Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Leupold VX-3 or Zeiss Conquest (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=66491)

Jon_Boy 08-16-2010 10:26 AM

Leupold VX-3 or Zeiss Conquest

Looking for a new scope and narrowed it down to one of these but can't decide. Would like your opinions! Looking at 3.5-10 x 40 / 44 (zeiss). Are there any reasons I should buy one over the other?

ww2269 08-16-2010 10:31 AM

I own both and the Ziess with the 44mm objective is still beter in low light conditions than the Leopold with a 50mm objective.

bigoldan43 08-16-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon_Boy (Post 654694)
Looking for a new scope and narrowed it down to one of these but can't decide. Would like your opinions! Looking at 3.5-10 x 40 / 44 (zeiss). Are there any reasons I should buy one over the other?

Tried them both, own Leupolds.
Both great, really great.
Given the choice, I'd go Leupold, strictly because of service, repairs, upgrades, warranty issues. Can't beat the Leupold warranty.

Zeiss has to go over seas as far as I know.

MountainTi 08-16-2010 10:35 AM

Superior optics vs. a warranty center in Alberta. Depends which one is more important to you. Personally I would go for the superior optics, but that's just me.

Arn?Narn. 08-16-2010 11:10 AM

If spending the same amount of $$$ independant of brand, I'd go Leuplod.

Friend bought a Zeiss Conquest...
He could have done better with his money IMO

timsesink 08-16-2010 11:23 AM

Tough call, very very simliar in quality. I would lean towards the Leupold due to their look, warranty and availability however it's like asking whats better a Ferrari or a Lamborgini, both are great it's all in what feels best for you.

whitetail Junkie 08-16-2010 01:01 PM

Zeiss

I own Four Leupolds and a Zeiss 4.5x14x44 and there is no comparison in quility when you compare the clarity of the glass on the zeiss to my Four leupolds.

I Will probably always go with zeiss from now on,however Istill like my leupolds and will keep them.I do think that the leupolds are more Durable\Ruged than the zeiss,so it's a tough call.

Papershredder 08-16-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie (Post 654835)
I own Four Leupolds and a Zeiss 4.5x14x44 and there is no comparison in quility when you compare the clarity of the glass on the zeiss to my Four leupolds.

I Will probably always go with zeiss from now on,however Istill like my leupolds and will keep them.I do think that the leupolds are more Durable\Ruged than the zeiss,so it's a tough call.

I had the same questions when Corlane/Rocky Mountain Rifles was putting together my new X-Bolt .300 WSM. I found that optically they were very similar but after asking more questions it came out that a low % Leupolds have had to go back for warranty issues over the years vs a bit higher % of Zeiss Conquests that have gone back since their introduction. By no means was I directed away from the Conquest; they did say it was an awesome scope. They said they just wanted to answer my questions with their own expierience. I've dealt with the same gunsmith there for years, so I do trust his info. In the end I decided to go with a VX3 4.5 x 14 x 40. I don't think a guy can make a bad choice with these 2 scopes.

Jon_Boy 08-16-2010 03:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Still don't know which way I'll go but I will have a new varmint gun in time for coyotes this winter and I'll probably put on the opposite brand that I buy now but with a little longer legs. Thanks again!

elkhunter11 08-16-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Zeiss has to go over seas as far as I know.
Zeiss Conquests are assembled and serviced in the USA.

markg 08-16-2010 05:42 PM

Ziess Vs Leupold

I have a couple of Ziess on varmint rifles. You cant beat the optics quality for the money. I love my Zeiss and wouldnt buy anything else. That said i dont know how they perform on the big magnums.

Homesteader 08-16-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 654960)
Zeiss Conquests are assembled and serviced in the USA.

Fair enough, but I'd still thinking sending a scope Stateside could be a hassle, or worse. I don't own a Conquest, but I'd definately consider one based on the price point. For now it's mostly Leupy's on my rifles.

Elkaholic6 08-16-2010 05:50 PM

I nailed my choice down to the 4.5-14x40 VX3 or Conquest 3.5-9x44. I ended up with the VX3. It was sooo hard to tell the difference in quality of glass. I liked the reticle and weight better on the VX3 and with the bigger size I couldnt go wrong. My next scope will probably be a Zeiss tho, just so I have both :sHa_shakeshout:

ishootbambi 08-16-2010 05:58 PM

there is no wrong answer there. decide which one's logo matches your gun better?

martinbns 08-16-2010 07:15 PM

I'm a big Conquest fan, I've owned several and love them. I am not a fan of Leupold scopes though.

It seems the reason people list for buying them is when they break they are easy to get fixed, not that they are great optically. I've had the current Zeiss scope I own on about 6 different guns, always holds zero, absorbs recoil excellent in low light, just a great scope.

Blade 08-16-2010 07:35 PM

my 2 cents

I have owned 19 leupold scopes 5 of them vx7 i thought they were the best not so!!!!!!i now own zeiss victory binos and swarovski z6 scopes in my opinion nothing compares to european optics.....today i own no leupolds...and never will again...try to get them to warrenty leupold in canada if you purchased a optic from the usa....a company should warrenty there product anywhere in the world....most do!!! like i said this is MY opinion and have owned the best and still do....luepold is nothing more than a stepping stone to ME........:fighting0030:

jaylow? 08-17-2010 08:09 AM

all my rifles have either a leupold or zeiss. cant really go wrong with either. i prefer my zeiss scopes though. and the rapid z reticle options dont hurt either.

sheephunter 08-17-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homesteader (Post 655055)
Fair enough, but I'd still thinking sending a scope Stateside could be a hassle, or worse. I don't own a Conquest, but I'd definately consider one based on the price point. For now it's mostly Leupy's on my rifles.

No need to ship it stateside...it goes straight to Gentec in Canada for service. Both Leupold and Zeiss have pretty simple warranty proceedures in Canada.....not that you should ever need them.

redranger15 08-17-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 655163)
I have owned 19 leupold scopes 5 of them vx7 i thought they were the best not so!!!!!!i now own zeiss victory binos and swarovski z6 scopes in my opinion nothing compares to european optics.....today i own no leupolds...and never will again...try to get them to warrenty leupold in canada if you purchased a optic from the usa....a company should warrenty there product anywhere in the world....most do!!! like i said this is MY opinion and have owned the best and still do....luepold is nothing more than a stepping stone to ME........:fighting0030:

Bought my leupold in the states and sent it to Korth to get the stiff ring fixed. Never was asked where I bought the scope. Service was fast and went with out a hitch.

Homesteader 08-17-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheephunter (Post 655585)
No need to ship it stateside...it goes straight to Gentec in Canada for service. Both Leupold and Zeiss have pretty simple warranty proceedures in Canada.....not that you should ever need them.

That's good to know, I just may have to try a Conquest next time I'm looking. But like you say, I've only ever sent one scope in for warranty, and it was a Bushnell, turnaround was slow, but they did replace it with a brand new scope, so no complaints about them either.

whitetail Junkie 08-17-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 655163)

No comparason with the Twilight factor between the two scopes.The Zeiss is a superior optic.At dusk i've looked through my vx-3,then my dad's 3x10x40 conquest it's like night and day.Big whitetail are often shot in Low Light condition's,so the glass on a rifle scope is very important to me!

However Leupold can still get the Job Done,so flip the Coin?

elkhunter11 08-17-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

I once had an American assembled scope involved in a horsewreck,so I sent it to a Canadian address to be repaired.The scope was then sent to the USA to their service center to be repaired.I didn't send it to the USA myself,but that is where it was repaired.

sheephunter 08-17-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 656020)
I once had an American assembled scope involved in a horsewreck,so I sent it to a Canadian address to be repaired.The scope was then sent to the USA to their service center to be repaired.I didn't send it to the USA myself,but that is where it was repaired.

As I said....no need to ship it stateside...:)

elkhunter11 08-17-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

As I said....no need to ship it stateside
But because it is going stateside to get repaired,and there is paperwork that needs to be done,it does take a little longer.

sheephunter 08-17-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 656046)
But because it is going stateside to get repaired,and there is paperwork that needs to be done,it does take a little longer.

But it's all taken care of by the nice folks at Zeiss....like I said, you ship to a Canadian address....:)

noneck180 08-17-2010 07:12 PM

You will have to excuse Elkhunter,,he is on a real **** people off kick..

Ziess FTW..

elkhunter11 08-17-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

You will have to excuse Elkhunter,,he is on a real **** people off kick..
Quite the statement,coming from the master himself.:rolleye2:

noneck180 08-17-2010 09:28 PM

You know if half the chit you type wasn't B.S..it would be worth while reading what you have to say..

How many Zeiss have you sent in for repair?? I already know the answer..but it should be entertaining what you have for a response.

fluxcore 08-17-2010 09:45 PM

I like Leaupy because of the options available like sending it in to have the turrets changed or updated or even made custom as well as the recticle options which Zeiss will not do after the purchase. Leaups also has extremely repeatable settings, I would consider a Zeiss 3X9X50 for hunting but ill stick to the leaupy for long range.

elkhunter11 08-17-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

How many Zeiss have you sent in for repair?
One Zeiss.It was damaged in a horsewreck,so it wasn't for warranty work,but Zeiss repaired it at no cost and sent it back prepaid.I was pleased with the service,and although it takes a little longer because the scopes have to be sent to the USA,I still prefer Zeiss over Leupold,where optical quality and brightness are a priority.