Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fly-fishing Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=90381)

Rob Miskosky 04-27-2011 04:28 PM

Fly-fishing Forum

I have had requests for a Fly-fishing Forum and would like your thoughts on how often it would be used and/or if there is a need for it. Will it help unclutter this main Fishing Forum like the Archery and Guns and Ammo Forum helped unclutter the Hunting Forum?

Please, I do not want to hear that we need a "this" forum or a "that" forum because anything other than a Fly-fishing Forum will NOT be considered or even responded to. So, NO to an Ice-fishing Forum etc.

Thanks for your input.

LeonH 04-27-2011 04:34 PM

I think that anything that helps streamline a discussion subject is a good thing unless it causes too much grief on admin side of things.

So I am all for it.

Thanks,
Leon

walleyechaser 04-27-2011 04:38 PM

think its a good idea, might get rid of all the problems on the fishing forum

WayneChristie 04-27-2011 04:38 PM

I think it would be a good idea, although there will likely be a lot of crossover discussions. Havent flyfished myself too often, but do intend on getting into it more this season so it would help shorten the search for help and advice for sure.

Fishfinder 04-27-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonH (Post 921822)
I think that anything that helps streamline a discussion subject is a good thing unless it causes too much grief on admin side of things.

So I am all for it.

Thanks,
Leon

X2:happy0034:

alodar 04-27-2011 04:58 PM

Great idea

waynep 04-27-2011 05:04 PM

Great idea

Darren_buckhunter 04-27-2011 05:07 PM

Good

id use it good idea

BBC0 04-27-2011 05:10 PM

A very good idea

Kokanee9 04-27-2011 05:20 PM

This one with all combined moves along nicely. Splitting them up will create dead spots throughout the year when they are out of season.

Imagine if ice fishing was split into a separate group. Wouldn't be too much happening now in there now and even less in 2 or 3 weeks from now. Somebody wanting to know ice conditions today for fly fishing somewhere may not think of looking at a post in ice fishing where someone may have posted ice conditions for safety's sake. Eg.-Ghost, Spray or even Chain lakes south of Calgary. In reverse, in the fall, someone may not think of looking in fly fishing forum to see when ice started forming on a certain lake before they head out.

All in all, this one with everything combined moves nicely and I feel that people would move from one to another as the seasons change, thereby possibly missing something that they would otherwise have known.

deepfried 04-27-2011 05:26 PM

Very good Idea I belive ! I sure would be on there a lot :)

Daceminnow 04-27-2011 05:35 PM

Yep

it would keep me from shopping elsewhere.......i frequent the "other" fly fishing forums regularly, and for the most part it's just a different crowd. they even bash us AO guys......... yes, i'm all for it.

Dace

dodger 04-27-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokanee9 (Post 921864)
This one with all combined moves along nicely. Splitting them up will create dead spots throughout the year when they are out of season.

Imagine if ice fishing was split into a separate group. Wouldn't be too much happening now in there now and even less in 2 or 3 weeks from now. Somebody wanting to know ice conditions today for fly fishing somewhere may not think of looking at a post in ice fishing where someone may have posted ice conditions for safety's sake. Eg.-Ghost, Spray or even Chain lakes south of Calgary. In reverse, in the fall, someone may not think of looking in fly fishing forum to see when ice started forming on a certain lake before they head out.

All in all, this one with everything combined moves nicely and I feel that people would move from one to another as the seasons change, thereby possibly missing something that they would otherwise have known.

I have to agree with this. I also feel that by spreading it out in the long run it will mean extra time and work for the moderators.

My $0.02 worth.
Dodger.

lannie 04-27-2011 05:46 PM

It would be a great addition to this forum. I also think it would attract some new people from other "areas" with some valuable input.

bubbles 04-27-2011 05:57 PM

Good idea!

lifesaflyin 04-27-2011 06:15 PM

I for one, would probably use a fly fishing forum the most.

Albertafisher 04-27-2011 06:17 PM

Yes, I agree. :)

Heron 04-27-2011 07:16 PM

Put me in the camp that thinks the board may get spread too thin and become ineffective. If someone wants to discuss which 5 weight is best there are plenty of other boards for that. I think this board goes at a nice pace and I don't mind sorting through stuff that really does not interest me. There was a great FF board years ago (thanks Dave) but when it broke up several FF boards appeared that are in my opinion too specialized. I am an outdoorsman first even though I have been obsessed with flyfishing for some time. Take it from a long time flyfisherman when I say most flyfisherman are pretty annoying. Lets be outdoorsman first.

fishpro 04-27-2011 07:29 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me, this board gets quite busy so it would be a good thing to have.

FishingFrenzy 04-27-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heron (Post 921978)
Put me in the camp that thinks the board may get spread too thin and become ineffective. If someone wants to discuss which 5 weight is best there are plenty of other boards for that. I think this board goes at a nice pace and I don't mind sorting through stuff that really does not interest me. There was a great FF board years ago (thanks Dave) but when it broke up several FF boards appeared that are in my opinion too specialized. I am an outdoorsman first even though I have been obsessed with flyfishing for some time. Take it from a long time flyfisherman when I say most flyfisherman are pretty annoying. Lets be outdoorsman first.

X2!

uplander 04-27-2011 07:48 PM

I think it's a great idea!!

mayuan 04-27-2011 08:02 PM

I would have to go with a single fishing forum. I fish just about every form of fishing, except spear fishing. If we are to separate fly fishing, then how about ocean fishing, trolling in the deep lakes and ice fishing?

I feel that despite the different forms of fishing that people do, we have knowledge that can help one another.

Dust1n 04-27-2011 08:04 PM

101% all the way

drifter 04-27-2011 08:28 PM

sounds good to me.

Muskeg 04-27-2011 08:33 PM

excellent idea.. AB outdoorsman on Tapatalk for the Iphone would be sweet too
(forum app)

dcutter 04-27-2011 08:35 PM

I agree. This is a great idea. I'm new to fly fishing and would definitely use it. Also, I'm thinking about hitting the Morinville pond tomorrow and was wondering what fly a guy should.... :) I'll just wait till the other forum opens up? :)

Bigtoad 04-27-2011 08:39 PM

Yup, I'd use it.

Ken07AOVette 04-27-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonH (Post 921822)

So I am all for it.

Thanks,
Leon

+3

greylynx 04-27-2011 08:46 PM

Would this extra forum generate extra revenue for AO?

If you think it does, go for it.

Geezle 04-27-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokanee9 (Post 921864)

I'm kinda on this trolley. I like things as they are :)