Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Thanksgiving on the SSR (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=370848)

Stump thumper 10-15-2019 12:57 PM

Thanksgiving on the SSR

7 Attachment(s)
I have been talking about getting out on the SSR for sturgeon for years now and this weekend my wife, son and I decided it was time.. With Saturday being my first time ever on the river and first time fishing it, it took some time and exploring to find some good spots. We did find a couple good holes and got into some fish. Caught some dino’s and a few other species including a clam...
My son got to knock off a few from his bucket list including a sauger, burbot and a sturgeon, wife got to feel the power sturgeon have to!! The boy also landed a hog of a walleye! One great fishery for sure!

Stump thumper 10-15-2019 01:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some more

raw outdoors 10-15-2019 01:32 PM

Any tips on locating and rigging for those sturgeon. I would love to catch one I have gone down and tried a couple times with no luck.

mooseknuckle 10-15-2019 01:49 PM

Fantastic!! Great pics and great time out with the fam.

Thanks for sharing.

Stump thumper 10-15-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raw outdoors (Post 4040248)
Any tips on locating and rigging for those sturgeon. I would love to catch one I have gone down and tried a couple times with no luck.

Well one thing, owning a jet boat and being able to move around is a huge help. And also finding what they are biting on is key I think. The first day I was using store bought minnows and worms with no luck and managed to get some “locally sourced bait” as my son called on the second day, which I think helped.

On day 1 I anchored in a hole and wasn’t getting a bite and another boat anchored just below me where I was earlier and hooked a dino within the first 2 minutes.. As much as I was bummed I didn’t hook one, I felt positive that I was finding the right holes and maybe it was bait that was the difference..??

I use 7’6” and 8’ rods, 6000 series spinning reels spooled with 50 lb braid, a slip weight setup with a swivel and about a 25” of 40lb Dacron leader, I wouldn’t use any lighter line than that myself.

I have fished several times on the Fraser with guides and have learned a lot from them which has given me a lot more confidence to go out on my own.

Stump thumper 10-15-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseknuckle (Post 4040264)
Fantastic!! Great pics and great time out with the fam.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I go once a year to the Fraser for the whites, have for the last 5 years.. The wife now understands why I love these beautiful dinos so much and the strength they have.. She has always enjoyed fishing but now it is at a new level. And my son, well fishing has been his passion for awhile now and this just adds to his love for it!

mooseknuckle 10-15-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stump thumper (Post 4040267)
Thanks! I go once a year to the Fraser for the whites, have for the last 5 years.. The wife now understands why I love these beautiful dinos so much and the strength they have.. She has always enjoyed fishing but now it is at a new level. And my son, well fishing has been his passion for awhile now and this just adds to his love for it!

Just awesome. I have 4 kids and absolutely love the time we spend fishing, ive been doing a fly in trip for the last 9 years into northern sask. Summer 2020 im taking the wife and kids!! cant wait!! but fraser river dinos is on my bucket list for sure!

Red Bullets 10-15-2019 07:29 PM

Looks like a great day's fishing. Alberta's North and South Sask river systems are true gems for variety.

Rubbernoses do eat clams so you could have tried that clam for bait.

Stump thumper 10-15-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4040420)
Looks like a great day's fishing. Alberta's North and South Sask river systems are true gems for variety.

Rubbernoses do eat clams so you could have tried that clam for bait.

Ha, ya I read that the night after he caught that, and said just the same thing.. Didn’t even think of that at the time.. If it ever happens again, that’s exactly what I’m a gonna do..

Red Bullets 10-15-2019 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stump thumper (Post 4040432)
Ha, ya I read that the night after he caught that, and said just the same thing.. Didn’t even think of that at the time.. If it ever happens again, that’s exactly what I’m a gonna do..

If you are boating in clear water and on a sandy bottom in the rivers watch for long grooved lines in the sand. On one end or the other end of those grooved lines will be a clam/mussel. They migrate up creeks too.

Lines like in this pic.

Photo credit: Christine Dekker.