Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cleveland Indians Chief Whoo logo targeted in Canadian lawsuit (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=304963)

stringer 10-17-2016 03:42 PM

Cleveland Indians Chief Whoo logo targeted in Canadian lawsuit

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...m_name_ch.html

Okotokian 10-17-2016 03:52 PM

Not sure it's illegal to be offensive. "Offensive" is in the eye of the beholder. Wonder on what basis a court could tell a team they can't use a name.

In the end, all the native-related sports team names and traditions will disappear. It's just too much hassle. Eskimos will come up with something different.

ETOWNCANUCK 10-17-2016 04:00 PM

How much dumber can the human race get?

sjr 10-17-2016 04:04 PM

Waiting for Justin Trudeau and Grand Chief Stewart Phillip to pipe in on CBC :budo:

whiteout 10-17-2016 04:12 PM

If they are complaining that they don't like being depicted as a cartoon , then switch it to a depiction that has basis in fact. I'm sure they'd hate factual depictions much more than the cartoon version.

Redwillow 10-17-2016 04:14 PM

People are so sensitive and Social media has just made it explode

abhunter8 10-17-2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK (Post 3360697)
How much dumber can the human race get?

^ This!!!

DiabeticKripple 10-17-2016 04:16 PM

it got thrown out in court, as it should be

Bushmaster 10-17-2016 04:23 PM

And I think if we dug back in history we would likely find that the names were chosen to honor said peoples, not deride them.

Mulehahn 10-17-2016 04:27 PM

I hope they win and all last 2 games in the Bluejays season are played back in Cleveland. That will shut them up. Nothing against the Jays, just really hate Toronto. (Yes I have soent quite a bit of time there)

Mikeham 10-17-2016 04:28 PM

Perhaps, but I think those same people have the right to revoke their implicit support (if there ever was such support...). People don't like being known as a caricature.

Okotokian 10-17-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushmaster (Post 3360718)
And I think if we dug back in history we would likely find that the names were chosen to honor said peoples, not deride them.

This. Times change and names are viewed differently for sure, but I would contend that team owners and cities don't use (or at least originally select) team names they think are not worthy of respect. Nobody names their teams the New York Nazis or the Pittsburgh Perverts.

Now even I would say the Washington "Redskins" is a name that's time is long past. Atlanta Braves still seems complimentary to me. So far... But the issue really isn't about whether the name is derogatory or not. The issue has become cultural ownership and the feeling among some aboriginals that white people should not be allowed to "appropriate" any aboriginal name, article of clothing, tradition, etc.

avb3 10-17-2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3360727)
This. Times change and names are viewed differently for sure, but I would contend that team owners and cities don't use (or at least originally select) team names they think are not worthy of respect. Nobody names their teams the New York Nazis or the Pittsburgh Perverts.

Now even I would say the Washington "Redskins" is a name that's time is long past. Atlanta Braves still seems complimentary to me. So far... But the issue really isn't about whether the name is derogatory or not. The issue has become cultural ownership and the feeling among some aboriginals that white people should not be allowed to "appropriate" any aboriginal name, article of clothing, tradition, etc.

What is is with this "cultural appropriation" crap?

Should white's be offended that FN adopted guns, horses, vehicles, optics, or electronics?

Fried chicken came from the South of the US. Who the heck decided it was a black, white or FN thing all of a sudden?

Seriously, there are real issues of discrimination. Leave the "appropriation" garbage in the dust bin where it belongs.

Mikeham 10-17-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3360727)

Perhaps aboriginal people no longer feel honoured by the name, and wish to no longer be a mascot or sports team name. I think it's reasonable to respect that. It's easy to proclaim that it's a tradition, but it's also a name of a cultural group that's been **** on a lot over the last 200+ years.

Rio56 10-17-2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3360688)
Not sure it's illegal to be offensive. "Offensive" is in the eye of the beholder. Wonder on what basis a court could tell a team they can't use a name.

In the end, all the native-related sports team names and traditions will disappear. It's just too much hassle. Eskimos will come up with something different.

times are changing ... listened to a radio show on this and it's like " I'm from the old school " well it's out and times are changing ... you right names will be gone

HalfBreed 10-17-2016 05:09 PM

I think it's more offensive to those from continental India. I know I don't want to be associated with the original people of that continent, yet here we are.

gman1978 10-17-2016 05:09 PM

What next!!! I am well aware of some of the social issues and suicides epidemics that are affecting the reserves/ native communities. I think it's offencive that this chief is more concerned with a a sports team name than the real issues that his people are dealing with. Does he stand to profit somehow from this lawsuit?

catnthehat 10-17-2016 05:18 PM

Strange how the majority just don't care or are even proud of their team names yet some go crazy and wave the race card .
I can remember a ver proud ( and excellent )native Lacrosse club that called themselves the Warriors and they were from a reserve !:confused:
Remember the big todo about the Savage Arms logo?
Cat

Grizzly Adams 10-17-2016 05:20 PM

Hey, no more cheering for the Edmonton Eskimos. Edmonton Inuit or Dene just doesn't hack it. :lol:

Grizz

rugatika 10-17-2016 05:26 PM

What a bunch of babies. Grow up and get a life

stringer 10-17-2016 05:27 PM

The politically correct manifesto

"Whoever is declared the biggest victim gets to be the biggest bully "

Rio56 10-17-2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringer (Post 3360773)
The politically correct manifesto

"Whoever is declared the biggest victim gets to be the biggest bully "

pretty much so .... immigration as nothing to do with this:sad0071:

Mikeham 10-17-2016 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3360764)
Strange how the majority just don't care or are even proud of their team names yet some go crazy and wave the race card .
I can remember a ver proud ( and excellent )native Lacrosse club that called themselves the Warriors and they were from a reserve !:confused:
Remember the big todo about the Savage Arms logo?
Cat

The key there is that the aboriginal people named themselves Warriors. Cleveland has no such position.

bat119 10-17-2016 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3360765)
Hey, no more cheering for the Edmonton Eskimos. Edmonton Inuit or Dene just doesn't hack it. :lol:

Grizz

The cree word for the people in the north is ayaskîmow the early white settlers pronounced and spelled it eskimo

So to be politically correct it should be the Edmonton ayaskîmow's

catnthehat 10-17-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360780)
The key there is that the aboriginal people named themselves Warriors. Cleveland has no such position.

Yeah, so it's okay for a group of people to call themselves something but no one else if it concerns race, creed or color.
How messed up is that:confused:
Cat

catnthehat 10-17-2016 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat119 (Post 3360786)
The cree word for the people in the north is ayaskîmow the early white settlers pronounced and spelled it eskimo

So to be politically correct it should be the Edmonton ayaskîmow's

Hmm, see post# 49!:thinking-006:

Cat

hawk-i 10-17-2016 06:32 PM

Cardinal won't win this case, just a total waste of time. :(

Mikeham 10-17-2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3360797)
Yeah, so it's okay for a group of people to call themselves something but no one else if it concerns race, creed or color.
How messed up is that:confused:
Cat

Not at all messed up. When you've been the target of racism and cultural genocide and the people using your name as a team mascot to make millions of dollars are the very same people who have tried to kill you for hundreds of years?

Yeah, I get why they're sensitive about it.

bigskinner 10-17-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360830)
Not at all messed up. When you've been the target of racism and cultural genocide and the people using your name as a team mascot to make millions of dollars are the very same people who have tried to kill you for hundreds of years?

Yeah, I get why they're sensitive about it.

An lndian is an lndian is an lndian ,similar to an east indian , native Indians need to be proud , nothing racist about what or who you are.

Mikeham 10-17-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigskinner (Post 3360841)
An lndian is an lndian is an lndian ,similar to an east indian , native Indians need to be proud , nothing racist about what or who you are.

Of course, but aboriginal people get to decide how to be proud. Rich white guys dont get that privilege.