Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Slugs (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=131159)

Smokercraft 04-26-2012 02:48 PM

Slugs

Planning on doing some backcountry fishing this summer at a few locations where there's a good chance we could run into some bears.

Obviously the first line defense will be common sense regarding food storage and fish cleaning, but should the worst case scenario present itself I'd like to be prepared.

My options for defense are a .22, .243, 7MMRM, and a 12 guage 870 express mag.

Obviously the only thing that will stop a ****ed off bear in his tracks is the 870, but I have zero experience with slugs, only used the 870 for waterfoul and clay pigeons.

Looking for some recommedations as far as brand and size (the 870 accepts 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 inch shells).

Thanks

fish_e_o 04-26-2012 02:57 PM

take the 22 that way if you see a rabbit you can make rabbit stew!!!
also it's great for hiking as 100 rounds takes up very little space

99% of the time it's the loud noise that scares the bear anyway.

observe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3VdxHvQqsk

6tmile 04-26-2012 02:58 PM

If you can find them Brenneke are the best, but hard to find. 2 3/4 is all you need. Federal and remington slugs are good also. In tight quarters double or triple ought buckshot is devastating, My brother put down a blackie at about 3 yards with double ought and it was devastating to the bear, you could almost walk inside of the hole lol

sheephunter 04-26-2012 03:03 PM

Pretty well any "rifled" slug will do the job for close range self defence.

Twisted Canuck 04-26-2012 03:04 PM

Really, any slug will do the trick if put on target. You can spend a fortune on Uber Super Slugs and such, and that is fine if you are hunting deer and want a 2" group at 100 yrds.....but for bear defense? You better be shooting inside 50, maybe 25 yrds at a charging bear or it isn't self defense anymore, is it? And at that range, any huge hunk of lead that you put on target will be equally effective. Just my .02, but the cheapo Federal blue box slugs, in 2 3/4" or 3" work just fine, and I can hammer stumps all day out to 75 yrds with them. Close enough for government work in my book. Also, as mentioned, 00 Buck up close works wonders on changing a bears direction. I generally alternate buck and slugs in my BPS when out and about. Luckily, it is all theoretical to me, never had to use it on anything. But ohhhhh, the tempation sometimes. :)

alpining 04-26-2012 03:05 PM

Personally I recommend 2 3/4", 1oz slugs, from any of the major brands. Many (most?) people agree that 3" is unnecessary and 3 1/2" is overkill.

I go with cheap $5-6 per box slugs. Definitely no need for sabot rounds. Try a few different brands and pick the one that comes closest to your point of aim at your anticipated shooting ranges.

Hagalaz 04-27-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_e_o (Post 1412375)
take the 22 that way if you see a rabbit you can make rabbit stew!!!
also it's great for hiking as 100 rounds takes up very little space

99% of the time it's the loud noise that scares the bear anyway.

observe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3VdxHvQqsk

But there is always the chance that the proverbial dice are going to roll that tricky 1%.

PoppaW 04-27-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpining (Post 1412381)
Personally I recommend 2 3/4", 1oz slugs, from any of the major brands. Many (most?) people agree that 3" is unnecessary and 3 1/2" is overkill.

Not overkill at all. The extra speed produced ripps the soft lead apart and actually will have less affect on game. I always tried to buy brenneke slugs as they were harder and went straight through anything standing in the way. Price wise these were about the same as cheap ones from Win and Rem, just harder to find. If all I have is regular Walmart slugs then 2-3/4 is the way to go. no buckshot for me thanks.

bukwild 04-27-2012 08:15 AM

I put 2-3/4" rifled Winchester rackmaster slugs in my Mossberg 835 rifled barrel (I know, but they are the only slugs that are consistent through that barrel and I've spent hundreds trying to figure it out). I also use them in my 14" HP9 (Norinco 870 clone) with great grouping. They are inexpensive and the right tool for the job. By the way the first one in the mag is buckshot the last three are slugs.

spurly 04-27-2012 08:58 AM

slugs

I would use 2 SSG followed by a slug. ssg has about 8 pellets in 243 diam, so
multiple wound channells. shhot a peice of plywood with a slug, at 25yds, and you will have a hole the size of the slug, shoot the same peice of plywood at 25yds with ssg, and you will have a 5-6" hole. they are devastating.

Smokercraft 04-27-2012 10:28 AM

Thanks for the adivce, think I'll pick up some fed or win 2 3/4 for the next trip to the range just to get a feel for them.

PoppaW 04-27-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurly (Post 1413362)
I would use 2 SSG followed by a slug. ssg has about 8 pellets in 243 diam, so
multiple wound channells. shhot a peice of plywood with a slug, at 25yds, and you will have a hole the size of the slug, shoot the same peice of plywood at 25yds with ssg, and you will have a 5-6" hole. they are devastating.

I will use this for plywood defence. Bears need slugs.

Robmcleod82 04-27-2012 11:13 AM

The biggest reason I run 2 3/4 slugs is that I can fit an extra round in the tube. A bear will near cover 50 yards in the amount of time it will take you to shoulder your shotgun, in my opinion if you are shooting a bear in self defense it's going to be at a very uncomfortably close range.