Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coyote skinner? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=332407)

CavinJ 10-29-2017 06:37 PM

Coyote skinner?

If anybody knows of a coyote skinner in the vermilion, Lloydminster, wainwright, vegerville, elk point area it would super appreciated if you would let me know!

Marty S 10-29-2017 06:48 PM

The old ones kinda got runned out of business...

(that's the rumour on the street)

CavinJ 10-29-2017 06:53 PM

That's what I heard. Just hoping I could find one skinning coyotes outside gets old fast when it's cold.

Redfrog 10-29-2017 06:56 PM

how did they get run out of business? are there no Hutterites skinning anymore?

Marty S 10-29-2017 07:06 PM

I think they decided not to skin any more. Somebody may have convinced them not to.

But usually when one guy shuts down, or outfit, another pops up and away you go. There's others around, but you want to check/ascertain that they can do the job. Ive seen some custom jobs that were nothing less than horrific, to such end that I felt obligated, as a fur auction receiving agent for NAFA, to point out to customers to stop using such services. HORRIFIC!!! like send the guy to Chinese prison for a week!!!!

OP, if you can track down Coy Coyote from stettler country, he might be able to point you in the right direction. Rumour is that he may be in semi retirement??? Seems like a lifer to me tho.

I try to keep tabs on custom skinners in the south to send guys to that want their fur put up.

CavinJ 10-29-2017 07:22 PM

Thanks marty.

Bushmaster 10-29-2017 07:24 PM

About 3 years ago, some "higher authority" came to the local colony and relieved the boss of his duties. They got very strict and got everyone back to the "rules". My guy had to destroy his shack, get rid of his stuff, etc. No trapping, hunting, etc. Things are starting to relax a bit but I'm not sure how far he'd go. And now he wants to buy coyotes, not just skin them.

HunterDave 10-29-2017 08:37 PM

It sounds like an opportunity for an enterprising individual if there’s a niche in the area. :)

Captainkip 11-04-2017 09:18 AM

Im learning how to do my own.

backman2 11-07-2017 08:15 PM

Coyote processing

See my thread about processing in my dads shop in Athabasca
Sam 780-689-8857

pikeman06 11-08-2017 12:12 AM

The hutts put up some nice fur. If I was a deer hunter with no interest in dealing with yotes I would sell them to them absolutely. If you are a trapper I wouldn't even entertain the thought. They can be a problem if you are trying to put up numbers and play by the rules anywhere close to a colony. Not being ignorant I'm sure certain canine guys know what I mean. It just brings out alot of dudes sipping beers and blasting yotes all winter long for a quick buck with no regard for permission or trappers etc. Certain areas are crawling with yotes my area is surrounded by big colonies and I hear they routinely ship 5 to 10 thousand dogs in a year. It screws with the market and affects the grade because as I said they put up nice fur I just wish I could get my skinning knife on a few more. Our area has nice fur but they are so scarce a good trapper would be hesitant to pursue them.

CavinJ 11-08-2017 08:58 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I got set up with a guy who's gonna handle my coyotes for me.

nobucks 11-08-2017 01:33 PM

I am also looking for a skinner. Anyone in the Grande Prairie area doing custom skinning of wolves and coyotes?