman set has bits thin enough , I'm surprised that the Wheeler does not!:confused:
Cat

graybeard 02-17-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 1852440)
There should be a through bolt in the stock, and also a smaller tang screw .
My Chapman set has bits thin enough , I'm surprised that the Wheeler does not!:confused:
Cat

Thanks Cat;
No long through bolt and my Wheeler set is not of the full armorer set; just a couple of sizes to get by in mounting scopes and the proper tightening of shotgun/rifle screws.

I have a friend with the full set and I will be contacting him.

Thanks for your time

catnthehat 02-17-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graybeard (Post 1852489)
Thanks Cat;
No long through bolt and my Wheeler set is not of the full armorer set; just a couple of sizes to get by in mounting scopes and the proper tightening of shotgun/rifle screws.

I have a friend with the full set and I will be contacting him.

Thanks for your time

You can probably grind down a fixed blade screw driver to fit it, it's pretty small, yes!
I think I may even have a Mastercraft that works as well!
IIRC the last one I did had no through bolt either, but I have done some that did for some reason, it may be a different series or year.
Cat

oldgutpile 02-17-2013 11:40 AM

screwdrivers

Pretty common to have those extremely fine/flat screw heads to deal with. I ended up just buying some good quality screwdrivers and grinding/honing them to size. If you are doing this, make sure that its not just about the blade thickness, but overall length as well. It's a cheap investment to make a blade that fits properly, v.s. wrecking the screw head, or heaven forbid.....slipping out of the screw head and gouging the wood!