Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Recent court case nets suspension and fines (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=275431)

Lefty-Canuck 12-26-2015 06:49 PM

Recent court case nets suspension and fines

A game-hunting company run by two brothers from Spirit River has fallen afoul of Alberta's wildlife laws.

Blake Shmyr, 33, and Cordell Shmyr, 26, were charged following an investigation by Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement's Major Investigations and Intelligence into a white-tailed deer that was poached by an American visitor during a 2012 hunt with Big Tine Adventures, the Shmyrs' outfitter company.

The brothers appeared in Grande Prairie Provincial Court on Dec. 17, when Cordell Shmyr pleaded guilty to charges under the Wildlife Act of having a loaded firearm in a vehicle and unlawfully possessing wildlife. Following the guilty pleas, the Crown dropped the other charges, including those against Blake Shmyr.

According to the facts heard in court, Cordell Shmyr took an American client out on Nov. 10, 2012. During the hunt, the client shot a white-tailed deer from inside a vehicle parked on a road east of Sexmith. The investigation began shortly after, when the Grande Prairie Fish and Wildlife Office received a complaint about a deer being illegally killed, according to Alberta Justice spokesman Scott Sehested.

"As the case involved the illegal transport of wildlife across the Canada-U.S. border and into the state of Georgia, where the client of Big Tine Adventures resided, provincial investigators conducted a joint investigation with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, the state Office of the Attorney General and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service," Sehested said in an email.

The investigation took a long time because it crossed an international border and involved different jurisdictions, Sehested added. In June, 2014, the State of Georgia Department of Natural Resources seized the deer, which had by then been full-body mounted, and forfeited it to the Crown. The investigation wrapped up late that year.

Judge Morris Golden sentenced Cordell Shmyr to a fine of $12,000 and prohibited him from holding a guide designation or outfitter permit for two years.

Earlier in 2015, Blake Shmyr was sentenced on a separate charge under the Wildlife Act, after pleading guilty to providing false information in relation to a fraudulently obtained export permit for a black bear trophy to send to one of the outfitter's U.S. clients. Shmyr was fined $575 on May 11, 2015. A second charge, under the Criminal Code - impersonating someone to gain an advantage - was dropped.

"We thank the members of the public who called in the initial information that led to these convictions," Sehested said.

Any suspicious hunting or fishing activity can be reported to the 24-hour Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800.

bighunter85 12-26-2015 06:55 PM

Would someone just take these 2 out and teach them a lesson already what's it gunna take. Pull there privileges for life

elkhunter11 12-26-2015 06:56 PM

So one brother continues to run the outfit while the other is suspended, and it's business as usual. The investigation likely cost the taxpayers several times the fines that they have to pay.

Lefty-Canuck 12-26-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3083295)
So one brother continues to run the outfit while the other is suspended, and it's business as usual. The investigation likely cost the taxpayers several times the fines that they have to pay.

Would be interesting to see if they faced any other sanctions from their Governing body?

LC

deercamp 12-26-2015 07:10 PM

I follow the outfit on social media and no white tails were taken this year , maybe this has somethin to do with it

bchap22 12-26-2015 07:12 PM

This is the video of the deer i am assuming as the dates definitely line up and the client was from Georgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7H4ImEFlPk

elkhunter11 12-26-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3083304)
Would be interesting to see if they faced any other sanctions from their Governing body?

LC

:sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Positrac 12-26-2015 07:19 PM

So...should a guy wear regular camo or camo that blends in with the interior of the truck?

I bet my mom could make a mean set of camo out of a set of old seat covers I still have kicking around...

beaver hunter 12-26-2015 08:26 PM

Video removed

deercamp 12-26-2015 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Video is still on Facebook page, what a hog of a buck, 220"

Torkdiesel 12-26-2015 09:04 PM

Keep on Rolling Blake !!!!

LMFAO !!!

These guys just never learn. He's been a criminal since he got started. Sad really

dale7637 12-26-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3083304)

LC

Like!

300magman 12-26-2015 09:06 PM

Seeing how it's already full bodied, would make a heck of a decoy deer to get a few more guys blasting from the truck and without permission.....but with a buck that size, one could possibly argue entrapment, lol :scared0018:

bucksman 12-27-2015 01:12 AM

Wow, again....

dfrobert 12-27-2015 01:23 AM

Didn't see you posted this allready Lefty. Theses two will never learn. What's sad is they will be right back to their roots again next year.

Ultimate Predator 12-27-2015 06:35 AM

Don't worry APOS will discipline them !!HA RIGHT!

H380 12-27-2015 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3083414)
Keep on Rolling Blake !!!!

LMFAO !!!

These guys just never learn. He's been a criminal since he got started. Sad really

isnt that the truth .. especially after the big fuss this guy put up a couple years ago on here when he was accused . Came on supposedly as a friend of himself to stick up for him :thinking-006: and then it all hits the fan and gets washed away with a pittance fine . :snapoutofit: He'll resume business as usual all for U.S dollars .

Pudelpointer 12-27-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H380 (Post 3083624)
isnt that the truth .. especially after the big fuss this guy put up a couple years ago on here when he was accused . Came on supposedly as a friend of himself to stick up for him :thinking-006: and then it all hits the fan and gets washed away with a pittance fine . :snapoutofit: He'll resume business as usual all for U.S dollars .

Oh I remember that schmuck... what a weasel. So Big Tine Adventures is owned by these pecker-woods.

Keep sharing the name of the business, it helps prospective clients see what kind of slime they will be hiring.

But then again, maybe it's all part of a "Shmyr campaign" :sHa_sarcasticlol:

nube 12-27-2015 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator (Post 3083615)
Don't worry APOS will discipline them !!HA RIGHT!

Actually I noticed that one of them had their license taken away to guide and outfitt if I am not mistaken. First time I have heard of that.

elkhunter11 12-27-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3083815)
Actually I noticed that one of them had their license taken away to guide and outfitt if I am not mistaken. First time I have heard of that.

The question is : would that have happened if he was the sole owner of the outfit, instead of a partner in the business.? If he was the sole owner, what would have happened to the allocations for those two years?

There very well may have been a deal made because the other brother could continue running the business while the one was suspended.

martinnordegg 12-27-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3083815)

Yes that is the first time I have heard of it. Should happen more often. Wasn't APOS though...the Judge made a good decision. It's a start.

Big Red 250 12-27-2015 10:59 AM

As he lost his right to be a guide & outfitter, can he still go buy a hunting licence and be a hunter.

thetruth 12-27-2015 11:17 AM

Must have been a major plea bargain involved.

Wouldn't providing false or misleading information to obtain a Cites Permit fall under the Lacy Act? From my understanding that's instant no go to the US indefinitely for one and a huge fine.

Maybe my information is incorrect but a $575 slap on the wrist for brother number two doesn't add up at first glance..

deercamp 12-27-2015 12:30 PM

He will continue to sell hunts to Americans because at the end of the day hey want to kill a big deer and this guys averages are insane compared to most . And lots of Americans don't care how they get trophy ,
Legal or not.

Sigg 12-27-2015 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deercamp (Post 3083961)
He will continue to sell hunts to Americans because at the end of the day hey want to kill a big deer and this guys averages are insane compared to most . And lots of Americans don't care how they get trophy ,
Legal or not

If there's a demand for something, there's usually someone with no morals to provide that good or service.

elkhunter11 12-27-2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deercamp (Post 3083961)
Legal or not.

+1 McMahon stayed in business after several convictions under both the Wildlife Act, and the Criminal Act. It would be hard to believe that none of his clients were aware of his convictions.

Redfrog 12-27-2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3083295)

Maybe it would help if the costs of the investigations, charges, trial etc. were tallied up and charged to the crooks, plus a fine or jail time. I like to see loss of vehicles and auction saled to help defray the costs of prosecution.

"And lots of Americans don't care how they get trophy ,
Legal or not."

It's not confined to Americans, or even hunters/fishermen. Some people don't care about the legalities of acquiring pot or anything else. Face it, some folks have trouble doing the right thing.

Catch them , tune them up and hope they learn the lesson.

winger7mm 12-27-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudelpointer (Post 3083810)
Oh I remember that schmuck... what a weasel. So Big Tine Adventures is owned by these pecker-woods.

Keep sharing the name of the business, it helps prospective clients see what kind of slime they will be hiring.

But then again, maybe it's all part of a "Shmyr campaign" :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Haaaa I see what you did there ;) lmao

"Hunt with BTA and you will get your buck, one way or another"

deercamp 12-27-2015 08:12 PM

Anybody remember when the American killed a sheep with his sidearm
In a national park? Spoke with a guy that was one of several guys helping with a ministers hunt, and the American was trying everything to get the guys to try push sheep off the mine, long ropes , sheep dogs you name it he tried it.

winger7mm 12-27-2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deercamp (Post 3084314)
Anybody remember when the American killed a sheep with his sidearm
In a national park? Spoke with a guy that was one of several guys helping with a ministers hunt, and the American was trying everything to get the guys to try push sheep off the mine, long ropes , sheep dogs you name it he tried it.

I dont know for sure, only going by what I see on tv. But as far as restricted weapons go, isnt it a huge huge PIA to bring them across the border?? Like almost cant bring them in kinda thing??