Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Alberta RCMP changing tactics to address rural crime. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=336035)

ETOWNCANUCK 12-26-2017 07:28 PM

Alberta RCMP changing tactics to address rural crime.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3926191/a...nding-officer/

May not solve the problem outright but I hope it’s a step in the right direction to help rural residents.

MountainTi 12-26-2017 08:03 PM

Blah blah blah
I feel safer now

Norwest Alta 12-26-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 3696548)
Blah blah blah
I feel safer now

Me too.

Funny thing is they know who the bad guys are.
They’ve arrested the bad guys before.
A tactic I’d welcome is taking the bad guys for a long drive on a night like tonight and make them walk home in the suit they were born in.

hilt134 12-26-2017 08:11 PM

So they will know who's going to do it, when, where, and with what.... And then they will know they are too far away.

Newview01 12-26-2017 08:22 PM

He said he is implementing an idea he’s used successfully in eastern Canada, right here in Alberta. To start with, he’s investing more into the intelligence division.

“So versus having our officers respond to 20 calls for service, we have officers responding to the individual responsible for the 20 calls for service.”

“I still don’t believe that we can arrest our way out of a problem. A comprehensive crime-reduction program also means that we’re working with the other agencies. Can we identify the underlying issues why people are committing crimes – be it mental health, be it addictions.”

Yeah, sounds like things are really going to get better. :snapoutofit:

Unregistered user 12-26-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwest Alta (Post 3696554)
Me too.

Funny thing is they know who the bad guys are.
They’ve arrested the bad guys before.
A tactic I’d welcome is taking the bad guys for a long drive on a night like tonight and make them walk home in the suit they were born in.

It's been done and has cost careers.

elkhunter11 12-26-2017 08:26 PM

As long as the legal system refuses to hand out stiff punishments, and citizens are not allowed to protect their property, the situation won't change.

Norwest Alta 12-26-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 3696561)
It's been done and has cost careers.

I know it has and it has also made a problem go away.

Newview01 12-26-2017 08:30 PM

Who benefits from reduction in crime?

The victim and the taxpayer. Not the judges / lawyers, thats for sure.

MountainTi 12-26-2017 08:45 PM

I had to read the article once again, and sadly the second time it made even less sense. Did he come up with these ideas all by himself? Definately not a rocket scientist in the making :sHa_sarcasticlol:

What really passes me off is my taxes are paying this guys wages to provide this lip service and nothing else to rural albertans.
And what passes me off even more, his wage is most likely substantial.

Idiot...

bobtodrick 12-26-2017 08:52 PM

You guys are funny.
You bitch the RCMP don't do anything.
They announce they're going to do something...and you bitch.

MountainTi 12-26-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtodrick (Post 3696572)
You guys are funny.

Tell me, what exactly is it they are going to do that is going to help? Start profiling crackheads? Come up with something meaningful, and there will be no bitching
Which rural area do you live in and is rural crime a problem there?

honda610 12-26-2017 09:11 PM

This issue is simple to resolve.
The rcmp need to announce no charges will be laid in the shooting of suspects robbing citizens......merry christmas happy new year

Mr Conservation 12-26-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3696563)
As long as the legal system refuses to hand out stiff punishments, and citizens are not allowed to protect their property, the situation won't change.

Agreed !!

Until the "legal system" changes back into a "justice system", and the offenders are dealt with appropriately, then the offenders will continue to re-offend.

Almost daily I read about an incident where the person arrested was "on court ordered conditions", on "bail conditions", etc, and is released to re-offend. It is the current system, whereby an offender can be let out on pre-trial release, that is wrong. If someone is charged with a serious crime, ie: Vader and the missing McCann family, then the offender should remain in custody. If I recall correctly, Vader was arrested and charged with other crimes when he was out on bail. :sign0176: Additionally, if convicted, the offender should not get "credit" for time served.

Mr Conservation

Termender 12-26-2017 09:53 PM

Nothing wrong with profiling, which is what the new CO is saying they are doing. Go fishing where the fish are, basically.

Night hawk 12-26-2017 10:38 PM

It's almost as if the "legal system" is complicit, enabling & encouraging thieves. A minimum 5 year jail sentence for vehicle and or licence plate theft would go along way in reducing rural crime.

huntsfurfish 12-26-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

You guys are funny.

Yup. Pretty much expected it though. Same guys too.

58thecat 12-26-2017 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsfurfish (Post 3696624)
Yup. Pretty much expected it though. Same guys too.

Maybe girls....

And people will complain, it's what they do, and do real well:(

Y2K 12-27-2017 06:49 AM

Sounds like more office work

gitrdun 12-27-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

You guys are funny.

I agree! :)

CaberTosser 12-27-2017 08:24 AM

The media as a whole should start getting on the cases of every lax-sentence awarding judge in the province, that’s where our epidemic of recidivism sprouts from. Sure there are other factors such as addiction at play, but some people simply have no conscience or concern for their fellow man whatsoever when they’re stone cold sober. All these bleeding hearts keep wondering why criminals do what they do when the answer is that many/most of them are just horrible people. Some can’t comprehend this simple fact, being they’re deluded about the darker sides of human behaviour, to them everyone has a good person inside just waiting to bet coaxed out, it’s some kind of Pollyanna delusion. The lefties would have you believe that anyone who has committed a crime only did so because of a wheelbarrow full of reasons such as: bad childhoods/ suffering abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, being poor, jerk parents, mental health condition A through Z. They fail to comprehend that some people are simply sociopaths and will never be able to integrate with civilized society, save perhaps for brief periods in order to gain trust prior to carrying out a criminal plan. A predatory cougar cannot be turned into a rabbit in a meadow munching away on foliage, it’s just fulfilling its natural role by being the cougar that it was born to be.

Hey judges, news flash: some people are just sociopaths, maybe you should try keeping them locked-up as a crime reduction technique!

Jack fish hunter 12-27-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honda610 (Post 3696583)
This issue is simple to resolve.
The rcmp need to announce no charges will be laid in the shooting of suspects robbing citizens......merry christmas happy new year

Exactly. You'll think twice about breaking in or stealing something if there's a chance of losing your life.

6.5swedeforelk 12-27-2017 08:44 AM

New rcmp policy

“Maybe you’re not going to see that police car show up in your driveway at that particular time.”

Did you all miss Shean's central message to rural Albertians?

In a nutshell, rather than continuing with the too late responses,

in the future, they are not responding at all.

Oh, btw...send us a copy of your insurance claim-
it helps justify manpower demands.

Norwest Alta 12-27-2017 08:52 AM

Elected judges and maybe let them have some clout.

CaberTosser 12-27-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwest Alta (Post 3696732)
Elected judges and maybe let them have some clout.

Agreed. Let them feel responsible to the public, this utter lack of accountability from them is certainly part of the growing crime problem. Don’t have politicians & bureaucrats telling them that the prisons are overcrowded so they should not give long sentences or that too many people from identifiable group X are in jail. Let them incarcerate criminals with appropriately stiff sentences and if we need to expand jail capacity then so be it.

Sure, keep up with programs to reduce the crime rate by trying to prevent people at risk of re-offending from doing so, but for Pete’s sake lock them up when they offend and keep them in there for a suitable amount of time. It’s all tomoften I see press releases notifying about the local release of dangerous sex offenders or when we see people like Vince Li getting set free by a mentally ill justice system.

JB_AOL 12-27-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3696751)
Agreed. Let them feel responsible to the public, this utter lack of accountability from them is certainly part of the growing crime problem. Don’t have politicians & bureaucrats telling them that the prisons are overcrowded so they should not give long sentences or that too many people from identifiable group X are in jail. Let them incarcerate criminals with appropriately stiff sentences and if we need to expand jail capacity then so be it.

Sure, keep up with programs to reduce the crime rate by trying to prevent people at risk of re-offending from doing so, but for Pete’s sake lock them up when they offend and keep them in there for a suitable amount of time. It’s all tomoften I see press releases notifying about the local release of dangerous sex offenders or when we see people like Vince Li getting set free by a mentally ill justice system.

guys..

The judges are basically reading from a book that tells them what sentence to give the criminals.. It's not them. its right back to square one.. The books need to be re-written.

qwert 12-27-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk (Post 3696727)
“Maybe you’re not going to see that police car show up in your driveway at that particular time.”

Did you all miss Shean's central message to rural Albertians?

In a nutshell, rather than continuing with the too late responses,

in the future, they are not responding at all.

Oh, btw...send us a copy of your insurance claim-
it helps justify manpower demands.

BINGO

Police have no legal obligation to protect you or your property,
and do NOT work for you or your interests.

Good Luck, YMMV, (and you are on your own.)

Big_Willy 12-27-2017 10:34 AM

Brings this video to mind;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bBZXYY4MWM

Criminals have an ever-growing sense of entitlement and are emboldened by it.

What happens when the Commissioner's vision clashes with Liberal ideals?

This strategy won't last long, not because its wrong, but because it will be sabotaged from within by RCMP brass/Alberta Justice/Federal Justice becoming scared of its potential optics.

CaberTosser 12-27-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB_AOL (Post 3696755)
guys..

The judges are basically reading from a book that tells them what sentence to give the criminals.. It's not them. its right back to square one.. The books need to be re-written.

Considering that they also write the book in every collective decision they make that’s a circular argument. When precedent is set the buggers have a hard time making a decision of their own. “Oops, precedent is established I better be a lemming and bump them out on their own recognizance” , or walking about clucking “Gladue” like they have Tourette’s and its a swear.

For supposedly smart people they can be colossally ignorant and excessively fixated on legislative wording over actual justice. But then again we never see examples of good harsh sentences being handed down splashed across the media. I would like to see that, if and when I see that I’ll summon up some respect for them. Perhaps there’s some good ones who don’t make the news because they’re not passing lax sentences. If someone can link me some examples of a currently serving Alberta ‘hanging judge’ I’d be elated.

dgl1948 12-27-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB_AOL (Post 3696755)
guys..

But when our elected members of parliament passed legislation that would give mandatory minimums our unelected Supreme Court said they were two harsh and they went by the wayside. It seems this unelected body feel they speak for Canadians , not parliament.