Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Here is how I paint my baits (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=425489)

Gbuss 09-22-2023 05:45 PM

Here is how I paint my baits

4 Attachment(s)
If you guys want to watch(I don't want to flood the forum with video links) how I paint my last bait go check it out. I posted about this pattren already but here are some shots of it on a rattle bait for winter I also just clear coated a perch rattle bait that I will post up once it is cure.

https://youtu.be/CxRd0EZ5w4s

58thecat 09-23-2023 08:41 AM

Very talented people out there.

If I painted, built my own lures I would cry when it got the first scratch, kinda like a new vehicle [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky buck 09-23-2023 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4662741)

If I painted, built my own lures I would cry when it got the first scratch, kinda like a new vehicle [emoji38]

Oh you could do it well enough to catch fish

Fish are far less picky about paint jobs than fisherman. I have caught tons of fish testing unpainted prototypes that are either white resin or sealed wood. So even a complete hack job can get the job done with a decent lure. I only stepped up my painting to appease customers

Gbuss you are off to a good start(I actually checked out some of your other stuff too) and odds are you will only get better. I don’t know if you have explored the different tricks with transparents and pearls. There is some neat things that can be done through layer or using finial scale patterns to blend a pattern.

The patterns I posted in your other thread are some of my basic ones but they catch fish and customers(musky guy ordered that batch)like them. I do have more complex patterns as well using some of the tricks above.

If you do get into blending layers more I recommend heat setting each layer it will save you grief

Either way looking good and really it’s an artistic thing so you really need to just find what tricks fit your style. There really isn’t a right or wrong style either and you just need to find what fits your style.

Gbuss 09-23-2023 10:46 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4662756)
Oh you could do it well enough to catch fish

Fish are far less picky about paint jobs than fisherman. I have caught tons of fish testing unpainted prototypes that are either white resin or sealed wood. So even a complete hack job can get the job done with a decent lure. I only stepped up my painting to appease customers

Gbuss you are off to a good start(I actually checked out some of your other stuff too) and odds are you will only get better. I don’t know if you have explored the different tricks with transparents and pearls. There is some neat things that can be done through layer or using finial scale patterns to blend a pattern.

The patterns I posted in your other thread are some of my basic ones but they catch fish and customers(musky guy ordered that batch)like them. I do have more complex patterns as well using some of the tricks above.

If you do get into blending layers more I recommend heat setting each layer it will save you grief

Either way looking good and really it’s an artistic thing so you really need to just find what tricks fit your style. There really isn’t a right or wrong style either and you just need to find what fits your style.

No I get it only have about 200 to 250 baits painted so far. Just finished up a batch of 20 in perch pattren. I think they turned out pretty good. Also I don't sell my baits for a arm and a led like some custom painters do. Pretty much on par with the market. The perch I did took 6 diffren colors to achieve the pateren.

Gbuss

Smoky buck 09-23-2023 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbuss (Post 4662777)
No I get it only have about 200 to 250 baits painted so far. Just finished up a batch of 20 in perch pattren. I think they turned out pretty good. Also I don't sell my baits for a arm and a led like some custom painters do. Pretty much on par with the market. The perch I did took 6 diffren colors to achieve the pateren.

Gbuss

Pretty sure that is the pattern on your Facebook page and it will do the trick for sure

Gbuss 09-23-2023 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4662782)
Pretty sure that is the pattern on your Facebook page and it will do the trick for sure

It is. One of the reasons I bought these blanks is because they naturly stand up when on bottom and dont fall on their side.

Gbuss

Smoky buck 09-23-2023 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbuss (Post 4662784)
It is. One of the reasons I bought these blanks is because they naturly stand up when on bottom and dont fall on their side.

Gbuss

I have my hands full right now expanding my lure stuff and shifting into hunting season but come spring if you are still going at this we should talk

I am not far away if you are up for some kayak fishing and a BS about lures get in touch with me in the spring.

Gbuss 09-23-2023 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4662788)
I have my hands full right now expanding my lure stuff and shifting into hunting season but come spring if you are still going at this we should talk

I am not far away if you are up for some kayak fishing and a BS about lures get in touch with me in the spring.

You bet

JackieFisher 09-25-2023 10:32 AM

I've always wondered if it is a good idea to paint lures exactly like the real counterpart, since the real thing is trying to camouflage with countershading etc. :confused:Wouldn't it make sense to paint the top white and bottom dark, so that it is visible and resembles a dying fish? Some highly successful lures have insanely unrealistic look. I have no idea which way it should go and not enough data to back up either side.

WayneChristie 09-26-2023 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4662741)

best part of making your own!

Gbuss 10-30-2023 12:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some more pattrens i have painted. Man 8 love doing this