Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bowhunter Challenge Class introduction (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=252062)

Lefty-Canuck 04-17-2015 09:32 PM

Bowhunter Challenge Class introduction

Folks asked for it and showed interest and now it's time to show support by participating in a revamped "Hunter" class.

What we are calling the "Bowhunter Challenge Class" will hopefully be coming to a shoot near you soon.

The basis is that we created a class to invite hunters of all kinds and ages with varied experince to come out and have some fun. There will be something for everyone whether you like to compete or you just want to practice or you are fresh to the 3d scene and want to get your feet wet.

The ABA has developed the class with a twist, meaning most HUNTING bow setups will meet the equipment requirements. Whether you have a fixed pin sight, a single pin adjustable, or a hybrid as long as a lens is not encorporated in the sight it will be allowed.

Also most hunting type stabilizer setups will be allowed as long as your front, v-bar, or offset bar fits within a 12 inch "sphere" from the FRONT of your bow riser it will fit the requirements. Packages are being sent out to ABA affiliated archery clubs to submit proposals for the final shoot.

BUT we ask that if the clubs want to inject this class in their local shoots please contact the ABA 3d Committee for assistance/guidance in adding the class.

The scoring will also be different and based more on a hunting scenario...points for a fatal hit, deductions for a wound, and no harm no foul for a miss or a passed shot.

More will be coming and clarification will be provided. The ABA 3d committee and other folks who have offered suggestions have bounced around ideas and worked hard to make this a reality...the "Hunter" class is not dead but reborn. Again we need the support of shooters new and old to make this work. It's a new thing, so feedback is valued!

There will be divisions based on gender, age, and even a traditional offering! binos will be allowed but no range finders, the distance max will be 40 yards and scaled according for traditional and younger shooters.

LC

Bard 04-17-2015 10:11 PM

Cool. I like the sounds of this...

Lefty-Canuck 04-17-2015 10:14 PM

Glad to hear!

The class is actually called "Bowhunter Challenge". I made a typo :)

LC

super7mag 04-18-2015 07:49 AM

Sounds good Lefty .. Even I could get in on a challenged bowhunter shoot!! Lol.

Lefty-Canuck 04-18-2015 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super7mag (Post 2804329)
Sounds good Lefty .. Even I could get in on a challenged bowhunter shoot!! Lol.

We are all challenged at some point! The real thing we need for this to be successful is participation. Some people were bummed out the Hunter class was diminished...so a few of us at the ABA felt it would be good to make a class that hopefully appeals to many. The goal is to be more inclusive than exclusive thus the varied equipment allowed. If you look at the history and how 3d archery got started....it was started by Bowhunters....and it has slowly morphed into more of a target base, which there is nothing wrong with that....but the Bowhunters need a place to have fun and compete too without being looked down upon.

Hunting bows have changed quite a bit and many are using single pin and hybrid sights and different stabilizer systems, for example 10&8 and 8&6 style offset v-bars so we felt that needed to have a place.....and this is that place.

Other people with different equipment that fall outside the equipment specs are welcome to come out and shoot too....they just won't be eligible for prizes based on standings.

LC

Mike_W 04-18-2015 08:13 AM

Right on sounds good buddy!! Whens the first shoot?

Lefty-Canuck 04-18-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_W (Post 2804347)

That will be up to the clubs province wide that want to insert the Bowhunter Challenge Class into their shoots.

LC

Lefty-Canuck 04-18-2015 08:25 AM

double tap :)

LC

RayM77 04-18-2015 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_W (Post 2804347)

Grande Prairies is August 8th and 9th. They have been doing this for years and years. It will be nice to see some other clubs pick up this format. It is definatly a perfect fit for ABA sanctioned shoots.

Lefty-Canuck 04-18-2015 09:16 AM

For those with fixed pins for this class there is no size or amount limit. Arrows must have an insert or outsert that will accept commercially available broadheads, no glue in tips.

LC

L.O.S.T.Arrow 04-18-2015 10:30 AM

:D I am excited about this...this is a shoot where all bowhunter regardless if their years shooting or even skills shooting can come and enjoy a bowhunting experience and scenio without feeling the heavy competition pressure...regardless of your equipment...shoot with exactly what you hunt with...

In a bowhunting...not competition setting...
There's no class this... class that...just a bowhunting gang ...becoming better bowhunters...
If your a newer bowhunter...you can learn a lot from the bowhunting shoot and/or the veteran shooters that will shoot beside you ...not as a competitive Robin Hood..rather as a bowhunting buddy...

There will be awesome prizes...as this shoot gains more popular and gets bigger so will the prizes as the bowhunting industry will take notice...
For example L.O.S.T. Arrow Archery will pledge a top of the line trail cam...and you don't have to be a top shooter to win rewards ...besides the reward of the experience an average or new bowhunter could win that trail cam for shooting with the ugliest bow with the least wound shots...lol
The biggest reward will be the fun with no pressure...enjoying the experience with fellow bowhunters...

I'm pumped to see this and thank ABA for this opportunity. ..

Neil

petew 04-18-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2804402)
For those with fixed pins for this class there is no size or amount limit. Arrows must have an insert or outsert that will accept commercially available broadheads, no glue in tips.

LC

Wood arrows and points???

Alberta Bigbore 04-18-2015 10:37 AM

Ill have to admit.. i only want to shoot 3D for the fun of it.. having to shoot same size pins and all the extra jazz sort of takes fun out of it. Lol

How long till this goes down?

L.O.S.T.Arrow 04-18-2015 10:44 AM

:D I believe that tradionial shooters will be exempt from certain standards if that's what they are hunting with..ex: glue on field points/wood arrows as with glue on broadheads...standards and rules to be determined by the traditional shooting associations...
Neil

Lefty-Canuck 04-18-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petew (Post 2804494)
Wood arrows and points???

Yessir, for the trad guys. The trad equipment rules are going to be setup by ATBA I believe.

LC

illustrated1 04-18-2015 01:30 PM

This is very exciting!!

KyleSS 04-18-2015 08:27 PM

When is the first shoot? Wife and I are in for sure. This sounds amazing

Lefty-Canuck 04-18-2015 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSS (Post 2804981)
When is the first shoot? Wife and I are in for sure. This sounds amazing

Will keep folks posted. Encourage your local clubs to add the class to their shoot and to contact the ABA 3d committee for information.

Glad to see the enthusiasm, hopefully we see a surge in new/old shooters!

LC

diamond k 04-18-2015 09:18 PM

I am excited to give it shot. I bought a new quiver at Jmbows today so looking forward to my 3D initiation this year.

Lefty was that you getting some bow tune up at Jimbows today?

Lefty-Canuck 04-18-2015 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamond k (Post 2805030)
I am excited to give it shot. I bought a new quiver at Jmbows today so looking forward to my 3D initiation this year.

Lefty was that you getting some bow tune up at Jimbows today?

It might have been :) I was there today, Carson and I were paper tuning my one bow because I had some funny flight going on at distance.

LC

Hydro1 04-18-2015 09:44 PM

I might be interested in participating.
I have never shot 3d before, looks like it will be some fun times.

Lefty-Canuck 04-19-2015 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydro1 (Post 2805058)
I might be interested in participating.
I have never shot 3d before, looks like it will be some fun times.

Honestly that's what we need is new folks who have never tried it before.

The ultimate goal is to grow the group of 3d archers province wide and even get some folks back who used to shoot 3d but no longer do. We also encourage bowhunters to join the ABA as the more voices the better.

Without shooters we don't have shoots, the clubs need the support to be able to put on shoots.... improve facilities... and maintain ranges and targets. The clubs around the Province are well organized and the venues provided are excellent. Many places have onsite camping that is free or close to free...so for a family weekend 3d Archery is a pretty good value!

LC

BlackBear74 04-19-2015 10:06 PM

Do you know if the Saamis Archers shoot in July at Elkwater, AB is going to be one of them?

npauls 04-19-2015 10:16 PM

I have never been to a shoot but this sounds like something myself and a few friends could be interested in.

We enjoy just shooting the 3d range here in lethbridge on a regular basis.

newdrenalin 04-20-2015 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 2805983)
I have never been to a shoot but this sounds like something myself and a few friends could be interested in.

We enjoy just shooting the 3d range here in lethbridge on a regular basis.

Same here. I have been shooting for a couple years but have never been to a shoot.

SportHuntingHelp 04-20-2015 08:36 AM

I think this is awesome. I still say if we can get together a fun shoot for the guys off here under this Bow Hunter Challenge set up one weekend that would be great too and for one would attend. Great work to all involved.

L.O.S.T.Arrow 04-20-2015 09:09 AM

:D Fun and knowledge is what it is all about...We need the bowhunters back to make this work...

3D was designed and started by bowhunters..for fun and hands on practise in bowhunting scenios with bowhunter tackle...an ultimate skill enhancer!

Years ago 3D shoots suddenly transformed into a strong competetive sport all in its own...fancy target tackle and a whole different breed of shooters...some who will never hunt or have desire to hunt...

Which is still awesome ....as Lefty stated no one is trying to change that phase or class of the sport...

The thing was Bowhunters were almost weeded out of these shoots...with even the title "Bowhunter" even though many of the top shooters are in fact bowhunters...

So its just time for bowhunters to be proud of what we are, our bowhunting tackle and our way of life...and bring back bowhunters back to 3D...our own definative class...

Without the average bowhunter these shoots wont exist...just as without members in ABA [Alberta Bowhunter Association] we lose bowhunting privileges and say in Albertas bowhunting management...

Bowhunter 3D shoots made me a much better bowhunter in the day, I learned something new each time, the practice taught me so much more than one can just shooting in the backyard....made new freinds and bowhunting contacts...huge reasons right there ...the fun and enjoyment is/will be a welcome bonus...

Neil

BigRackLover 04-20-2015 08:00 PM

crossbows allowed?

Lefty-Canuck 04-20-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRackLover (Post 2806998)
crossbows allowed?

:) you funny guy :)

LC

Lefty-Canuck 04-24-2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRackLover (Post 2806998)
crossbows allowed?

Take your x-bow to the EPS shoot tomorrow!

LC