Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tragedy at Hummingbird Creek on the Weekend (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=327810)

Kurt.Hanger 08-22-2017 10:33 AM

Tragedy at Hummingbird Creek on the Weekend

Spent the weekend out at Hummingbird Creek. Lots of guys prepping to head out for the sheep opener. Unfortunately there was a double fatality in the Hummingbird Creek equestrian staging campground on Sat. Three people were using their horse trailer as sleeping quarters and using a propane heater in the trailer for heat. The trailer appeared to be sealed up pretty tight not allowing much fresh air into the trailer. The two deceased people and their dog were sleeping in the front section of the trailer with the older gentleman sleeping in the back next to the door which was partially open for fresh air.
I hope everyone is safe this fall and remembers not to use propane heaters in enclosed sleeping areas without a lot of fresh air available. It was a tragedy which could have easlily been avoided.
Another thing that made me sit up and think is the fact that there is on cell coverage out their at all. I have never gave it much thought before and enjoy the phone not ringing. There were campers in the next parking area over that had a emergency SOS device and were able to send a text out to contact the police and the older gentlemans family. After this we will be purchasing a similar device and taking it out west with us from now on.
My condolences to the families for their loss.

Sooner 08-22-2017 10:40 AM

Sad to hear and a good reminder. I also knew of a fellow in the same work circles as I. Word was he died from using a heater while he slept under his canopy in the fall while out on a hunting trip.

Condolences to any here that knew these people at Hummingbird Creek.

HoytCRX32 08-22-2017 10:47 AM

I had an episode ice fishing where I had sealed the edges of the tent a little too well...had the propane heater going...started getting a small headache and then drowsy...opened the tent up in time but could have easily just "gone to sleep".
Can't be too careful/attentive to this...always have ample oxygen.

Gray Wolf 08-22-2017 10:50 AM

Sorry to hear about this. Condolences to the family and friends.

Seems like a string of these happens every year.

Will we never learn? :(

bb356 08-22-2017 11:22 AM

My condolence's to family and friend's .

rog 08-22-2017 12:48 PM

my condolences go out to the families

waterninja 08-22-2017 02:36 PM

Sorry to hear about this. Condolences to family.

Grizzly Adams 08-22-2017 03:02 PM

Similar tragedy at the Ya Ha Tinda couple of years back. Two girls in a horse trailer. Better to be cold than dead.

Grizz

Scott N 08-22-2017 03:05 PM

That really is horrible news.

el sparko 08-23-2017 04:25 PM

that is a terrible thing. the hummingbird has been my little slice of heaven for over 20 years now. having something like this happen is awful but happening in such a beautiful place is even worse.

Grizzly Adams 08-23-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el sparko (Post 3609068)
that is a terrible thing. the hummingbird has been my little slice of heaven for over 20 years now. having something like this happen is awful but happening in such a beautiful place is even worse.

If you're gonna die, may as well be in a beautiful place you love.

Grizz

el sparko 08-24-2017 08:40 AM

good point

Bigwoodsman 08-25-2017 04:12 PM

So sad, so unnecessary, so preventable. Condolences to the family.

BW