Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ice fishing for stocked trout (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=332955)

Ppb 11-07-2017 08:30 AM

Ice fishing for stocked trout

I was hoping to get a few pointers as regards to lures, bait and set ups to ice fish for stocked trout. I live near a stocked community trout lake and my young son has been talking about wanting to ice fish this winter. I have done a ton of fly fishing for trout but never ice fished for them. I’m all set up with rods, auger etc just need to figure out lures, bait, set ups people use with success.
So if you could help a father out with suggestions to get my son into some trout this winter I’d be very grateful.

alpinebeers 11-07-2017 08:31 AM

We use shrimp in our lake community and it seems to work pretty well. I've seen others use Velveeta cheese with decent success to.

Z7Extreme 11-07-2017 08:48 AM

Very tiny jigs and tip them with a very tiny piece of shrimp. When you jig it the shrimp should act as a tail and it should look like it is swimming. Use small movements to jig it about 1' off the bottom in 8-12 feet of water. 2-4 jigs then pause for a few seconds. They usually hit on the pause.

dutchpirate 11-07-2017 09:20 AM

I agree with shrimp, I have found Power Bait works well also. In my areas, white and orange seem to be the best colours, so that may take some experimentation. I have had great success with slip bobbers about halfway down the water column in 12-20ft of water.

skain11 11-07-2017 09:32 AM

I also have had success with small pieces of shrimp however I give them a roll in garlic salt , and let them sit out of the fridge for a few days to really get that odour humming...deadly for stocked rainbows

Flieguy 11-07-2017 09:50 AM

balanced leech fly, slays em

Bartfly 11-07-2017 04:50 PM

All of the above work including balanced leech, power bait, cheese and power bait nuggets, but my all time favorite and consistent item to catch trout in community lake is shrimp. Use the tiny ones, Co-op has them for around $10.00 for a small flat. I too have rolled them in garlic powder and that works real well, but the biggest thing for success is applying some motion to the jigging. Little pulls up the column, then let it settle. I start just off the bottom and then work my way up to just below the surface. I have lived in McKenzie Lake for 25 years and have fished it every year using all of the above. You and your son should have a gas. Good Luck.

Scott N 11-07-2017 06:44 PM

Another popular trout set up is a pickerel rig, I like to replace the hooks they usually come with with some better quality and appropriately sized snelled hooks and the bait mentioned above, power bait and / or shrimp. worms, maggots... all sorts of bait will work for stocked trout. I like to have a pickerel rig set up as above in one hole with a bell on my rod, and actively jig in my other hole.

TylerThomson 11-07-2017 07:28 PM

We did well last year on small spoons and pan fish jigs tipped with shrimp or power bait. Caught a lot on the jaw jackers as well with the same setup.

roofish 11-08-2017 10:21 AM

Worms

ive done well with a tiny hook on 4lb test no sinker. cover the hook completely in a small piece of worm, drop it in the hole and let it slowly sink. after few minutes without bite rise it and let it fall again. same technique for shrimp and powerbait.

kevinhits 11-08-2017 11:29 AM

As mentioned earlier, work the water column using different depths...I recommend pulling your line up and slowly dropping instead of jigging as trout spook easily. I find if I jig and spook the fish, he won't come back a second time based on watching with my Marcum.

Ppb 11-08-2017 04:35 PM

Thank for all the replies, they are appreciated. Bartfly im also in Mckenzie lake,
As soon as the thin ice signs come down I’ll be out there with my son trying to catch those fat rainbows we had caught all summer. It’s also nice they started stocking Brookies and browns in there as well.
I’ll be trying the shrimp tactics and the balanced leeches as those worked great in the summer months for me.
Thanks again for the replies.