Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone unlock their cell phones for free since the new legislation? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337230)

Spidey 01-13-2018 06:52 PM

Anyone unlock their cell phones for free since the new legislation?

Just upgraded my workphone with Telus and I want to unlock my old 5c to use when travelling in the U.S. A Roam mobility sim card is $10 and their unlimited talk/text/data plan is only $5/day.

Can the unlock be done over the phone, or do I have to go into a Telus store?

WCTHEMI 01-13-2018 06:55 PM

Over the phone. You need to give them the ESN I believe so they unlock the correct phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trochu 01-13-2018 07:45 PM

Will they still do it if it's not on a current plan?

Spidey 01-13-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 3708649)

I hope so.

TylerThomson 01-13-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 3708649)

Yes they have to by law. I think the only way they won't is if they believe you are doing it in an attempt to defraud them.

ak-71 01-13-2018 08:23 PM

Just unlocked my Koodo phone. Called a week ago to get a code, unlocked yesterday to use local sim card (I am abroad). No issues at all.

HunterDave 01-13-2018 10:35 PM

Yup. I did it on the computer using the chat feature with my service provider. No issues.

neznam 01-13-2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 3708615)
Just upgraded my workphone with Telus and I want to unlock my old 5c to use when travelling in the U.S. A Roam mobility sim card is $10 and their unlimited talk/text/data plan is only $5/day.

Can the unlock be done over the phone, or do I have to go into a Telus store?

Log in to your Apple account and insert different sim card and the phone will be unlocked by Apple. I got my wife's phone unlocked this way.

ayman76 01-14-2018 12:09 AM

You can unlock it yourself , if you are with Telus, just dial *611 and enter option 2 and provide your phone IMEI # that can be found in your phone under About tab as follow : settings > General>About . After providing your IMEI number the system will provide you a code that you need to write down and then turn off the phone and put the sim you like to use in and keep tapping on the insert valid sim message it will ask you to enter the unlock code, click inside the box so you can get the keyboard and then enter the code you collected from the system after that it should display a message saying your phone is unlocked . That's all hope you can benefit from that

Sent from my iPhone X 256GB using Tapatalk

fordtruckin 01-14-2018 09:33 AM

Does this only work on phones from Canadian providers? I have my old i6i used with Verizon down here in the USA I would give to my parents to use when they visit if it could be done.

fishduck 01-14-2018 12:21 PM

I did mine with Telus.
My wife did hers with Koodo.
My Brother and sister in law did theirs with Bell.

It was painless and quick for all of us.

Helgs28 01-16-2018 09:34 AM

Let's say I were to get an old phone from a friend locked to a specific provider.... would they (the friend) have to call in and give some sort of their private info or can I simply just call and get it unlocked, "no questions" asked?

gmcmax05 01-16-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helgs28 (Post 3710320)
Let's say I were to get an old phone from a friend locked to a specific provider.... would they (the friend) have to call in and give some sort of their private info or can I simply just call and get it unlocked, "no questions" asked?

Let's say the phone is stolen, & you want to know if the person that had it stolen reported it stolen? Ya there might be some questions asked lol.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

does it ALL outdoors 01-16-2018 03:30 PM

Bell is not allways unlocking them as required by law.
They think if you are not a current customer they don't have to do it for free.

Scroll through the comments after the story to see what a great company Bell is. They have to be Canada's worst company to deal with hands down

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell...king-1.4446825