Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Trochu gun range? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=100153)

Rhino81 08-01-2011 09:21 PM

Trochu gun range?

Has anyone ever used the trochu gun range? I was down there on the weekend and was impressed with the range. If anyone wants to meet one day and squeeze a few off, give me a pm.

Grizzly Adams 08-01-2011 09:30 PM

I stumbled on it a few weeks ago, picnicking by the Tollman bridge. I think it is run by a local club and you have to be a member. Seems very informal and low key, like the Olds range used to be.:D Be nice to keep it that way.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL123.../397936613.jpg

Grizz

Rhino81 08-01-2011 09:57 PM

I live on top the coulee on the east side about 15 mins south of it and never knew it was there until 2 weeks ago. Doesn't seem like very many people use it?

Porcupine 08-01-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino81 (Post 1031091)
I live on top the coulee on the east side about 15 mins south of it and never knew it was there until 2 weeks ago. Doesn't seem like very many people use it?

There's a few who do, but I've only ever seen a two or three other people there in the half-dozen times I've gone.

You have to be a member or be accompanied by one, though, to use it. I think the meetings are in Trochu on the first Monday of every month... but I'll ask. My Dad's been a member there for a few years now -- apparently the club that operates that range has an indoor range in town, as well.

Rhino81 08-02-2011 05:24 PM

Right on, thanks for the info.

Gonehuntin' 08-02-2011 09:01 PM

It might be worth getting a membership. It's about the same distance to there as it is to the Nevis range for me.

Rhino81 08-02-2011 09:26 PM

I am for sure going to get one. I wish I had known about it years ago.

thrude1 08-03-2011 12:18 AM

look out Trochu here comes Calgary

Grizzly Adams 08-03-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrude1 (Post 1032448)

I believe they're well aware of that and have written their by-laws to protect themselves.:D Besides that, it doesn't have the accessability factor.

Grizz

Dick284 08-03-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 1032558)
I believe they're well aware of that and have written their by-laws to protect themselves.:D Besides that, it doesn't have the accessability factor.

Grizz

Interesting point Griz.

I think many clubs will be visiting the out of area membership issue if they have not done so already.

The folks in the Calgary area need to get politically motivated and get the Province on board with some options for a range down that way, and no I'm not talking about a chit show like Sibbald Flats either.
The South half of the Province has a pletoria of notables and celebrity outdoors persons, that should be brought on board to state the case.

But instead it's just easier to over run places like Old's causing the inevitable.

Robmcleod82 08-03-2011 07:56 PM

Dick I dont mean this as a personal attack or anything like that just a comment, from what I had heard from a few olds local members the complaints started really coming in when the RCMP (and I believe calgary city police, again this is what I recall hearing a couple years ago and is by no means the gospel) started using the range for training, dumping full auto high capacity mags all day long out there. I know of a guy North east of calgary who built his own private range on his farm and had it approved for pistols that never had a complaint from a neighbor until the calgary police started shooting there, again full autos. I dont really think the issue is that it was being over run by shooters from calgary, I would guess that its not much different than most ranges and majority of the members only have membership so they can possess a restricted firearm. I do completely agree with you that the calgary area shooters need to get together and approach the government about getting another range facility, and not another sibbald gong show. If I were a more intelligent and articulate fellow I would try to get something like this going but I think somebody with a little more experience or education would do a better job.

dbcooper 08-03-2011 08:33 PM

[QUOTE=It's about the same distance to there as it is to the Nevis range for me.[/QUOTE]

Where is the Nevis range?

Dave

Gonehuntin' 08-03-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbcooper (Post 1033336)
Where is the Nevis range?

Dave

A few miles due south of Nevis, Ab .Range operated by the Stettler Rifle and Pistol Club.

Porcupine 08-05-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino81 (Post 1031936)
Right on, thanks for the info.

I asked my Dad about how the Trochu club operates - he says that meetings start in the fall. They're in the basement of the Trochu community hall every Monday after harvest, and start at 7 pm.

You have to attend a meeting to pick up a memberhip form; Not sure what other qualifications are needed to become a member, but I think knowing current members does help. Dues were $30 a year, but he's not sure if it's changed now for new members.

soccercoach1974 07-17-2012 01:06 PM

You can also pick up the form at the Home Hardware in Trochu!!

The Fee is Still $30.00

Gonehuntin' 07-20-2012 04:37 AM

Talked to the club prez a while back, the membership fee is going up to $50 per year.
And you would not believe the # of people I have run into there from Cowtown and thereabouts.Apparently it is as cheap for them to buy this membership and drive the distance than some of the private and public facilities available closer.It's a great little range.Only problem is some people (My guess-non members) showing up and doing damage, like shooting off gate locks, damaging range equipment, and leaving piles of trash:angry3:.I guess the usual suspects at work.Unseen except for the aftermath.

FallAirFever 07-20-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonehuntin' (Post 1528131)
Talked to the club prez a while back, the membership fee is going up to $50 per year.
And you would not believe the # of people I have run into there from Cowtown and thereabouts.Apparently it is as cheap for them to buy this membership and drive the distance than some of the private and public facilities available closer.It's a great little range.Only problem is some people (My guess-non members) showing up and doing damage, like shooting off gate locks, damaging range equipment, and leaving piles of trash:angry3:.I guess the usual suspects at work.Unseen except for the aftermath.

What in the F is wrong with people! I am quickly learning how much of a privilage it is to shoot at a decent range with good members. My fear is that more ranges will be shut down over time forcing more people onto crown land to shoot where a ugly accident is inevitable. Leading to another outcry from the anti's.

260 Rem 07-20-2012 12:46 PM

Managing a Range in today's environment is not a simple task. With the discovery of the "gems" at Ranges like Troshu & Nevis...comes the inevitable race to keep ahead of the issues that come with growth. Increased use = improving facilities = increasing costs. Membership growth presents a whole host of issues and small clubs would be well advised to look at bigger clubs that are operating successfully to cut the anguish finding solutions to problems by trial-and-error.

MountainTi 07-20-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrude1 (Post 1032448)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonehuntin' (Post 1528131)

Less than a year.......

purgatory.sv 07-20-2012 02:55 PM

I travel round trip 300 units of measurement ,about a total of 3 hours travel time with no side trips. I have been doing this for over 17 years to go shooting. I have other options and also use them when I don’t travel the 300 units of measurement to shoot.

The one factor causing the ranges problems before you factor in the vandalism is membership not knowing or following the rule of the facility. Once all members follow the rules it would be easer to correct all other difficulties at the facilities.

singleshotom 07-20-2012 03:20 PM

Trochu club

Well the club is well aware of problems and many years ago they had the fore-site to place a very important item in their constitution. And that is in order a full member with voting rights you must live in the county that it is located in.
They have a very active bunch of members and work very closely and hard for what they have. And I can assure you if people think they can just join and shoot and not work or go to meetings you may find a bit of pressure as to what the word membership means. They retain the right to revoke a membership rather quickly that way.
Great bunch of guys Ive shot with them many times over the last 40 yrs but its just to far for me to join. Their winter club shoot is attended by the vast majority of members every week at the indoor range.
SST

scrapper 07-20-2012 03:32 PM

FYI, speaking about nice ranges, the Med Hat range had a 125,000.00 upgrade reno this spring, it's open and looks great.

purgatory.sv 07-20-2012 03:54 PM

singleshotom Join Date: Apr 2008

Trochu club

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the club is well aware of problems and many years ago they had the fore-site to place a very important item in their constitution. And that is in order a full member with voting rights you must live in the county that it is located in.
They have a very active bunch of members and work very closely and hard for what they have. And I can assure you if people think they can just join and shoot and not work or go to meetings you may find a bit of pressure as to what the word membership means. They retain the right to revoke a membership rather quickly that way.
Great bunch of guys Ive shot with them many times over the last 40 yrs but its just to far for me to join. Their winter club shoot is attended by the vast majority of members every week at the indoor range.
SST

Perfect, no one likes to be told what to do but when you are aware and respect the rules of the club you will enjoy it.

FallAirFever 07-20-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singleshotom (Post 1528709)
SST

Well I for one have no problems with locals retaining control of their range and having to follow rules. Or helping and being an active helpful member. Especially when a range has very reasonable fees.

How long is the range?

260 Rem 07-20-2012 10:59 PM

I am mystified every time I hear about "locals retaining control".... SPFGA is arguably one of the largest and most popular ranges in Alberta...and, the "Sherwood Park" facility is located in Beaver County. If the club was left to "county residents" who probably represent no more than2-3% of the club membership....well, I'm sure you can see the "fairness" of that type of rule. I can see where those who have no say in the organization would not be a great pool for volunteers.

32-40win 07-20-2012 11:40 PM

I know there is at least 200yds there. It strikes me as it is a place that could fairly easily be abused though. I only ever shot there once, but, I remember running out of windage. it can howl there.

singleshotom 07-20-2012 11:56 PM

Ranges

Well 260, here is my thoughts concerning a gun Range control.
If in the past years when money was scarce and a small group of local people had the fortitude to buy land and donate it to a club an beg, borrow or buy material and equipment to build a usable range. And this same small group of people pour in a large amount of sweat equity to develop this range.
Now as years go by, a small group and their family's supported the needs of this range to maintain its existence. Keeping in mind there was absolutely no funding by government for a shooting range, if you wanted one you dug in your pockets and paid for what ever the range needed.
Now the years pass and the fees are very reasonable and all work is volunteer and expected by all members. And if a situation comes up and at a meeting it may be asked that in order to not raise fees the members would have to dig in their pockets to fund something that the club cant aford and is required. Some members will write a check and others will pay with sweat equity and there is no questions asked.
Now do you think that it is fair to any of these members or their families that because a group of people join the club they should gain control of this club.
Do you truly believe what your saying that what right do they have?
most these small community ranges throughout Alberta that are 30 to 60 years old were build and maintained by a small group of local people and you bet they should maintain control.
Just look at what happened to gun ranges here in Alberta when they grew beyond control or were taken over by people living outside the community.

My answer to you is if you want a Range and want to have a say in what it can and cant do is very simple, dig in your pocket and buy a piece of land, get a few people to put money in to build whats required and then let others
control whats done on the range. ( I don't think anyone will allow that)
The SPFGA range was built not as a community range and there was a great deal of government grant money spent on this range and the land they sold to the Canadian Land reserve. This range had a huge group of people in a club with a pretty good bank account prior to starting. And as you know there is many issues at the range due to the fact there is no control.
Comparing a small community range to a large Association range is comparing a car to a horse.
I truly respect small community ranges and believe they will be the only ones left to shoot at in Alberta, as long as clubs allow idiots who can afford a membership, but doesn't give a damn about the range or other members, and calls them selves members. Their not members their users.

SST

32-40win 07-21-2012 12:41 AM

What is needed in Calgary area is something along the river or a big coulee.
Which would need to be a big old gravel pit or something of that ilk. Then try to get county development approval ( not likely to happen), then range approval, then it would have to be supervised somehow. C&DTSA is living on borrowed time, has been for a long time. APRA would like to shut down the public range-period. There are too many shooters in the area for the existing clubs to absorb, and they likely cannot expand to absorb them. There are too many shooters who are not willing to pay the price to operate a range like that. And a lot that could not afford it.
Clubs like Trochu, Drum, Olds, Rocky and some others have to cover their butts to keep from being abused, from within, alone from outside like Leth has just gone thru.
Hazards and realities of population growth. Need something like a summer Olympics to get it done, maybe. Then they'd likely shut it down after anyway.
For the most part, we are our own worst enemy towards getting a new range established.

260 Rem 07-21-2012 09:26 AM

SST - SPFGA was built for it's members, by members who put in enormous sweat equity. Like other clubs, the lions share of the work was done by a very small percentage of "users". I think the original Range was in Strathcona County, and was moved to Beaver County. I use the Range almost daily and am not aware of the "control" issues to which you refer?
I agree with 32's statement that clubs need protection from within as well as much as from the outside. Seems to me that reasonable members can prevail regardless of where they pay taxes.

singleshotom 07-21-2012 09:57 PM

Ranges Needed

Ive been involved in several ranges here in Alberta for the last 45 years and know that all of them are somewhat the same. Where a very few members do the majority of the work its a very common practice, but what seems to happen at a lot of clubs is that the majority of people who bitch and complain and want to make changes are those who do very little other then use the range and contribute only a members fee.

Anyway I vented in the last post and Im not going to do it again.

What is needed in an area like Calgary is a large amount of people to join together and lobby the Federal and Provincial Government for a place to shoot!
Instead of saying its not going to happen or there is not a chance, remember there will never be a range built unless the Government leads in creating it.
Now is the time plain and simple, Calgary is solid federally an somewhat ok with provincial seats.
Instead of those shooters there in Calgary and area trying to join rural clubs and trying to change them, put that effort into going after a Range there.
The government will listen is they all were to get 1500 to 2500 emails week after week after week and phone calls each person calling their member 3 or 4 times a week, asking where in the area can a law abiding citizen shoot safely locally. Due to fact all ranges are closed.
Also where can people train children to handle guns safely, were can seniors go out and enjoy shooting the same as others enjoy golf or art galleries and museums that these same governments build for the people.
The same thing that started small rural community ranges must be done there, very simple organize, and push for a place safe, that will fall in line with range regulations.
What better way to go at is is to ask the government to have the CFO head the search for a place that will fulfill the requirements.
The only hope now in those locations is for the government to be a partner in constructing a Range, for all ranges in the future and believe me if the government puts money into it they will make sure it operates for a long time.
If there isn't about 1500 or 2000 people who want a range bad enough to put in a huge amount of time and getting people organized and pour on the pressure Id be shocked if something didn't happen... Remember you got a few years before an election......
Remember when dealing with the Government there a few key things to mention Including a place that is licensed and in close proximity to your home.
1. gun safety 2. controlled training area for firearms, 3. recreation for seniors, 4. Recreation for youth. 5. tourism (hosting international shoots) 6. Shooting is a sport not unlike curling, baseball, swimming, fishing, walking trails, parks, recreation centers, skating rinks, etc. which both governments spend millions and millions of dollars each and every year.

But if the local people in Calgary cant organize and join together, not unlike people did in rural areas many years ago, then they will end up with nothing to hand off to their kids and grand kids.
So there you go guys sweat equity, a plan, organize, advertize, join together to create a force to rec-coned with.
Calgary and area now is the time the ball is in your court.
a couple of years a go the federal government gave a group people money to build a range between Terrace and Kitimat and they have a NDP MP who worked with them so all things are possible but you must work for it.
I'm done

SST