Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Could anyone give me a hand in Manning? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=331366)

4stringed 10-13-2017 06:43 PM

Could anyone give me a hand in Manning?

So story is, I came up to wmu 527 this weekend to try and fill an antlerless elk tag. 2 hr in i hit a rut along a logging road and bottom out my car and get it stuck. Spent the next 4 hours trying to engineer a fix and eventually went looking for help. Luckily an absolout saint stopped and gave me a hand but to no avail. So here I am in Manning trying to sort it out. My obvious solution is to get a tow truck to yank me out but it's about 40 minutes from Manning and I know what a kick in the teeth that bill will be, especially when I don't need an actual tow anywhere. The other option is maybe someone on this forum would be willing to come help me out with a tow rope and a truck, if you'd want to go hunting afterwards I'd split the meat with you if successful and buy you a case of beer regardless. Total shot in the dark here but I figure I'd ask before booking the tow truck tomorrow.
Please no mean comments, I already feel infinitely stupid and it's been a really long day
-Kelly

wildwoods 10-13-2017 06:45 PM

Hope you find some. Keep us posted

obsessed1 10-13-2017 07:01 PM

Have you tried using your jack to lift it out tire by tire? It's slow going but lift one tire at a time and put brush under to get enough ground clearance to drive out. I'm in GP right now so it's a bit far for me to give you a hand. Maybe someone a but more local will give you a hand

4stringed 10-13-2017 07:43 PM

Thanks for the input, I did try that, i couldn't get the front tires jacked up because of the way the rut was. I tried digging enough space to get it under but I only had my hatchet and it was frozen mud and after a couple close calls I decided it wasn't worth risking swinging the hatchet next to the tires (cause that's all I'd need is a slashed tire on top of things). The thin layer of snow covered up how deep the rut was but now that it's melted I look like a real moron trying to take that on with my car. There's a few other things I'd try if I had a way to get out there but being stranded in Manning (Which is a lovely little town btw) I don't have a lot of options
-Kelly

TBark 10-13-2017 08:48 PM

Hope it works out for you.
And show is a pic of a cow elk in your trunk too, or on your roof.

TBark

roper1 10-13-2017 08:50 PM

Which direction from Manning are you ?

4stringed 10-13-2017 09:00 PM

I'm staying in Manning for the night and the car is in near clear hills

4stringed 10-13-2017 09:12 PM

And when I say clear hills that's just what it says in Google maps, it's around the west part of the wmu on a logging road. I can pm you more details

roper1 10-13-2017 09:31 PM

PM sent.

sns2 10-13-2017 11:19 PM

Right on Roper

4stringed 10-13-2017 11:28 PM

Roper had a lead that didn't work out as the guy he knows is out hunting this weekend, I'm still looking for help

KegRiver 10-14-2017 12:11 AM

check you inbox

35 whelen 10-14-2017 06:31 AM

When you said car I'm guessing you're in a car unfortunately that's your first mistake good luck getting out keep us posted

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

obsessed1 10-14-2017 07:40 AM

Have you got out yet?

BCSteel 10-14-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 3643413)
When you said car I'm guessing you're in a car unfortunately that's your first mistake good luck getting out keep us posted

What's wrong with a car? I did a 7 day hunt this year with a lowered Subaru wrx. Left with a few grouse and a deer in the back. Then went to BC and loaded up on salmon.

1899b 10-14-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCSteel (Post 3643449)
What's wrong with a car? I did a 7 day hunt this year with a lowered Subaru wrx. Left with a few grouse and a deer in the back. Then went to BC and loaded up on salmon.

Yup it can be done but you just need to be extra careful and judge your terrain properly...

ROA 10-14-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCSteel (Post 3643449)

I did it back when I was starting out in life and it was all that I had that was road worthy at the time. Was also new to northren albarta and didn't know what I was getting into.... So, to answer your question "whats wrong with a car?" My answer "Everything" Mine wasent 4 wd either, but yes I did make it work-ish and no I would never ever do it again.

Oh and sorry OP I live to far away to give you a pull other wise I would.

35 whelen 10-14-2017 09:10 AM

I also used to hunt with a car and had to walk out 20-plus miles for a tow that's why it's a mistake unless you're totally prepared even then I've been stuck in trucks but never had to walk too far LOL

sns2 10-14-2017 09:14 AM

We all need to remember

We all need to remember what it was like when we were younger, couldn't afford what we wanted, and had different priorities. There isn't a guy on this forum that would rather hunt out of a car, but the reality is that you do whatever you need to do,especially when you are younger. Some of my best hunting trips ever were in a 1990 Toyota Tercel coupe. Fit two deer in the trunk one time. Horns and hooves hanging out everywhere. LOL.

colour86 10-14-2017 09:19 AM

cars work fine, hatchbacks even better. its just comes to access with a car which is the issue here I would assume. Need clearence and larger tires to get into most areas. All depends on your hunting area, there are a few areas I go to on farmland where a car would do just as good as a truck unless your after a moose or something.

Redfrog 10-14-2017 09:25 AM

Looks like this thread headed in the rhubarb with the car. Not very helpful.

Zip 10-14-2017 09:34 AM

I hope things worked out okay and you got your car back out onto good roads once again...I just moved away from peace River area in August...or I would have gladly drove up to help ya..I sure hope somebody stepped up and helped out...good luck.
Zip

FellSwoop 10-14-2017 09:45 AM

If you do need a row, Randy at Manning Collision is a decent fellow. He helped me our a few years ago when I was car hunting and dropped a transmission.

4stringed 10-14-2017 09:49 AM

I've had a couple leads but nothing has panned out yet. I'm just headed out to the hardware store to see if I can get a camp shovel and some 2x6s. If I can get the Jack under the front wheels I think I can get it out. I just didn't have a shovel to do it with. If I can find what I think I need I might just need a ride out there.
-Kelly

35 whelen 10-14-2017 09:58 AM

If things don't work out and you need money for a tow I can donate $50 to the cost

Canadasnowman 10-14-2017 10:00 AM

Sorry I am unable to help, if I were any where near you I'd jump at it. Not a fun situation to be in, been there done it, brand new truck, stuck for 8 hours, till a GOutfitter helped us many years ago.

All the best to you, I hope some one helps you. and good on ya getting out even with a car. Shat happens.

aardvaark 10-14-2017 10:40 AM

If it was me - -

I'm somewhat familiar with that area as I've hunted there for many seasons now. I'd help you but I'm not there and won't be until about Nov15 and you'll be out by then.

Go to a gas station or restaurant and chat up some hunters (they're not hard to spot), and try to convince them to come out and help you. I've met quite a few hunters over the years that are really decent guys. You might have to ask a few of them, but I'm sure that would work.

Diligence 10-14-2017 10:45 AM

Another option

...find a local church tomorrow morning and tell your story...might have some good luck. I had friends who have done that before in similar situations in a foreign land.

Mountain Guy 10-14-2017 10:59 AM

A tow job won't break the bank.
Check out the reference someone posted.
Sometimes you need to do what you have to do.

BCSteel 10-14-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROA (Post 3643465)
I did it back when I was starting out in life and it was all that I had that was road worthy at the time. Was also new to northren albarta and didn't know what I was getting into.... So, to answer your question "whats wrong with a car?" My answer "Everything" Mine wasent 4 wd either, but yes I did make it work-ish and no I would never ever do it again.

Oh and sorry OP I live to far away to give you a pull other wise I would.

So other than your superiority complex, nothing is wrong with hunting from a car.