Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   can i have a beer on my 12' boat? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=132603)

happyfisher 05-07-2012 10:12 PM

can i have a beer on my 12' boat?

anyone ran into this problem? Anyone know the rules? i hear the boat has to be anchored? or sleeping area?

thanks

NSRfishing 05-07-2012 10:23 PM

no drinking in boat

billie 05-07-2012 10:25 PM

Sure, they are $187 each or $115 during happy hour (if the CO is happy).

Ask me how I know:scared0018:

Geez, 2 lousy beer for a day or fishing.

SonnyJ 05-07-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSRfishing (Post 1429180)
no drinking in boat

Unless your boat looks like this..

http://vacation-indonesia.com/wp-con...1/04/yacht.jpg

jacobin 05-07-2012 10:32 PM

What about house boating??

If you aren't the driver, I know that people do drink on the boat while it is moving.

So is this a special circumstance?

I am just curious, as I will be house boating later this year and a dry boat would really suck.

jacobin

Alberta Bigbore 05-07-2012 10:34 PM

Take water or a diet pop

SonnyJ 05-07-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 1429203)
Take water or a diet pop

Or leave it back at the camper.

vcmm 05-07-2012 10:43 PM

There is a time and a place for everything.:thinking-006:

Agb Crash 05-07-2012 10:44 PM

Boat must have facilities and sleeping area. That is why it is allowed on houseboat.

happyfisher 05-07-2012 10:51 PM

boooo

i guess ill have a secret compartment....he he....:bad_boys_20:

Wes_G 05-07-2012 11:04 PM

Its still drinking and driving even though your not in your car. There needs to be way more enforcement out on the water for this type of stuff.

gl2 05-07-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes_G (Post 1429237)
Its still drinking and driving even though your not in your car. There needs to be way more enforcement out on the water for this type of stuff.

x2, people would pay attention if they started taking boats from people.

Geezle 05-07-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 1429203)
Take water or a diet pop

Diet pop? Is that code for Coors Light (training beer)?

Mike_W 05-07-2012 11:09 PM

No it's not allowed!
Yes it sucks that you can't even have one or two brew while enjoying the day but the problem is that many people can't stop and get carried away plus isnt water and boating dangerous enough?

You can have booze on a boat that has sleeping quarters and an anchor but that is on the speculation that you are going to anchor and sleep it off.

ishootbambi 05-08-2012 12:33 AM

some things dont mix. too many people die every year crossing alcohol and water. im not against drinking, but do it safely.....a boat isnt a safe place.

waterninja 05-08-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyJ (Post 1429189)

sonny i don't remember giving you permission to post a pic. of my canoe. if you look close you'll see me on the bridge deck in my red kimono.

Kim473 05-08-2012 05:58 AM

Sure you can have a beer on your 12 ft alluminum boat. Just make sure your parked in your garage at home getting ready for the trip tomorrow. No drinking allowed on a boat.

Alberta Bigbore 05-08-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezle (Post 1429242)
Diet pop? Is that code for Coors Light (training beer)?

what the heck are you drinking...lol. I bet you hang around bbj so much he's got you drinking that crappy rice beer Budweiser.

MDG, or Moosehead.....or nuthin' !

Geezle 05-08-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 1429448)
what the heck are you drinking...lol. I bet you hang around bbj so much he's got you drinking that crappy rice beer Budweiser.

MDG, or Moosehead.....or nuthin' !

Bud? Good lord no!

I like Moosehead, not such a fan of MGD though.

The Saskatchewan in me prefers Pil. :o

Bigdad013 05-08-2012 08:45 AM

You need sleeping quarters, a head, and cooking facilities. Anyone can drink onboard while underway, you don't need to be at anchor, the captain may not drink while the vessel is underway.

gilbertslake 05-08-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyfisher (Post 1429160)
anyone ran into this problem? Anyone know the rules? i hear the boat has to be anchored? or sleeping area?

thanks

Maybe you need to look at the stats on drownings among recreational boaters re. alcohol use...........

Canadian Red Cross shows that in 23% of drownings victims were over the limit, 9% were below legal limit but had been drinking and another 7% were suspected to have been drinking. So, almost 40% of drownings in recreational water-craft had been drinking!!!

drinking and boating is no different than drinking and driving, it leads to more risk taking, reaction times are slower and it is just plain stupid, when you are endangering the lives of others as well as your own.

Jamie Black R/T 05-08-2012 08:52 AM

i would be lying if i said i wouldnt pack a few cold beers on the boat if it was legal to do so....but i wouldnt pack enough to get drunk.

drunken fools ruined that for those of us who just want to have one or two while we enjoy a day on the water

oh well.....they taste that much better around the fire with some crispy fried walleye fillets

pophouseman 05-08-2012 09:10 AM

also, don't try and enjoy a beer while on shore having a fish fry either....learned that the hard way

Envitro 05-08-2012 09:41 AM

I've always wondered this as well.

I thought it was a hard-and-fast rule, no alcohol on board at all. I've never had beer on board but I've always wondered why my passengers couldn't enjoy a few cold ones while we're under way? My boat has a head, cuddy cabin to sleep, and a BBQ on board, so I would imagine we're fine.

While I would never boat and drink I don't see why everyone else can't have a beer or two?

Does anyone know the actual regs? I can't seem to get a consistent answer.

thorne 05-08-2012 09:44 AM

Just clarify, when people say its the same as drinking and driving, that's not metaphorical, its actually the law. You can be charged with operating a motor vehical over the legal limit and if convicted it will reflect on you drivers record and insurance premiums, not to mention the possibility of getting your drivers license suspended. People generally don't care about there personal safety...the wallet however is a different story..

Bigdad013 05-08-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Envitro (Post 1429597)
I've always wondered this as well.

I thought it was a hard-and-fast rule, no alcohol on board at all. I've never had beer on board but I've always wondered why my passengers couldn't enjoy a few cold ones while we're under way? My boat has a head, cuddy cabin to sleep, and a BBQ on board, so I would imagine we're fine.

While I would never boat and drink I don't see why everyone else can't have a beer or two?

Does anyone know the actual regs? I can't seem to get a consistent answer.

I can only quote the rcmp as they have checked me many times. My passengers were drinking in plain view. His explanation was, it is your home while on the water. As long as the driver is sober and not drinking, it is all good. As for your BBQ, you might be borderline as they told me you need permanent mounted cooking appliances, such as a stove. Now my boat sleeps 5 and has full facilities. It is my floating cabin

bardfromedson 05-08-2012 10:44 AM

i think the official law states" grow a set and try not to get caught"
section 2 of the law states"don't get stupid"
and section 3 states " if you cant handle your liquer leave it on shore"
and final section states "don't get the driver too drunk"

208prov 05-08-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdad013 (Post 1429653)
I can only quote the rcmp as they have checked me many times. My passengers were drinking in plain view. His explanation was, it is your home while on the water. As long as the driver is sober and not drinking, it is all good. As for your BBQ, you might be borderline as they told me you need permanent mounted cooking appliances, such as a stove. Now my boat sleeps 5 and has full facilities. It is my floating cabin

Your right with everything you said, But i was told by an officer that you need amooring point (a marina) this topic has came up lots in the meadow lake provincial park, a ton of people went out and bought new pontoon boats with bathrooms and the wardens said that no boat can be on the water with booze cause there is no mooring point, It is classed as a marina he says, not sure if this is 100% true but its their lives in risk. I dont take booze in my boat, i still remember my dads best friend that fell out of the boat taking a leak and then drowned.

Lambo 05-08-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pophouseman (Post 1429555)
also, don't try and enjoy a beer while on shore having a fish fry either....learned that the hard way

WHAT?! can't drink on shore either?! WTF?!

Bigdad013 05-08-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 208prov (Post 1429669)
Your right with everything you said, But i was told by an officer that you need amooring point (a marina) this topic has came up lots in the meadow lake provincial park, a ton of people went out and bought new pontoon boats with bathrooms and the wardens said that no boat can be on the water with booze cause there is no mooring point, It is classed as a marina he says, not sure if this is 100% true but its their lives in risk. I dont take booze in my boat, i still remember my dads best friend that fell out of the boat taking a leak and then drowned.

Not doubting what you were told, just doesn't add up. Houseboats find a beach and it's all good. I go up the lake, anchor in a little bay, and it's all good. It sounds like you were chatting with a park warden, I wouldn't put too much into that. I have had many conversations with them, they seem to think they know every rule in the book, from fishing regs to how to build a rocket but when you show them otherwise, usually they say, oh they must have changed that...lol...Just from my own personal interactions with them.
Normally I don't have booze in the boat except if we are doing a 2 or 3 day adventure up the lake, or take some friends out for an evening cruise.