Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Truck on bottom of Carson Lake ?? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=160640)

Crankyfish 12-21-2012 09:48 AM

Truck on bottom of Carson Lake ??

Just wondering if any one has herd any thing about the truck that was suppose to of went through the ice on Carson lake in 20' of water.

Zanzibar 12-21-2012 10:08 AM

I read on another forum that they are still trying to get it out.

harrydude 12-22-2012 12:51 AM

Call brooks towing they will travel and will get it out

deanmc 12-22-2012 01:02 AM

There was a guy last week looking for divers to recover a pickup on the Facebook buy and sell. Have not heard anything definite from a first hand source.
Divers can get down and hook it but to what if there is not enough ice?
Might drive out and have a look tomorrow.

Zanzibar 12-22-2012 08:44 AM

I heard that its a Superduty. I would think with an Aqua vu and a big hook on a cable , you could hook something substantial enough to yard it out of there. I would think there are pretty big fines for leaving stuff underwater very long?

Sloughsharkjigger 12-22-2012 08:56 AM

Huge money if divers get involved. From what I understand it could run upwards of 15k plus the cost of the vehicle. Hope insurance covers it.

Alberta Bigbore 12-22-2012 09:59 AM

Unbelievable. Its too early. Lol.

bearbait 12-22-2012 10:17 AM

yup still down there. 1 tonn on 6" of ice = lots of cash to recover. i think you pay a fine for each day it is down there as well.

Paul C 12-22-2012 10:32 AM

Pics

2 Attachment(s)
Pics of Truck.

Cal 12-22-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul C (Post 1763281)
Pics of Truck.

So the truck is not actualy on the bottom?

EZM 12-22-2012 10:42 AM

A one ton truck loaded with two quads - 10,000lbs............

6" of solid ice with a capacity of about 3600lbs ...........

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Next time I bet he will park his truck in the parking lot use his quads ............ anywhere on that lake is a 5 minute ride with the quads.

Maybe unloading the quads takes to much effort.

I am really having trouble understanding this one. I'm glad nobody got hurt but I have to shake my head.

Mudder Man 12-22-2012 10:42 AM

Man maybe he could of taken a bigger load for his maiden Voyage you think?

MM

LCCFisherman 12-22-2012 10:51 AM

And the dunce cap goes to!!!

Zip 12-22-2012 10:56 AM

Those guys should both shake their heads alittle...driving out on that ice with such a big load just to try and get closer to the fish..ummm! I wonder if they hunt from the window of that truck as well.
I once saw a full sized grader go through the ice on the Mackenzie River right beside Inuvik...the guy crawled out the escape hatch in the roof and he still got good and soaked before he managed to get to shore..all we could see of the grader was about 2 feet of it sticking outa the hole it made...he was trying to plow the ice road between Inuvik and Tuk when this happened..

Kim473 12-22-2012 11:01 AM

Hmmmmm, I don't see any tire tracks in those pics. A'm I just missing them?

AxeMan 12-22-2012 11:05 AM

Old pic taken in the spring of 2008 but it still shows what can happen on the ice.

Melted snow on the lake and no snow in the trees was a clue too.
Still Carson lake though.

Pincherguy 12-22-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Pics of Truck.

Welllllllllll, me's athinkin'! If you took the time to load the quads to go fishin'.
Why not take the time to unload them and drive them on to the ice?:sign0161: At the least they could lhave drilled a couple of test holes to check for ice thickness. Anyway serves them right for being stupid.
PG

Cal 12-22-2012 11:14 AM

LOL I remember watching one go through the ice on Coal lake, probably in the mad scramble out the windows the windshield wipers got turned on. So there the truck sat up to its roof in water with the windshield wipers running. In case those guys didnt feel stupid enough there were quite a few comments allong the lines of "Not sure those things can get rid of that much water!" getting thrown around.

On a side note I found myself on real thin ice once, at Chain lakes there was a pretty decent looking truck trail headed out onto the lake so I followed them out and punched a hole. I had about 8" of ice under me! It took me awhile to figure out that all the tracks had been made by the same guy driving out to his favorite spot, had I met the guy or seen the half dozen empty Crown Royal bottles scattered around his fishing spot I would have never drove out. Be carefull out there, you can never use too much caution at this time of year.

deanmc 12-22-2012 11:16 AM

Not an excuse for falling through the ice but it sounds like some people need a reminder that neither quads or snowmobiles are allowed in Carson/Pegasus park.

Oops wrong again! lol

Quote:

Snowmobiling: access to lakes only; snowmobiling is not permitted elsewhere in the park; snowmobile staging is permitted from boat launch parking lots.

bearbait 12-22-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Pics of Truck.

thats not the truck

Hooter 12-22-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloughsharkjigger (Post 1763115)
Huge money if divers get involved. From what I understand it could run upwards of 15k plus the cost of the vehicle. Hope insurance covers it.

There isn't an insurance policy out there that will cover vehicles that go through the ice. None.

Shmag 12-22-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooter (Post 1763605)
There isn't an insurance policy out there that will cover vehicles that go through the ice. None.

Mine does !!!

waterhawk 12-22-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanmc (Post 1762943)
There was a guy last week looking for divers to recover a pickup on the Facebook buy and sell. Have not heard anything definite from a first hand source.
Divers can get down and hook it but to what if there is not enough ice?

I am a diver and have been involved with a couple of through the ice recoveries.

The first was a truck that was about 250 yards from shore. We did the extraction about three weeks after it went through. It was a truck with a trailer attached with a snow maching on the trailer. We cut a hole over where the truck went down with chain saws and used a back hoe to bash a large hole at the closest place on shore. Myself and another guy dove with a line from shore and came up at the hole over the truck. Guys on the ice took the line and pulled a cable through to us from shore. We hooked the cable to the front of the truck, which was heading towards shore. A tow truck and the back hoe pulled the truck along the bottem under the ice until it came out on shore.

The second was a quad that went down in about fourteen feet of water. It was about 100 yards from shore. I free dove on the quad. It was nose down and tail up. I tied onto the hitch with a stout rope. We used our chain saws to cut a fair sized hole at shore. We then cut a strip out of the ice about six inches wide from the shore to the hole above the quad and pushed the ice out of the strip down into the lake. We hooked onto the rope attached to the quad and winched it along under the ice to the hole at shore. The quad had been underwater for a week. We got it into a heated shop and had a mechanic drain all fluids and dry it out. $1200 later it was running fine.

Redfrog 12-22-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

mine does

waterninja 12-22-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

just got off the phone with ama insurance. took awhile but finally talked to an adjuster and he informed me that if you have collision or comprehensive car insurance you would defininetly be covered by one or the other. ice fishing is a common practise in alberta and he said that he has processed claims like that in the past.
on the other hand because you were not on a maintained road (unless an actuall ice road) you could be out of pocket for the tow out of the lake but even that can be claimed under your ins. policy.

wildcat111 12-22-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

mine does also

kispiox 12-22-2012 06:25 PM

Mine too( Johnson Insurance)

Lornce 12-22-2012 06:48 PM

and mine

thumper 12-22-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanmc (Post 1762943)

Maybe .... walk out? :)

conehead 12-22-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

mine does also