Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2014 Archery Harvest Thread....post your Pics (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=229261)

H380 11-01-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.B. (Post 2600094)
Lol guess your a net score guy eh? I wish i could find a nice character deer like that, but keep tripping over these tempting typical bucks :)

YES NETS ARE FOR FISH AND ME ..LOL .. Want to trade him for your biggest buck ? :thinking-006:Didn't think so ..lol .

J.B. 11-01-2014 06:03 PM

:)

Settle&release 11-01-2014 06:26 PM

Awesome buck! Congrats!

jdselman@hotmail.com 11-01-2014 10:58 PM

30 yards with reapers

Upload File from your Computer

H380 11-02-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdselman@hotmail.com (Post 2600381)
Upload File from your Computer

:thinking-006:??

6mm rem 11-04-2014 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Called in this big TomAttachment 98291

ThreeD 11-06-2014 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guess I should drop this in here also for the fall summary.

Marko 11-07-2014 10:08 AM

[IMG]http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...C9140C2D65.png[/IMG]
My first deer with a bow. Strathcona deer

Zuludog 11-07-2014 10:29 AM

Congrats Mark, that is quite the accomplishment.

Marko 11-07-2014 11:15 AM

Thanks a lot. Passed on many does, but always wanted a buck for a 1st. Was extremely happy when I got up to this guy, and seen the size of him. Not my biggest deer, but I was very happy with it being my first archery deer. A memory I will not forget. Might not even pick up a rifle this season. And the pic turned out well for a "selfie"! Haha

Mark

Settle&release 11-09-2014 02:59 PM

Great buck! Congrats [emoji1]

coyotekiller 11-10-2014 07:15 PM

Great buck Marko :)

antler1 11-12-2014 07:41 PM

Buck Down Nov. 1

2 Attachment(s)
First day of rifle season I was still bow hunting and had gone to a virgin stand that I had left alone all season waiting for the right wind. On my second rattling sequence I heard the subtle crunching of deer hooves coming through the leaves under the spruces to my right. I peered down through the spruce branches and saw a fork horn WT buckling first . He stopped but I could still hear another deer coming. In short order a heavy bodied 4x4 came into view and hit the scent stream of one of my upwind scent pods. He stopped and curled his nose up and then his tail lifted up and started waving back and forth. He was stopped right where I wanted him to be, giving me a broadside 12 yard shot. His morning changed in a split second as the muzzy blew through him. He bounced about 40 yards away and came to a dead stop. In a couple more seconds he just tipped over- heart shot. The fork horn stayed close by and soon another 4x4 buck come in. He stared at the fallen buck for a while , then he too came right in to my stand. I filmed them with my phone for a while until they lost interest and wandered off. Just had some back straps tonight. Mmmmmm.

arrow_baron 11-12-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antler1 (Post 2614438)
First day of rifle season I was still bow hunting and had gone to a virgin stand that I had left alone all season waiting for the right wind. On my second rattling sequence I heard the subtle crunching of deer hooves coming through the leaves under the spruces to my right. I peered down through the spruce branches and saw a fork horn WT buckling first . He stopped but I could still hear another deer coming. In short order a heavy bodied 4x4 came into view and hit the scent stream of one of my upwind scent pods. He stopped and curled his nose up and then his tail lifted up and started waving back and forth. He was stopped right where I wanted him to be, giving me a broadside 12 yard shot. His morning changed in a split second as the muzzy blew through him. He bounced about 40 yards away and came to a dead stop. In a couple more seconds he just tipped over- heart shot. The fork horn stayed close by and soon another 4x4 buck come in. He stared at the fallen buck for a while , then he too came right in to my stand. I filmed them with my phone for a while until they lost interest and wandered off. Just had some back straps tonight. Mmmmmm.

Congrats on a great buck!! Hopefully I can do the same this next week!!

ThreeD 11-12-2014 10:41 PM

Congrats Antler1. Sounds like a perfect hunt. Well done.

Leather burner 11-13-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antler1 (Post 2614438)

Nice work! Although you pulled the shot, you didn't quite shoot through the center of the heart.

recurve 11-14-2014 03:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
November 3rd I went to set up a camera and took my bow and rattling horns along to try my luck. It was -8c that morning so the grass was froze and very crunchy. I snuck just inside the tree line and did a light rattling sequence and heard something coming right away. By the time i put the horns down and got an arrow knocked I had a buck less then 10 yards. I drew on him and he saw me and bolted. I was able to stop him at 40 yards and made a clean double lung shot.

Settle&release 11-15-2014 11:39 AM

Great buck! Congrats!

BigRackLover 11-17-2014 12:31 AM

Here is the buck I rattled in today.

16 meter shot. Picked the last rib on quartering away opportunity. He went 60 meters, tumbled 20 of them (according to the blood trail). Rattled him in (twice). 8:30 am Nov 16

coyotekiller 11-17-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRackLover (Post 2619957)
Here is the buck I rattled in today.

16 meter shot. Picked the last rib on quartering away opportunity. He went 60 meters, tumbled 20 of them (according to the blood trail). Rattled him in (twice). 8:30 am Nov 16

Nice buck congrats :)

Pdub 11-19-2014 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my first elk(taken yesterday) and second big game harvest in my short 5 seasons of hunting.

I spied a sizeable herd, about 50+, in an open field, yet couldn't observe all of them at once due to my position behind a small clump of trees. They were about 100 yds out and I was able to watch a few cows and a spiker walking around, from my position without moving around and possibly spooking them.

After a few minutes with my heart racing and wondering how to proceed I hear a twig snap and turn my head about 75 deg. and notice some brown bodies walking in my direction through some branches of the trees I was hiding behind. They were about 50 yards away and moving with determination.

I quickly swivel and range the only shooting lane available to me from where I was. As luck would have it a few cows strutted right through the lane. I was about to take a shot when I spied some antlers coming into view through my periphery. The antlers stopped on the far side of two cows between us, but just as he stopped the two cows obligingly moved out of the way. I let the arrow fly and it hit it's mark, not a pass through but a good shot as I saw lots of blood streaming from the entrance wound, as he ran away. Just as he was about to disappear out of view I saw the sideways stagger and knew he was mine.

I've been hunting in this bow only zone for my whole "career" and every year I see more and more people out, which is good to see, but at the same time decreases my odds. I am truly grateful to be able to do what I do, and this year I was lucky enough to get this guy.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic...30 yrd shot, right side, Grim Reaper Whitetail Special Stainless Steel 3-blade broadhead(100gr), <60 yds from impact site, 7X7(barely on one side)

Thanks to you and this forum for being a great resource, and providing some entertaining dialogue at times :)

Good luck for the rest of the season!

backyard 11-19-2014 04:49 PM

that's a great kill

BigRackLover 11-19-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdub (Post 2623581)
Here's my first elk(taken yesterday) and second big game harvest in my short 5 seasons of hunting.

I spied a sizeable herd, about 50+, in an open field, yet couldn't observe all of them at once due to my position behind a small clump of trees. They were about 100 yds out and I was able to watch a few cows and a spiker walking around, from my position without moving around and possibly spooking them.

After a few minutes with my heart racing and wondering how to proceed I hear a twig snap and turn my head about 75 deg. and notice some brown bodies walking in my direction through some branches of the trees I was hiding behind. They were about 50 yards away and moving with determination.

I quickly swivel and range the only shooting lane available to me from where I was. As luck would have it a few cows strutted right through the lane. I was about to take a shot when I spied some antlers coming into view through my periphery. The antlers stopped on the far side of two cows between us, but just as he stopped the two cows obligingly moved out of the way. I let the arrow fly and it hit it's mark, not a pass through but a good shot as I saw lots of blood streaming from the entrance wound, as he ran away. Just as he was about to disappear out of view I saw the sideways stagger and knew he was mine.

I've been hunting in this bow only zone for my whole "career" and every year I see more and more people out, which is good to see, but at the same time decreases my odds. I am truly grateful to be able to do what I do, and this year I was lucky enough to get this guy.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic...30 yrd shot, right side, Grim Reaper Whitetail Special Stainless Steel 3-blade broadhead(100gr), <60 yds from impact site, 7X7(barely on one side)

Thanks to you and this forum for being a great resource, and providing some entertaining dialogue at times :)

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Woohooo! way to go!

kujoseto 11-19-2014 08:15 PM

Amazing, Pdub.
No need to apologize for the pic. Thanks for sharing!
It's about the experience, and it seems you've enjoyed about as good as it gets. Congrats :)

stickflicker 11-19-2014 08:30 PM

So awesome!!! Congrats on that guy Pdub. :sHa_shakeshout:I have never killed an elk, bow or rifle. I was ready to take a cow at 20 yards once and I heard a bull bugle just out of site so I waited, similar to your story. The bull never came into range and I am still waiting for my first elk. Congratulations!!:happy0180:

depopulator 11-22-2014 06:17 AM

Rut was going off on Nov 21, and I was able to grease this joker at 35 yards.
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...DSCN2028_2.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMG_2361.jpg

shakeyleg02 11-22-2014 06:42 AM

Good looking .buck depop ...congrats

Lefty-Canuck 11-30-2014 09:36 PM

Thanks everyone for making this a great thread with lots of great stories and pictures....still 1 week for the Strathcona hunters....maybe a couple more pics to add.

LC

Lefty-Canuck 09-01-2015 05:49 PM

Bump the memories for good mojo!

LC