Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Thinking about buying a new rod. (not a fly rod) (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=327750)

NSR Fisher 08-21-2017 12:32 PM

Thinking about buying a new rod. (not a fly rod)

Hey all, looking for some advice here on what type of rod to buy.

I have several rods in the 6'6" to 7' range and was looking for advice on maybe a slightly larger rod. Maybe 7'6" to 9' range and designed for larger fish.

I'm doing fine with what I have but I want to start targeting larger pike & even some occasional Sturgeon so any and all advice would be helpful!

looking to keep the budged under 200$

Walleyedude 08-21-2017 03:02 PM

The Fishin' Hole Wall to Wall sale is on this week, head down there and talk to their guys. They know their stuff and they'll point you in the right direction and the best part is it'll be the lowest prices of the year.

Etownpaul 08-21-2017 05:52 PM

I have an Abu Garcia abassedeur reel ($99 on sale @ fishing hole) and a cheaper Diawa Frontier 8'6" MH rod ($40 on clearance @ WSS) running 50lb bulk power pro ($40) as my big pike/ sturgeon rig and I really like it. I haul in more suckers and walleye than anything else with it but it's definitely got the heft to handle a big fish.

The only sturgeon I hooked spooled me out and snapped the 30lb line I had on it, so I've since upgraded to a full reel of 50lb braid.

NSR Fisher 08-21-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etownpaul (Post 3607632)
I have an Abu Garcia abassedeur reel ($99 on sale @ fishing hole) and a cheaper Diawa Frontier 8'6" MH rod ($40 on clearance @ WSS) running 50lb bulk power pro ($40) as my big pike/ sturgeon rig and I really like it. I haul in more suckers and walleye than anything else with it but it's definitely got the heft to handle a big fish.

The only sturgeon I hooked spooled me out and snapped the 30lb line I had on it, so I've since upgraded to a full reel of 50lb braid.

I ended up at WSS this afternoon and picked up a 9ft Shimano Scimitar rod. Nice & thin tip with great sensitivity as well as a strong back bone for pulling a fish with some weight. Buddy said he used them for Steelhead fishing so I should have no issue catching anything with some fight in it!

Great part about it is that it's still sensitive enough to jig up a walleye if I needed to.

RavYak 08-21-2017 09:48 PM

I think you might find that rod is a little under gunned especially when it comes to casting. That rod is only rated for 1.5 ounces whereas you will want to be able to chuck 2-6 oz lures/weights for both big pike and sturgeon.

I have been using a Gloomis 7'6 IMX swimbait rod rated for 4 oz this summer as my heavier pike rod and I quite like it. A bit lighter then I hoped so I can't toss the big lures with it but it handles most of what I usually use and had no trouble with the few 15-25 lbers I caught this year. The 6 oz model probably would have been nice for some lures but overall I am happy with it. Probably not what you are looking for though since they are expensive and have to be custom ordered, I just was mentioning to give an idea of what I think weight rating for a good big pike rod should be. 1-1.5 oz is what I like for an average pike rod.

I also have a 6 oz rated salmon rod that I have tried for pike but I found it a bit too long and too soft, you need to be able to get a good hook set especially when using the larger lures with big trebles, that is one of the reasons most musky lures are like tree trunks. 7'6 to 8' is probably the longest I would want to go on a pike rod unless I wanted a dedicated musky type rod.

I do use that salmon rod as my sturgeon rod though and it works decent for that, a bit soft but plenty of backbone when you get to it. A good sturgeon still gives it a workout though and I wouldn't want anything much lighter. A 4+ ft sturgeon in current is much stronger then a steelhead, just saying ;).

One rod that is reasonably priced and I really like the looks of for sturgeon is the Fenwick Predator trolling rod that The Fishin Hole sells. A good blend of sensitive tip, moderate fast action to help fight the fish and strong back bone that is perfect for our sturgeon. It would also work as a bigger pike rod too but is a bit on the heavy side for that if chucking lures all day but if you need something that can do both at a reasonable price point it is one of the better choices.

Which brings me to another point. Not sure if the rod you bought was spinning or casting but if you are serious into pike and especially big pike fishing as well as sturgeon fishing you can't beat a baitcaster. I really like the larger capacity low profile reels like the Curado 300e, Revo Toro S50 and new Tranx 300 but they aren't the cheapest options(Curado might be able ot find decent since they are discontinued now though). The round Abu C4's as an example are decent too just not as nice especially for pike.

NSR Fisher 08-21-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavYak (Post 3607833)
I think you might find that rod is a little under gunned especially when it comes to casting. That rod is only rated for 1.5 ounces whereas you will want to be able to chuck 2-6 oz lures/weights for both big pike and sturgeon.

I have been using a Gloomis 7'6 IMX swimbait rod rated for 4 oz this summer as my heavier pike rod and I quite like it. A bit lighter then I hoped so I can't toss the big lures with it but it handles most of what I usually use and had no trouble with the few 15-25 lbers I caught this year. The 6 oz model probably would have been nice for some lures but overall I am happy with it. Probably not what you are looking for though since they are expensive and have to be custom ordered, I just was mentioning to give an idea of what I think weight rating for a good big pike rod should be. 1-1.5 oz is what I like for an average pike rod.

I also have a 6 oz rated salmon rod that I have tried for pike but I found it a bit too long and too soft, you need to be able to get a good hook set especially when using the larger lures with big trebles, that is one of the reasons most musky lures are like tree trunks. 7'6 to 8' is probably the longest I would want to go on a pike rod unless I wanted a dedicated musky type rod.

I do use that salmon rod as my sturgeon rod though and it works decent for that, a bit soft but plenty of backbone when you get to it. A good sturgeon still gives it a workout though and I wouldn't want anything much lighter. A 4+ ft sturgeon in current is much stronger then a steelhead, just saying ;).

One rod that is reasonably priced and I really like the looks of for sturgeon is the Fenwick Predator trolling rod that The Fishin Hole sells. A good blend of sensitive tip, moderate fast action to help fight the fish and strong back bone that is perfect for our sturgeon. It would also work as a bigger pike rod too but is a bit on the heavy side for that if chucking lures all day but if you need something that can do both at a reasonable price point it is one of the better choices.

Which brings me to another point. Not sure if the rod you bought was spinning or casting but if you are serious into pike and especially big pike fishing as well as sturgeon fishing you can't beat a baitcaster. I really like the larger capacity low profile reels like the Curado 300e, Revo Toro S50 and new Tranx 300 but they aren't the cheapest options(Curado might be able ot find decent since they are discontinued now though). The round Abu C4's as an example are decent too just not as nice especially for pike.

Yeah I agree for heavier lures I will need to get a thicker rod and I may only use it as a backup for Sturgeon.

I was eyeing a different rig that could handle up to 6oz so maybe I'll upgrade once I decide to treat myself again.

I'm just starting my collection so give it time :-) Appreciate the advice!

*edit* I actually just checked the rating on my other 7' rod and its actually rated 2-4oz so I'll definitely be packing that on my trip this weekend up north!

Dragless 08-22-2017 06:17 AM

Id go fly rod good luck

Kim473 08-24-2017 05:12 AM

Love my pflueger.