Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fraser river closed to all salmon fishing (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=262534)

Andrew_Arsenault 08-15-2015 07:48 AM

Fraser river closed to all salmon fishing

As of midnight last night the Fraser river is closed to all salmon fishing. Just a heads up to anyone else out here or any one coming! There went my afterwork activity!

elkivory 08-15-2015 07:51 AM

Would you happen to know why?

Andrew_Arsenault 08-15-2015 08:14 AM

Think it has something to do with the water conditions and the sockeye run.

MathewsArcher 08-15-2015 08:30 AM

Poor returns and record water temperatures. Bulletin can be found on the DFO website.

Redfrog 08-15-2015 01:32 PM

IMHO, this is the worst managed fishery in the country and possibly the world.

In 50 years that I know about it has not gotten one bit better.

FlyTheory 08-15-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2928497)

In your opinion, how would you suggest they make it better?

Luxor 08-15-2015 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyTheory (Post 2928535)

The big problem is commercial fishing, natives netting and foreign illegal fishing boats.

Its more becoming a world problem. Not just BC.

So how do we fix our depleting world fisheries????? :confused0024:

Redfrog 08-15-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyTheory (Post 2928535)

A trip to Alaska may help.

Luxor, All those things are active in Alaska, but their salmon runs do not suddenly appear as a big surprise each year.

DFO has no idea from day to day how many salmon are in the Faser, or are coming, or have already gone up river.. How do you have a six hour opening as a management tool?

lakerman 08-15-2015 03:11 PM

It's ugly

Just got back from the coast they need rain, snow anything real bad, some streams have an inch of water and those salmon are not going to spawn, this is a real nightmare in the making!

Bushrat 08-15-2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2928497)

No it's the second worst, it's right behind the mismanagement of the Atlantic salmon and codfish that are being mismanaged into extinction by DFO.

Redfrog 08-15-2015 04:18 PM

Bushrat, I agree. Same crap different pile.

Luxor 08-15-2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2928568)
A trip to Alaska may help.

Luxor, All those things are active in Alaska, but their salmon runs do not suddenly appear as a big surprise each year.

DFO has no idea from day to day how many salmon are in the Faser, or are coming, or have already gone up river.. How do you have a six hour opening as a management tool?

I can definitely agree that their calculated numbers are so overly innacurrate that its impossible to take them seriously year after year after year.

From what Ive read....it also seems that the salmon farming hasn't helped the industry well either.

To put environment issues in perspective into a nice little box.....I just blame it all on human overpopulation.
We are so screwed its not even funny anymore!!!!

Stupid people is one thing......but millions of stupid people is quite another.

rena0040 08-15-2015 06:15 PM

well that screws up my september trip for pinks. old man's flights from quebec are booked and everything

rena0040 08-15-2015 06:37 PM

looks like tidal fraser is closed but non tidal is still open, for now.

Brandonkop 08-15-2015 07:38 PM

I've read a bunch about this. The closure is due to extreme river Temps above 20 degrees Celsius and extremely low flows due to no rain. Neither of these are factors that fisheries can change. When water Temps are over 18 degrees c the sockeye are in danger of death before ever spawning. Unless we get some cool days or rain it could spell disaster. Last year they forecast 75 million sockey. In reality only 16 to 18 million showed up. They over fished last year by 1.4 million. Apparently the bios recommend only 20 to 30 mill return but the feds try to push it up asuh as possible for the largest possible commercial harvest. money talks and fish don't. This year they projected 5 to 6 mill and now I'm hearing 1 to 2 million. That's a shame for the fraser in a time when the fish will be super stressed. They should start some hatchery sockeye before we lose them.

Your trip might be ok in September if river Temps fall and sockeye are gone up river they'll probably reopen it.

Macdrizzle 08-15-2015 07:42 PM

For the love of god please don't let this be true, been looking forward to the pink run for 2 years now... and I just booked rooms 3 days ago!

waterninja 08-15-2015 08:09 PM

Saw a show last year that had a number of biologists talking about the devastation that farmed salmon and the disease's that they introduced into the wild salmon stock has done to the overall population. Apparently biologists and other experts tried to get the Govt. to stop the farming, but the money was too good to resist.
The extreme heat wave coupled with no rain along the coast sure hasen't helped this years salmon runs.

Luxor 08-15-2015 08:14 PM

No one has mentioned global warming yet.
And I wont be the one to do it

Can anyone remember closures to this degree in AB and BC ?????

elkivory 08-15-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushrat (Post 2928647)
No it's the second worst, it's right behind the mismanagement of the Atlantic salmon and codfish that are being mismanaged into extinction by DFO.

I was lucky to fly fish for Atlantic Salmon in the Gaspe when I was in my twenties, good time I will never forget. :)

Bushrat 08-15-2015 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkivory (Post 2928871)
I was lucky to fly fish for Atlantic Salmon in the Gaspe when I was in my twenties, good time I will never forget. :)

Never fished Gaspe but did fish Restigouche, Miramichi, Nashwaak, Tobique and the Saint John. You can still fish back there some but it is not a shadow of what it was 30 or 40 years ago.

elkivory 08-15-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushrat (Post 2928898)
Never fished Gaspe but did fish Restigouche, Miramichi, Nashwaak, Tobique and the Saint John. You can still fish back there some but it is not a shadow of what it was 30 or 40 years ago.

I have heard. Fished the Restigouche and Matapedia Rivers, stayed at Motel Restigouche, fun, fun, fun! :)

foothillzman 08-16-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkivory (Post 2928903)
I have heard. Fished the Restigouche and Matapedia Rivers, stayed at Motel Restigouche, fun, fun, fun! :)

I think fish farms should be forced to be inland, contained on the ground to avoid all the issues, and not be set-up in the ocean, and we should accept eating these fish, there are too many people in the world to all be eating "wild" sockeye in my opinion!
Alaska will be next to decline.

Luxor 08-16-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foothillzman (Post 2929420)
I think fish farms should be forced to be inland, contained on the ground to avoid all the issues, and not be set-up in the ocean, and we should accept eating these fish, there are too many people in the world to all be eating "wild" sockeye in my opinion!

They do exist
They are called "fish hatcheries"

I almost invested in ocean fish farming when first started making an impact about 25yrs ago.
Seemed like a great idea and very profitable.
But the problems started to surface almost immediately and I declined my support

elkivory 08-16-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foothillzman (Post 2929420)

What does fishing the Matapedia or Restigouche for wild Atlantic Salmon have to do with BC fish farms?

By the way, I happen to agree with you that fish farms are a very bad idea! I have read marine biologist's reports that the sea lice coming off of the farmed stocks are killing wild salmon smolt, as well as various diseases that can come from these fish and spread into the wild population, not to forget the amount of pollution that these pens are creating!

Last but not lease, farmed salmon taste nothing like wild salmon, don't like them one bit!

Redfrog 08-16-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonkop (Post 2928843)
I've read a bunch about this. The closure is due to extreme river Temps above 20 degrees Celsius and extremely low flows due to no rain. Neither of these are factors that fisheries can change. When water Temps are over 18 degrees c the sockeye are in danger of death before ever spawning. Unless we get some cool days or rain it could spell disaster. Last year they forecast 75 million sockey. In reality only 16 to 18 million showed up. They over fished last year by 1.4 million. Apparently the bios recommend only 20 to 30 mill return but the feds try to push it up asuh as possible for the largest possible commercial harvest. money talks and fish don't. This year they projected 5 to 6 mill and now I'm hearing 1 to 2 million. That's a shame for the fraser in a time when the fish will be super stressed. They should start some hatchery sockeye before we lose them.

Your trip might be ok in September if river Temps fall and sockeye are gone up river they'll probably reopen it.

Overestimating is SOP for DFO. Hasn't changed in forever. Same song, over and over..
Now they blame fish farms.

what do you think they blamed before there were fish farms? Certainly not mismanagement.:thinking-006:

gramps73 08-16-2015 07:23 PM

Closed to everyday anglers but not to the netters...

MountainTi 08-17-2015 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkivory (Post 2929454)
What does fishing the Matapedia or Restigouche for wild Atlantic Salmon have to do with BC fish farms?

By the way, I happen to agree with you that fish farms are a very bad idea! I have read marine biologist's reports that the sea lice coming off of the farmed stocks are killing wild salmon smolt, as well as various diseases that can come from these fish and spread into the wild population, not to forget the amount of pollution that these pens are creating!

Last but not lease, farmed salmon taste nothing like wild salmon, don't like them one bit!

Have not bought farmed salmon for years, first and foremost because I do not agree with the west coast salmon farms, and secondly, farmed atlantic salmon is a sub par product

Sundancefisher 08-17-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luxor (Post 2928870)
No one has mentioned global warming yet.
And I wont be the one to do it

Can anyone remember closures to this degree in AB and BC ?????

Thank El Niņo. They have come and gone for millions of years. They range in strength from mild to strong.

This one is strong. Biggest impact on weather.

Salavee 08-19-2015 11:53 AM

Effect of Salmon Farms

For the real skinny on Salmon Farming, give this Salmon Confidential video documentary a look.
It's on the top left of the home page .. http://baitrix.com/

It's about an hour long and I'm betting you will never eat a farmed Salmon again .. ever.

.257Weatherby 08-19-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathewsArcher (Post 2928183)
Poor returns and record water temperatures. Bulletin can be found on the DFO website.

Actually, there are more fish showing up than expected, both Sockeye and Pinks..it is a Pink cycle though and an off cycle for Sockeye.
It is the warm water and no rain that has DFO worried.
But, it hasnt stopped the Natives from fishing twice a week for commercial and food fishing..yeah right food fishing.....The river temps are high though and that is serious business.
Tight Lines,
Rob