Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Sheep Gun, Sako or Browning??? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=84444)

m.mcrae 03-01-2011 04:02 PM

New Sheep Gun, Sako or Browning???

Looking at a new sheep rifle. Have a remington 700 in 300 win mag now, and looking to downsize in size and weight this year. Saw guys last summer hitting targets at 1200 yards with a .308, so that is the caliber i'm looking at, and planning on putting the new Leupold Canadian Edition scope on it with the drop compensation.

My question is what would be better, a sako finnlight in ss and composite, or a browning in ss and composite? I Like the 60 deg bolt on the x-bolt browning, but heard sako's are awesome, would like to find out if the finnlight is acctually $800 better than the browning. Never owned either, and suggestions would be appreciated. thanks,
Mike

timsesink 03-01-2011 04:14 PM

there's a great thread over in teh G &A Forum about this exact topic. End result: Save the $800 and spend it on nice optics (my own wraup :) )

tuffymitch1 03-01-2011 04:17 PM

X-Bolt all the way,there new rifles are awesome.I have a 300wsm,best rifle I have ever owned,seen,or shouldered!:sHa_shakeshout:

ACKLEY ABE 03-01-2011 04:24 PM

Sako all the way. by the way it has a 60 degreee bolt throw as well.

sheepguide 03-01-2011 04:37 PM

Buy my X-Bolt it already knows where to go:sHa_shakeshout:
But seriously id go with the X-Bolt for sure. I love mine. Only reason im getting rid of mine is because a Custom is taking its spot.
SG

redranger15 03-01-2011 04:38 PM

Brownings are AWESOME. There, now you heard they are as well.:sHa_shakeshout:
Love my X-bolt.:love0025:

wbyfireman 03-01-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timsesink (Post 851522)
there's a great thread over in teh G &A Forum about this exact topic. End result: Save the $800 and spend it on nice optics (my own wraup :) )

I agree, save your money and put a Swarovski Z5 3-18x44 with the ballistic turret. They are great scopes and will make shooting out to 700 yds easy.

m.mcrae 03-01-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE (Post 851542)
Sako all the way. by the way it has a 60 degreee bolt throw as well.

I was in wholesale yesterday and had the two sitting side by side, and the sako's bolt does go quite higher than the x-bolt. Don't think it would be high enough to interfere with the optics, but it is higher. Has anyone out there owned both rifles, and have likes and dislikes of each?

harv3589 03-01-2011 05:21 PM

I have a Sako 85 finnlite in a 25-06 and with a McMillan Edge stock it, its very light and my girlfriend who very small can carry it all day without an issue...guess I should say she has it not me. I can comment of the Browning but you wouldn't be disappointed with Sako by any means. Even my 30-06 which isnt the Finnlite is very light with the McMillan.

crawfy 03-01-2011 05:56 PM

I have owned a Sako 75 finnlite and a Browning A bolt both very nice guns however felt that the Sako was a nicer feeling/shooting gun, but as most have already said the Sako was about 900.00 bucks more.

Mike_W 03-01-2011 05:59 PM

Brownings are great guns I have an old a bolt and love it, I have yet to shoot an x bolt but have not heard anything bad.
That said sakos are wicked! finish and fit awesome a proven 5 shot moa just a great gun and everyone should find room for at least one in the safe.
I do not think you would be disappointed with either gun. You don't know what your missing if you never shoot a sako.

Mike

Twisted Canuck 03-01-2011 06:12 PM

Audi or Porshe.....Cadillac or Lincoln......Edsel or Nash? Ok, not the Edsel or Nash. I like the Sako, just fits me better (not that I have owned either, just shot friend's). The Browning is very nice too, but I don't personally care for them, just don't come to the shoulder like the Sako for me..... My thought is, why not get Corlanes to build you a dedicated sheep rifle? .280 AI? The .308 is awesome, but kinda vanilla (and I love the short action, don't get me wrong) I'd love to have one of their (Corlanes) units, and those boys certainly seem to know their stuff......And for optics, I've got a real hankering for a Huskemaw ever since the boys put one in my hands the other day. So nice....hmmmmmmm!

Have a look here:

http://www.rockymountainrifles.com/home.php
Oh yeah, what kind of money did you want to spend?:)

berjerkin 03-01-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisted canuck (Post 851662)
Edsel or Nash??

ha ha, nice!

Arn?Narn. 03-01-2011 08:58 PM

Sako....

HunterDan 03-01-2011 10:26 PM

X-bolt browning.

209x50 03-02-2011 07:28 AM

I've owned both in the exact same cartridge. The X-bolt is a very nice rifle for its price but comes up short when compared to the Sako Finnlight. Work the actions, try pushing the bolt in with a little lateral pressure trying to make it bind. The Sako will really shine and it should it does cost more than the X-Bolt. There is no problems mounting optics on either one.

JohnB 03-02-2011 07:44 AM

Sako.

Pathfinder76 03-02-2011 07:44 AM

Kimber 84M Montana.

Skybuster 03-02-2011 01:55 PM

SAKO or Browning

I just went through this evaluation myself. Here is the thread I started. It left me with pretty much a 50 / 50 opion split.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...highlight=sako

I ended up going with Sako. I believe it is a better gun, but I also found a style that really fit me, the Bavarian.

Good Luck.

Stinky Coyote 03-02-2011 03:53 PM

sako, it even has a crisp sharp accurate name.......browning? sounds like another term for skid mark.....eck ;) :)

Arn?Narn. 03-02-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 852341)
Kimber 84M Montana.

????????

Mike_W 03-02-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisted canuck (Post 851662)
Audi or Porshe.....Cadillac or Lincoln......Edsel or Nash? Ok, not the Edsel or Nash. I like the Sako, just fits me better (not that I have owned either, just shot friend's). The Browning is very nice too, but I don't personally care for them, just don't come to the shoulder like the Sako for me..... My thought is, why not get Corlanes to build you a dedicated sheep rifle? .280 AI? The .308 is awesome, but kinda vanilla (and I love the short action, don't get me wrong) I'd love to have one of their (Corlanes) units, and those boys certainly seem to know their stuff......And for optics, I've got a real hankering for a Huskemaw ever since the boys put one in my hands the other day. So nice....hmmmmmmm!

Have a look here:

http://www.rockymountainrifles.com/home.php
Oh yeah, what kind of money did you want to spend?:)

A better comparison is ford or BMW!!!! Both are good and have there followers just one is nicer and more expensive.

Alta_Redneck 03-02-2011 06:12 PM

i personaly love browning rifles. just wondering about your cartirdge choise. i own 2 different rifle chambered in 308. its a good round but is more challenging to shoot longer range as it is on the smaller side. if you plan on really stretching its legs you would need a angled base and a scope with lots of vertical adjustment. Ive only shot mine out to 500M once so far and found the wind to play havoc on my 168gr rounds.

Leno 03-02-2011 06:27 PM

Can't go wrong with Sako, werth the money

[QUOTE=m.mcrae;851502]Looking at a new sheep rifle. Have a remington 700 in 300 win mag now, and looking to downsize in size and weight this year. Saw guys last summer hitting targets at 1200 yards with a .308, so that is the caliber i'm looking at, and planning on putting the new Leupold Canadian Edition scope on it with the drop compensation.

My question is what would be better, a sako finnlight in ss and composite, or a browning in ss and composite? I Like the 60 deg bolt on the x-bolt browning, but heard sako's are awesome, would like to find out if the finnlight is acctually $800 better than the browning. Never owned either, and suggestions would be appreciated. thanks,
Mike[/QUO

BallCoeff.435 03-02-2011 06:36 PM

Browning blued Eclipse M1000 in 7mm. Yes, eclipse.

In addition to being a great motivator to get yourself in severely good shape before hitting the mountains (and then living 20 years longer and better than the fat bastards around you) it allows:

* much better follow-through on your long-distance shots than light rifles, for better, more consistent accuracy. Doubly so with the BAR brake. Remember, just being able to 'take' recoil is not the main problem. You also have to maintain constant sight picture on the target all throughout the shot until impact without moving the barrel. Heavy is good.

* the rifle to be used for more bench, prone, and stix practice than one with a spaghetti-barrel. Slower heating allows more shots before taking a break, so better practice.

* the inherent accuracy of the 7mm cartridge (which many bench competitors are migrating to from the 6.5-284)

* very good sheep-country (i.e. long range) technical accuracy out of the box.

* better hand-position with the thumbhole stock in prone or stix shooting positions used in longer shots. (sheep hunting is not 'shooting clays' or fast-moving deer at close range).

*it's cheaper than stainless but with the same laminated stock. Blueing really isn't that bad, either. They used to have this stuff called 'oil' which you could rub over blued metal with a little rag a couple of times a day resulting in no rust.

dollman 03-02-2011 06:40 PM

new sheep gun sako or browning

well i have a sako and a browning and if i had to buy a new gun it would be a browing,the sako is not what its made out tobe, its a nice gun because its more money, i thought it would shoot better than the browning xbolt ,well it dont, get a xbolt and save your money and a get a better scope good luck steve

Grouse Assassin 03-02-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 (Post 853221)

*it's cheaper than stainless but with the same laminated stock. Blueing really isn't that bad, either. They used to have this stuff called 'oil' which you could rub over blued metal with a little rag a couple of times a day resulting in no rust.

ahhhh yes oil what happened to that stuff? i never knew rust was such an issue with guns until stainless hit the scene take care of your equipment and it will love you forever!

Pathfinder76 03-02-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. (Post 852951)
????????

Did I stutter?:)

MountainTi 03-02-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 853305)
Did I stutter?:)

I believe he was referring to the original post titled " new sheep gun, sako or browning"
Kimber was not mentioned as as option :)

Stinky Coyote 03-02-2011 08:38 PM

oh yay, i'll break out the popcorn maker....pssss btw i think i heard a bit of a stu stu

:sHa_sarcasticlol: