Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Expired PAL (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=251895)

saskfly 04-16-2015 02:51 AM

Expired PAL

Unfortunately during the move I failed to update my information on the GCkey site for online renewal so I never received my 90 day notice. Regardless a buddy at work was renewing his and it reminded me to check mine. When I checked my PAL had expired 2 days ago. Looking at the forms I need to provide proof of passing the Canadian Firearms Safety Course. My question is whether I need to contact the CFO or is my expired PAL number proof of completion?

Shame on me...

Frog 04-16-2015 05:07 AM

I had mine expire as well and had to complete the full application. I just provided my previous PAL number and all was good. I got mine back in about three months.

csheep 04-16-2015 05:37 AM

Pal

I had the same thing happen. So I called and they said you have to re apply and where it says proof of passing they just told me to write already on file and there was no problems at all.

edmhunter 04-16-2015 06:12 AM

Mine expired in May of last year, I was not aware of it until November 1. I sent in my renewal in December, still waiting! :mad3:

lyallpeder 04-16-2015 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmhunter (Post 2802101)
Mine expired in May of last year, I was not aware of it until November 1. I sent in my renewal in December, still waiting! :mad3:

Keep calling them. Over and over.

edmhunter 04-16-2015 06:53 AM

I think I have called at least 20 times!

What :2mo5pow: me off is that I have been hunting since I was 5, had my hunters safety certificate since I was 9, I am 54 with no criminal record not even a DUI, so why the hold up??? Stupid :2mo5pow: system if you ask me! :mad3:

hollande 04-16-2015 07:01 AM

I have been in the same situations earlier.. Just provide the old PAL number and there you go.

muzzy 04-16-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmhunter (Post 2802101)

Id be following it up higher up the ladder I sent mine in middle of March for renewal and already have my new one back

omega50 04-16-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmhunter (Post 2802115)
I think I have called at least 20 times!

What :2mo5pow: me off is that I have been hunting since I was 5, had my hunters safety certificate since I was 9, I am 54 with no criminal record not even a DUI, so why the hold up??? Stupid :2mo5pow: system if you ask me! :mad3:

Cmon what kind of hunter are you?

No criminal record-Not even a DUI:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout :

Get with the program!!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

edmhunter 04-16-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega50 (Post 2802404)
Cmon what kind of hunter are you?

No criminal record-Not even a DUI:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout :

Get with the program!!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I am a very crafty and intelligent one!!! hehe

Thinlizzy 04-16-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmhunter (Post 2802409)
I am a very crafty and intelligent one!!! hehe

But not crafty enough to renew your Pal ontime!

Just teasing.:)

edmhunter 04-16-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlizzy (Post 2802468)
But not crafty enough to renew your Pal ontime!

Just teasing.:)

At the time it was the least of my concerns, both my parents passed away and a stupid :2mo5pow: plumber burned down no place. Under normal circumstances, that would have never happen to me :(

saskfly 04-17-2015 12:30 AM

Thanks everyone responding...as mentioned earlier called CFO today and just need to resubmit application and put already on file for proof of Canadian Firearms Safety Training...Lesson learned!!

edmhunter 04-20-2015 03:54 PM

Well I FINALLY got my PAL in the mail today, 4 months after I sent in my Application because it expired.

All I gotta say is whatever you do, do not let you PAL expire, what a pain in the butt!!!

Redfrog 04-20-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmhunter (Post 2806715)
Well I FINALLY got my PAL in the mail today, 4 months after I sent in my Application because it expired.

All I gotta say is whatever you do, do not let you PAL expire, what a pain in the butt!!!

Why was it a pain in the butt?

NEWB 04-20-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csheep (Post 2802092)
I had the same thing happen. So I called and they said you have to re apply and where it says proof of passing they just told me to write already on file and there was no problems at all.

Right on.

I was talking to a freind of mine recently. She had hers expire and thought she had to redo everything. Hers expired a few months ago though..

This thread is very timely.

edmhunter 04-20-2015 04:23 PM

Well mine expired in May of 2014 and I found out that it expired on October 31 when I went to buy shells for the hunting season, so I could not buy shells and found out that is was against the law to go hunting without supervision. So I missed the rifle hunting season for the first time in 45 years, which sucked the big one, BIG TIME.

Then even though my PAL was expired for only 5 months instead of simply renewing my PAL, I had to re apply as a newbie, which meant that I had to provide references and my GF's name so they could qualify everyone to make sure that I was sane and would not be a danger to the general public (I guess).

And finally I had to wait 4 months before I just got it today, after calling them many times to see what the hold up was. I am not even sure that I was allowed to have guns in my possession while I was waiting.

Bottom line - NEVER AGAIN!!! :angry3:

Okotokian 04-20-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmhunter (Post 2806759)
Well mine expired in May of 2014 and I found out that it expired on October 31 when I went to buy shells for the hunting season, so I could not buy shells and found out that is was against the law to go hunting without supervision. So I missed the rifle hunting season for the first time in 45 years, which sucked the big one, BIG TIME.

Then even though my PAL was expired for only 5 months instead of simply renewing my PAL, I had to re apply as a newbie, which meant that I had to provide references and my GF's name so they could qualify everyone to make sure that I was sane and would not be a danger to the general public (I guess).

And finally I had to wait 4 months before I just got it today, after calling them many times to see what the hold up was. I am not even sure that I was allowed to have guns in my possession while I was waiting.

Hey, if you didn't notice your PAL had expired until the day before big game hunting season opened, I don't blame them for having you jump through hoops "so they could qualify everyone to make sure that I was sane..." LOL :scared0018:

:wave: Sorry EH, I just couldn't help myself. LOL

edmhunter 04-20-2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 2806775)
Hey, if you didn't notice your PAL had expired until the day before big game hunting season opened, I don't blame them for having you jump through hoops "so they could qualify everyone to make sure that I was sane..." LOL :scared0018:

:wave: Sorry EH, I just couldn't help myself. LOL

Check out my post #12 above, under normal circumstances this whole thing would never have happened to me! They sent my renewal form to my home that burned down, so I never got one! :mad0030:

Grizzly Adams 04-20-2015 04:43 PM

If you have a Prohib qualification, YOU DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN.

Grizz

edmhunter 04-20-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 2806788)
If you have a Prohib qualification, YOU DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN.

Grizz

What is a "Prohib qualification"?

elkhunter11 04-20-2015 06:08 PM

I have never received any notice that my PAL was going to expire, because I always apply for renewal about six months before the expiry date. My new PAL has arrived in as little as three weeks, and it has taken up to five and a half months.

220swifty 04-20-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmhunter (Post 2806818)
What is a "Prohib qualification"?

An endorsement on your PAL that allows you to own certain firearms that were legal before the passing of C-68, granted you owned firearms in that category prior to the 'new' law coming into force.

My grandfather lost his 12.6 endorsement this way. Shameful.

edmhunter 04-20-2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 220swifty (Post 2806929)
An endorsement on your PAL that allows you to own certain firearms that were legal before the passing of C-68, granted you owned firearms in that category prior to the 'new' law coming into force.

My grandfather lost his 12.6 endorsement this way. Shameful.

hmmm, know you got me thinking, not sure if I have that, but I was one of the first people to register my weapons does that work? How do you know if you have it? Thanks 220swifty!

Redfrog 04-20-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmhunter (Post 2806759)

So it was a pita because of you not them.

I"m not beating you up for screwing up big time, I'm just sayin':)

No cheap moose last year, so the price has doubled for this year. :thinking-006: Just like beef,:sHa_shakeshout:

I'll bet you didn't say a word about you posting on AO. did you? I'll bet you didn't put any of us down as a reference did you? Probably would have been hunting with a bow if you did.:sHa_shakeshout:

I'm kidding of course. I'm not a fan of regulations and red tape, but I guess we have to tolerate some of them for the greater good.

Glad you're all legalled up again.:)

Redfrog 04-20-2015 07:10 PM

That prohib thingy is mostly for carbines and other machine guns.:)

edmhunter 04-20-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2806944)
So it was a pita because of you not them.

I"m not beating you up for screwing up big time, I'm just sayin':)

No cheap moose last year, so the price has doubled for this year. :thinking-006: Just like beef,:sHa_shakeshout:

I'll bet you didn't say a word about you posting on AO. did you? I'll bet you didn't put any of us down as a reference did you? Probably would have been hunting with a bow if you did.:sHa_shakeshout:

I'm kidding of course. I'm not a fan of regulations and red tape, but I guess we have to tolerate some of them for the greater good.

Glad you're all legalled up again.:)

If I had of used anyone from AO as a reference I would have been deported to Nigeria! LMAO :bad_boys_20:

Grizzly Adams 04-20-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2806945)
That prohib thingy is mostly for carbines and other machine guns.:)

No, if you own a Ruger Security 6, A German Luger or a bunch of other hand guns, you're in that boat as well.

Grizz

220swifty 04-20-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 2807000)
No, if you own a Ruger Security 6, A German Luger or a bunch of other hand guns, you're in that boat.

Grizz

Any handgun 25 or 32 caliber is also part of that, if you want to get into stupid, redundant laws.

Gopher Zombies Inc 04-20-2015 08:08 PM

I renewed mine on line the day before it expired. They sent me a notice saying my range pass was expired. Said it would not be renewed unless I submitted a valid range membership, or I applied for collector status.