Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I got this buddy.... (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=141450)

SmokinJoe 07-18-2012 06:13 PM

I got this buddy....

So I got this buddy, he is a treaty Indian, he comes from a large family, and he loves to hunt, as it ha been handed down to him from generation to generation for hundreds of years. This year he plans on hunting his usual moose, a couple deer, an elk, and big horn sheep. When he hunts, he only hunts in the fall when season is open, and he uses the required weapon (eg if it's bow season he does not use a rifle). He pretty much abides by all the laws that non native hunters abide to with the exeption that he does not purchase a tag, or put in for draws. However he also does not kill a sheep every year, and he only kills mature males and respects laws that he does not have to such as elk 6 point or larger. He is a firm believer in conservation and never ever takes more than he and his family need, in fact takes less than what his family could use... He is a hard working business owner, attends church regularly, and lives off of the reserve, paying a mortgage and sends his kids to school every day. Just a Stand up kind of guy.

What are your takes on this? He has talked to some game wardens and they don't seem to have an answer.. Please keep your comments tasteful, base argument on facts, and keep in mind this is a public forum.

Thanks...

Redfrog 07-18-2012 06:15 PM

I.b.t.l.:)

BackPackHunter 07-18-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 1525953)
I.b.t.l.:)

???? what does that mean

catnthehat 07-18-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe (Post 1525948)

What are your takes on this? He has talked to some game wardens and they don't seem to have an answer.. Please keep your comments tasteful, base argument on facts, and keep in mind this is a public forum.

Thanks...

My take on what?
What is the question that the wardens cannot answer?

Cat

marlin1 07-18-2012 06:23 PM

agree or disagree doesn't really matter . He's following the rules and excersizing his rights , not much anyone can say

catnthehat 07-18-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackPackHunter (Post 1525960)
???? what does that mean

It means that Redfrog is getting his two cents in first, knowing full well that this is going to turn into a sh&t storm real fast and the thread locked down about as fast!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

7 REM MAG 07-18-2012 06:24 PM

what would you like an opinion on? if he is hunting for sustenance why does it sound like he is almost trophy hunting? if he's hunting to feed his family and thats it shouldn't he shoot does/ewes/cows? i have no problem with native hunting rights except for the ones that sustenance hunt for trophy animals, you want to sustain your family shoot does/cows/ewes, you want to trophy hunt then put in for draws like everyone else

BackPackHunter 07-18-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 1525964)
It means that Redfrog is getting his two cents in first, knowing full well that this is going to turn into a sh&t storm real fast and the thread locked down about as fast!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

I think you may be on to something there.:thinking-006:

SmokinJoe 07-18-2012 06:27 PM

His questions were based on what a wardens opinions were about him choosing to only harvest mature males, as opposed to killing females, once again he believes in conservation, doesn't want to hurt population.

Personally I don't think were offending anyone and would like to keep it that way.

BackPackHunter 07-18-2012 06:35 PM

I like the Alaska rules for native hunting

lake side 07-18-2012 06:38 PM

He is well within his rights to do so. I personally see no problem with it is long as he is not abusing his position. I am sure there will be a few here who will disagree but given the oppertunity some would probably do the same.....

LS

Speckle55 07-18-2012 06:39 PM

he is just following the rules and is doing what every hunter does.. good on him ......kill a female and you kill 5 offspring or more and 2 of them would of been males..

David:)

ishootbambi 07-18-2012 06:39 PM

it sounds like you are almost living within the same guidelines as the rest of albertans joe. i see no reason why you shouldnt.

kinda like chris rock saying black guys shouldnt be wanting a pat on the back for taking care of their kids and having a job. thats what youre supposed to do.

there would be less racism in the world if there wasnt legislation forcing it on us.

pottymouth 07-18-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackPackHunter (Post 1525979)
I like the Alaska rules for native hunting

ok, i'll bite. Whats the Alaska rules?

Roughneck71 07-18-2012 06:43 PM

why?

if hes following the rules 6 point or whatever and hes a buisness owner and so upstanding, why not just buy the damn tags? no questions then or discussion
Darrell

SmokinJoe 07-18-2012 06:45 PM

@ISB. I know the whole chris rock thing, I'm just preventing someone from saying something stupid,

SmokinJoe 07-18-2012 06:47 PM

Just because a guy is a business owner doesn't mean he is rich.. His thoughts on that are both as a treaty obligation as well as he says srd does enough stupid stuff with his tax dollars.

BackPackHunter 07-18-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottymouth (Post 1525993)
ok, i'll bite. Whats the Alaska rules?

skull plate must be broken.... food not trophy
pick whatever animal you like, if its male you must brake the skull plate

lake side 07-18-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughneck71 (Post 1525996)
if hes following the rules 6 point or whatever and hes a buisness owner and so upstanding, why not just buy the damn tags? no questions then or discussion
Darrell

Because he is not required by law to due so.

LS

SmokinJoe 07-18-2012 06:53 PM

Nothing wrong with breaking the skull plate, he keeps his horns, but usually in his garage in a pile. He don't like hanging animals in his house, his grandfathers told him that it was not very respectful to the animals that fed his family.

whitetail Junkie 07-18-2012 06:56 PM

I 100% Support your Friend and native hunting rights in Canada!....JMO

Dunezilla 07-18-2012 06:57 PM

No big deal he is in his rights. Seems to me that fellow has great respect for wild life & does not abuse his rights.

ishootbambi 07-18-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe (Post 1526017)
Nothing wrong with breaking the skull plate, he keeps his horns, but usually in his garage in a pile. He don't like hanging animals in his house, his grandfathers told him that it was not very respectful to the animals that fed his family.

why play coy joe? you know what your "friend's" granddaddy said........cmon man, you are talking about you.

SmokinJoe 07-18-2012 07:06 PM

I'm actually not talking about me... I put in for my draws, got the two I wanted, had enough priority, it's my cousin lol

SmokinJoe 07-18-2012 07:08 PM

But I'm a little different too tho, I eat the meat but I'm a straight trophy hunter. Therefore I buy the tags.

JBE 07-18-2012 07:35 PM

I don't care who it is, buy tags and hunt by the regulations

Big Daddy Badger 07-18-2012 07:35 PM

To be honest i think the whole idea is a bit out of touch anymore.
Maybe it should be re-worked a bit in the interest of protecting sensitive species better.
Besides how many native guys really need to sustenance hunt nowadays?

That said...if he does...he does and it is his right and he seems to be ethical about it so why not?
I'd support a free tag to anyone that needs it if it came down to it.

I think a lot of the hard feelings that sometimes exist are only due to the attention that the few bad apples bring onto an otherwise honest and fair community.

Good luck to him this fall.

SmokinJoe 07-18-2012 08:18 PM

As a treaty Indian myself, I also believe the system needs to be re-worked a bit, and a guy would be surprise how many people depend on the first nations hunting rights,, especially in some of the community's that are quite a ways from city centers. If anything it would be nice to have some sort of reporting system, to help srd in producing accurate hunting reports.

As first nations people we are proud people, we have the utmost respect for mother nature and the country we live in and all it's laws. Unfortunately I can't speak for a few bad apples, but neither can allot of people in other communities.

muledeerking 07-18-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe (Post 1526154)
As a treaty Indian myself, I also believe the system needs to be re-worked a bit, and a guy would be surprise how many people depend on the first nations hunting rights,, especially in some of the community's that are quite a ways from city centers. If anything it would be nice to have some sort of reporting system, to help srd in producing accurate hunting reports.

As first nations people we are proud people, we have the utmost respect for mother nature and the country we live in and all it's laws. Unfortunately I can't speak for a few bad apples, but neither can allot of people in other communities.

Ok. well in Alberta if you buy every tag and fallow white man laws.There is still way more enough to feed your family and then some. So really what is the deal if you buy a tag or not? I see changes need to be made to these laws.

Big Daddy Badger 07-18-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe (Post 1526154)

Absolutely.