Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Who's hunting traditional this year? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=330432)

fatboyz 09-30-2017 07:18 AM

Who's hunting traditional this year?

My season has been slow. I haven't gotten out as much as I'd like. Working the forest fires early sept. killed my time off for a moose hunt. I'm using my bamboo backed Osage rudder bows longbow that I got from Pete W. I haven't been fortunate enough for success with it yet. We'll see how this weekend pans out.

shooter12 09-30-2017 08:55 AM

I used to do it a lot in the past , until they closed our Calgary archery club.
But , without enough practice , use it only for grouse not a big game.
When I need meat my Bowtech Destroyer 340 comes with me in a bushes .
If freezer is full its time for 55 lb Savana to go there.
Now , my freezer is almost full!
So , its time for long bow.
Like them both !

pchunter 10-02-2017 07:04 PM

First year hunting with the recurve. So far shot a mule doe at 18 yard spot and stock but really want an elk. Still have time, archery season is not over yet. I totally commit myself to the trad bow this year so my compound have spent most of the year in the closet. Good luck to all.

fatboyz 10-05-2017 06:58 AM

Wow, only three of us! I guess everyone else is hunting the "easy" way for archery/ LOL good luck everyone.

Ryall 10-05-2017 11:46 AM

This is my first year hunting Trad as well. I've been out twice and had deer within 10 yards but no shot. Played "freeze tag" with a mule doe one weekend on three different occasions.

Only thing I've shot so far is a coyote. It was one in a group of three that came up on me as I was hiding out behind a bail. Wrecked the spot for the morning.

Mauser 10-05-2017 09:14 PM

I am hunting and love traditional way

I have been trying many times but nothing yet. Tomorrow I will try again, and will do it solo, again. I will never stop trying doing this way. I think it is the most pure and natural way, brings you back to the basics and gets you closer to the essence of the true hunting spirit. I would love to have someone go hunting with, that will think the same way and enjoy it as much as I do.

Cheers,

calgarychef 10-05-2017 09:21 PM

Add me to the list

Knotter 10-12-2017 09:45 AM

Me too...

but not always.

petew 10-16-2017 02:15 AM

Count me in on the list.

muirsy 10-17-2017 10:34 AM

Another recurve shooter here.

Haven't had a shot opportunity just yet, but the next couple weeks I believe that will change as I continue to figure out the spot I hunt.

Searching for my first archery kill, and wont be picky thats for sure.

Good luck to all of those who choose the struggle-stick!

dmcbride 10-19-2017 11:45 AM

I am, although haven't got out as much as I would like, work kids ect. I am really liking the Border Griffon Long Bow I got of Pete. Thanks.

DalyShooter 10-19-2017 12:52 PM

Not hunt ready...yet

This is my second year of practice with my Bodnik Phantom longbow. I don't shoot it nearly as much as I would like, but am having fun trying to figure things out. I'm looking forward to the day I can take it out hunting...

Good luck everyone!

Doug

Ozzzzz 10-19-2017 03:38 PM

Trying...

This is my first real year of getting out with my Bear SK. Nothing yet, but it's gonna happen soon!:thinking-006:

bushpilot 10-26-2017 08:33 AM

All I hunt with these days

petew 10-29-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcbride (Post 3647293)
I am, although haven't got out as much as I would like, work kids ect. I am really liking the Border Griffon Long Bow I got of Pete. Thanks.

That is a special bow. Glad you are enjoying it.

58thecat 11-20-2017 08:05 AM

So being a lefty any recommendations to a recurve bow and accessories?

muirsy 12-07-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 3671312)
So being a lefty any recommendations to a recurve bow and accessories?

I'm a lefty as well and have been super happy with my 50lb Sammick Sage.

I had Dennis at Git R Done Archery here in Calgary build me some arrows and get a new string setup and couldn't be happier.

Altaboy 12-07-2017 06:46 PM

I spent 10 years hunting with nothing but long bows and recurves fairly successfuly taking whitetails moose and a couple of mule deer. I made bows for my self and also for sale. Turning the bow building into a part time business was a huge mistake. Too much of a good thing. I sold most everything and got into rifle hunting. It’s now been 18 years since I gave it up and I’m feeling the urge again. I’m gonna blow the dust off the stick bows that I kept and fletch up some cedars and get back at it. The satisfaction one gets from taking a game animal with a traditional bow is pretty hard to beat

58thecat 12-07-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muirsy (Post 3684420)
I'm a lefty as well and have been super happy with my 50lb Sammick Sage.

I had Dennis at Git R Done Archery here in Calgary build me some arrows and get a new string setup and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the insight. That's a good looking bow.

fatboyz 12-08-2017 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altaboy (Post 3684543)
I spent 10 years hunting with nothing but long bows and recurves fairly successfuly taking whitetails moose and a couple of mule deer. I made bows for my self and also for sale. Turning the bow building into a part time business was a huge mistake. Too much of a good thing. I sold most everything and got into rifle hunting. It’s now been 18 years since I gave it up and I’m feeling the urge again. I’m gonna blow the dust off the stick bows that I kept and fletch up some cedars and get back at it. The satisfaction one gets from taking a game animal with a traditional bow is pretty hard to beat

I have some seasoned western Yew staves ready to go. Hopefully I'll have a new bow to try next season!

muirsy 12-08-2017 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 3684573)
Thanks for the insight. That's a good looking bow.

For $180 or so, I don’t think a guy could do much better. It was my first bow so didn’t want to break the bank!

Redneck 7 12-09-2017 05:11 AM

I hunt with a recurve, Martin X-150 45lbs. Sold my compounds years ago because traditional is so much more fun and challenging. I'm hoping to have more time next year to go after a nice muly.

nolan-sawka 12-28-2017 03:58 PM

Can’t wait to get after spring Bear, food plot and get stands hung in the summer for fall.
Got a brand new bear AuSable 60#

StiksnStrings 12-31-2017 11:14 AM

Been hunting with one of Jack Kempfs QuikStyks for a while now. Arrowed a nice fat WT doe from the ground this Oct.