Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How to fix braided line slipping on reel? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=330940)

slamilton 10-07-2017 03:43 PM

How to fix braided line slipping on reel?

I have 8lb braid on one reel and 30lb on another. Problem is that both lines slip on the reel. What do others do to prevent this? I make sure to put it on with tension and I have redone a few times but this keeps happening. I cant remember the brands, Suffix maybe, but was decent quality stuff.

genno 10-07-2017 03:45 PM

Start with a mono as a backing and a a few wraps of it, then tie your braid to the mono

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dweb 10-07-2017 03:52 PM

Use mono for a few wraps then double uni knot to your braid and finish spooling , also you can wrap electrical tape on the spool so the braid has something to bite into .... Or buy a pfluger they come braid ready spools now lol!

scel 10-07-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slamilton (Post 3638746)
I have 8lb braid on one reel and 30lb on another. Problem is that both lines slip on the reel. What do others do to prevent this? I make sure to put it on with tension and I have redone a few times but this keeps happening. I cant remember the brands, Suffix maybe, but was decent quality stuff.

I do not know if this is the right way, but this is the what has worked for me.

Tie a uni-knot (a slip knot) on the braid. Keep the loop open. fold the loop back on itself 3 or 4 times, making 3 or 4 wraps around the spool before cinching up the knot. This way, you have 3 or 4 counter-turned wraps with pressure on each other

npauls 10-07-2017 04:28 PM

Put a small piece of tape to hold the knot to the spool and reel all the line back on.

DiabeticKripple 10-07-2017 04:50 PM

i put my reels in the freezer for a while to shrink the bob, then i wrap some electrical tape around the first 3 wraps of line, then spool the whole thing.

huntsfurfish 10-07-2017 05:09 PM

I put on what ever amount of superline I wish to use(some reels have only 50 yds) then I fill the rest of the spool with mono(about 1/8th in from spool lip). Run on to same spool if I have one and if not I run to a spare line spool then back to another spare line spoon then back to the reel I want it on. Bit of work but you get proper amount on the spool. Can save you money this way.

Otherwise I usually run a slight bed of mono, but have used the tape way of doing it. Both work well.

cdkeim 10-07-2017 05:46 PM

Running some mono mono first and then double uni knots to your braided line is easy to do, prevents slippage and saves you some money on how much expensive braided line you need to spool. :)

burbotman 10-07-2017 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dweb (Post 3638754)
Use mono for a few wraps then double uni knot to your braid and finish spooling , also you can wrap electrical tape on the spool so the braid has something to bite into .... Or buy a pfluger they come braid ready spools now lol!

One wrap electrical tape, used this for years works great

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 3638793)
i put my reels in the freezer for a while to shrink the bob, then i wrap some electrical tape around the first 3 wraps of line, then spool the whole thing.

Interesting, will have to add this to the routine. Makes sense

thumper 10-07-2017 11:10 PM

I use the electric tape wrap around the empty spool too. Or better yet, a grippier 'plumbers tape' type if you have any.

slamilton 10-09-2017 08:27 AM

Thanks all.

densa44 10-09-2017 08:53 AM

Timber hitch?

That's what I used to use, before the uni knot was invented, it wasn't perfect but it worked for me.

jeprli 10-09-2017 09:13 AM

Small rubber band works. Any tape will leach out glue when exposed to water.

jednastka 10-09-2017 09:22 AM

jeprli; couldn't agree more. I just picked up a couple of reels at a garage sale, with spare spools. They had a mix of electrical tape, medical tape, and even bandaids used to provide this bite. The tape adhesive "leaked out" to cover the first few wraps, and severely weakened the line on the spool. I f the owner had given line to that point on a big fish, the line would have snapped. Cleaning up this mess was no easy task either! Any of the non-tape suggestions work well for me.

Vic

thumper 10-09-2017 12:29 PM

I haven't experienced that 'adhesive leaking' problem yet - but then again, I haven't been that deep into my backing on the tiddlers I've been catching! I think I'll strip some down to the spool and check. Thanks for the warning!

jeprli 10-09-2017 08:03 PM

It has nothing to do with size of fish. If you cast longer distances line picks up water and you end up with a soaked spool.

Fishwhere 10-10-2017 07:02 AM

Like all the other guys said you should have some electrical tape... but something se i picked up on is that youve filled your whole spool with braid. If you are doing that make sure that you actually need that much line. Most spools are normally large enough that its more cost effective to wrap 10-20 yards of mono to chew up a little bit of space before you put your braid on so its not so expensive.

Also, to save a litle more a guys can flip the line once if you want another brand new season on it. Every year, or second depending on how much you fish!

Good luck man!

Ps fishin hole will spool for you if youd like

slamilton 10-12-2017 07:47 AM

I never thought of flipping the line. I'll have to remember that.

stob 10-12-2017 02:47 PM

a healthy dollop of gorilla glue

Travco1 10-17-2017 10:04 PM

a couple wraps of hockey tape or shin pad tape

RavYak 10-18-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeprli (Post 3639851)
Small rubber band works. Any tape will leach out glue when exposed to water.

Never had any issues caused by tape glue leaching out on the 10+ reels I have braided line on.

Tape is the industry standard for securing braided line to a spool and almost everyone uses it as do almost all the stores that put line on for you.

Some tapes do have more glue and stickier glue then others. Electrical tape be a little slimy, duct tape can create a bit of a mess and scotch tape is tough to get off. My favourite is what I believe is hockey tape(pretty sure that is what The Fishin' Hole uses). It doesn't have a lot of sticky glue and it has a nice rough surface which the braid grabs onto good(you want to rely more on the friction then the tape stickiness).

I have used electrical tape, duct tape, hockey tape, scotch tape, heck even the little sticky pads that come on a spool of line. They all get the job done in but as mentioned the hockey tape is by far my favourite.

deercamp 10-19-2017 11:03 PM

there is little catches on side of spool, do your knot then go around each side of spool around the catches and carry on filling spool. works for me anyways

Sask Bearman 10-19-2017 11:27 PM

Electrical tape when you put the line on. If it ever slips when you are fishing, dunk the whole reel in the water for a bit and it is a quick fix.

SamSteele 10-20-2017 05:36 AM

I’ve been known to use the little piece of tape that holds the tag end of the new line to the spool that the line comes on. I put that piece on the reel spool and position the knot right over it. Seems to hold fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stugeogarcia 10-25-2017 12:42 PM

Piece of tape

Dewey Cox 10-25-2017 12:49 PM

Has anyone suggested using tape yet?

SNAPFisher 10-25-2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Cox (Post 3651816)
Has anyone suggested using tape yet?

Maybe but no one suggested Gorilla tape yet :innocent: