Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hunting reg. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=378948)

308 man 04-01-2020 11:27 AM

Hunting reg.

Is there any thing for over 80 hunters who can't wait for 8 or 9 years to apply for a zone. I know asking for special privileges is iffy.

calgarychef 04-01-2020 12:11 PM

Nope, gotta wait your turn like everyone else.
I’d think that anyone 80 yrs. old has had lots and lots of great hunting opportunities and wouldn’t want to jump the line to take someone else’s opportunities.

elkhunter11 04-01-2020 12:14 PM

A partner license may be an option, if he can team up with someone that draws a tag.

MyAlberta 04-01-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 308 man (Post 4139328)
Is there any thing for over 80 hunters who can't wait for 8 or 9 years to apply for a zone. I know asking for special privileges is iffy.

You might wrangle a discount from a guiding service

Smoky buck 04-01-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyAlberta (Post 4139374)
You might wrangle a discount from a guiding service

I bet they had lots of cancellations this year

1stLand 04-01-2020 12:48 PM

go on Ancestry.com and check and see if you have any metis or aboriginal relatives. If you could prove your aboriginal ancestry or metis heritage you could apply for a status card.

Had a buddy who did this.

This is one way for you to get special hunting privileges like my buddy.

huntinstuff 04-01-2020 02:55 PM

Oh good grief

80????

When I turn 80, Im gonna hunt with a handgun

If I get caught Ill plead.....

Bushrat 04-01-2020 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4139505)
Oh good grief

80????

When I turn 80, Im gonna hunt with a handgun

If I get caught Ill plead.....

Wear pyjamas while hunting, plead dementia.

whitetail Junkie 04-01-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4139371)
A partner license may be an option, if he can team up with someone that draws a tag.

That’s my plan!...Dad is 65 in 2.5 years and will be getting the partner licence on all my special draw tags.

leo 04-01-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 308 man (Post 4139328)

I need to ask what it is you want out of this hunt? Do you need the meat desperately? Do you just want to get out and enjoy what you love doing, regardless whether you get anything or not? Or do you want a trophy? I guarantee some of the good people of this site would happy to share their meat with you, and a bunch more would be proud to take a man of your experience out hunting just for the enjoyment of it. I know I would. When it comes to collecting a trophy, that is a very personal thing, and you’re gonna have to wait in line.

Bigjohn87 04-01-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie (Post 4139785)
That’s my plan!...Dad is 65 in 2.5 years and will be getting the partner licence on all my special draw tags.

According to the Regs he would only be eligible on special License moose tags.

I would like to see that changed, you should be able to designate a YOUTH or Parent on ANY special license draw.

whitetail Junkie 04-02-2020 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjohn87 (Post 4139852)
According to the Regs he would only be eligible on special License moose tags.

I would like to see that changed, you should be able to designate a YOUTH or Parent on ANY special license draw.

Taken out of the Alberta hunting regulations.....

3. Resident hunters successful in drawing a Special Licence in any of the other Draws may designate one eligible resident youth (12 to 17 years of age) or senior (65 years of age and over) to be a partner on their Special Licence.

Antelope,Elk,Moose,Deer,Sheep,Turkey...once Any old timer cracks 65 years old they can buy a partner licence for $12.00 on ANY special licence draw up to a certain limit as shown in the regulations.The information can be found under the “licensing and costs” header on the Alberta hunting regulations website.

Ranger CS 04-02-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie (Post 4139894)

3. Resident hunters successful in drawing a Special Licence in any of the other Draws may designate one eligible resident youth (12 to 17 years of age) or senior (65 years of age and over) to be a partner on their Special Licence.

Antelope,Elk,Moose,Deer,Sheep,Turkey...once Any old timer cracks 65 years old they can buy a partner licence for $12.00 on ANY special licence draw up to a certain limit as shown in the regulations.The information can be found under the “licensing and costs” header on the Alberta hunting regulations website.

A detail to be aware of:
I learned last fall that the senior can not have purchased a tag for the species he or she wants to apply for partner tag for. For example I purchased an antlered elk tag to hunt elk during the regular season. I did not fill my bull elk tag. I applied for a Partner tag to hunt with my wife during the late cow season and was denied. My wife and I are both over 65. It turned out that she successfully killed a cow elk on her own. It would have been nice if I could have accompanied her with a fire arm.

Bigjohn87 04-02-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie (Post 4139894)

Yes you are 100% correct, I misread Adult for senior in my intial post

elkhunter11 04-02-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger CS (Post 4139935)
A detail to be aware of:
I learned last fall that the senior can not have purchased a tag for the species he or she wants to apply for partner tag for. For example I purchased an antlered elk tag to hunt elk during the regular season. I did not fill my bull elk tag. I applied for a Partner tag to hunt with my wife during the late cow season and was denied. My wife and I are both over 65. It turned out that she successfully killed a cow elk on her own. It would have been nice if I could have accompanied her with a fire arm.

If you look at the charts of allowable tags , it clearly states exactly what combinations a resident can apply for or hold. To avoid any potential issues, a person needs to look at the charts before applying for any special licenses.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...encecosts.html

Page 10 below

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/387d...et-may2019.pdf

Ranger CS 04-02-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4140004)
If you look at the charts of allowable tags , it clearly states exactly what combinations a resident can apply for or hold. To avoid any potential issues, a person needs to look at the charts before applying for any special licenses.

Page 10 below

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/387d...et-may2019.pdf

I understand, however it is not clearly stated. I was not applying for an antlerless elk tag. I simply wanted to purchase a partner tag to accompany my wife as she hunted under the authority of her tag.

elkhunter11 04-02-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger CS (Post 4140146)
I understand, however it is not clearly stated. I was not applying for an antlerless elk tag. I simply wanted to purchase a partner tag to accompany my wife as she hunted under the authority of her tag.

It is very clearly stated, a partner license is a license, so all license restrictions listed in the charts apply. There is no partner tag, the person that holds the tag that was issued to him/her, has the only tag, there is only a partner license that allows a partner to help the tag holder fill the tag that was issued to him/her.

Lefty-Canuck 04-02-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger CS (Post 4139935)
A detail to be aware of:

It has always been this way, you cannot go buy a general moose tag... and then partner on someone’s draw tag. I honestly did not think you could partner on a cow elk tag unless the partner was for a youth?

LC

elkhunter11 04-02-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4140273)
It has always been this way, you cannot go buy a general moose tag... and then partner on someone’s draw tag. I honestly did not think you could partner on a cow elk tag unless the partner was for a youth?

LC

The new senior partner licenses are available for antlerless elk, but since they are a license, the holder must comply with the license restrictions. Some people don't use the correct terminology, and get confused as a result. They look for a partner tag, which doesn't exist in Alberta.

Ranger CS 04-02-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4140280)
The new senior partner licenses are available for antlerless elk, but since they are a license, the holder must comply with the license restrictions. Some people don't use the correct terminology, and get confused as a result. They look for a partner tag, which doesn't exist in Alberta.

I realize a partner licence is a licence. Since you are an expert on interpreting this section of the regulations, please clarify by citing the specific section you are referring to.

elkhunter11 04-02-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger CS (Post 4140358)
I realize a partner licence is a licence. Since you are an expert on interpreting this section of the regulations, please clarify by citing the specific section you are referring to.

I already did that in post #15. The charts specify exactly which licenses a resident can hold.

Scroll to this

Quote:

RESIDENT LICENCE COSTS AND COMBINATIONS (BIG GAME)
Scroll down to the elk section in the chart, and look for this in the restriction column of the chart

Quote:

A Resident Youth/Senior may obtain only one of these 10 licences.

Ranger CS 04-02-2020 03:23 PM

I now see what you are referring to. Thanks for clarifying.